Do jw's have any concept of numbers re: population?

by carla 13 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I was just thinking about how jw's like to brag about having 8 million members world wide and thought I might look up just what those numbers really mean in the big scheme of things. Back in the day when me & my jw were still discussing anything jw he thought that 8 million people couldn't be wrong. I tried to tell him what a minuscule amount that really is to no avail.

If the big A happened and all 8 million jw's made it into the 'new system' they would all fit in the state of Virginia, in 2016 the population was 8.412 million.

How about big cities? what are some of the populations there? (2015 numbers)

New York City, USA -20.6 million people

Beijing, China- 21 million people

Seoul-Incheon, South Korea -23.48 million people

Delhi, India - 24.9 million people

Those are just a few of the mega cities. How do jw's plan to meet up with their brethren from all over the world? I am assuming power lines and such will be down? who will produce the salt box houses they like to picture with the panda bears and tigers on the freshly mowed lawns?

In the past he said that first the jw's have to help God clean everything up after the birds help clean up eyeballs and flesh from our bones then the hard work will come and then the nice parts shown on the covers of wt's & asleeps can happen. When asked practical questions of who will produce goods, cars, plane travel? etc.... my jw seemed to have some fuzzy idea that God would somehow magically make things wonderful again. Like a magic wand?

I'm not saying God couldn't do miracles but if He was going to then he surely wouldn't need jw's to clean up bones would He? don't jw's think of this? or is it best for them not to speculate with each other for fear of being considered weak? What do the elders have to say when asked?

I suppose they say nobody really knows we just have to trust blah, blah, blah?

I digress, I think I am forgetting all previous jw's who ever lived. However the jw's who lived in 1918, 1920,30's, 40's, etc.. would have apostate thinking by today's standards. How do they get up to speed? what if they refuse? How do all gb members who ever lived get along? Will Knorr or Rutherford like the idea of a group of gb members instead of themselves ruling?

Do jw's ever ponder such silly questions themselves?

I now feel stupider even thinking and posting this. Is it 5:00 somewhere?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I now feel stupider even thinking and posting this. Is it 5:00 somewhere?

First, LOL! about the part that I quoted. It's 5pm here, so by all means...

Not only what you state makes perfect sense, but if you look at statistics of memberships of other religious organizations, the WT looks even more pathetic.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And, if you believe the threats from the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, I would expect closer to 1 million--maybe even fewer that are true enough to the religion and have the "right" motive. To heaven with Virginia--I would expect all those that would be "worthy" of making joke-hova's so-called paradise to be more like New Hampshire. How would a New Hampshire's worth of population inherit the whole earth, to boot without the technology to monitor everything?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    New York City, USA -20.6 million people
    Beijing, China- 21 million people
    Seoul-Incheon, South Korea -23.48 million people
    Delhi, India - 24.9 million people

How are they going to get all those giant fruits and veggies without all that worldly "people fertilizer" !!!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

he thought that 8 million people couldn't be wrong.

Really?

65 million voted for Obama in 2012

62 million voted for Trump in 2016

Personally, I think they both groups could be considered "wrong".

• steve2
    steve2

JWs care little about the context of the numbers they throw around: 8 million-plus brothers and sisters! Wow! What a huge crowd. 20 million at the memorial! Look at the promise of greater growth! Double wow!

To fish in a little aquarium, the bowl is all the world they need to know.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

JWs think they are the only ones that matter.

Image result for they think they are the only ones in heaven

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Quote:

"my jw seemed to have some fuzzy idea that God would somehow magically make things wonderful again. Like a magic wand?"

Well said..... that is all they can do in the face of practical reasoning. ... There is nothing like blind faith and wanting it to be true.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    carla - "...my JW seemed to have some fuzzy idea that God would somehow magically make things wonderful again..."

Problem with that is...

...the more any given Biblical account becomes dependent on additional contrived divine intervention, simply to maintain plausibility in the face of logical dilemmas, internal inconsistencies, and increasingly incomplete narrative framework...

...the less credibility said account ends up having, to the point where it becomes - ultimately - too implausible to be believable (the Flood story is a good example).

Ironic, really.

• ssn587
    ssn587

Jdubs would only be .001% of the population.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit