Isn't It Ironic That Many People Now Wish That Many of the Things China is Making Would Actually Be Made in Mexico?

by RubaDub 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The washer is Kenmore and Dryer Maytag. Both have "Made in Mexico" labels. (in obscure places)

Wow ...

Those used to be two brands that were at one time considered excellent. You went to Sears, you got Kenmore (and Craftsman tools) . You wanted to even go a step higher, you went with Maytag.

Major companies have just flushed their brand names and reputations down the toilet, so to speak. And cheap toilets at that.

Rub a Dub

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

So true, Ruba, When I was a young bride in the early 1970's we bought a deluxe Kenmore washer and dryer set. 25 years, 2 kids, and 5 moves later they worked like they were new. They had Never even been serviced! We decided to sell them while they were still working great so I'll never know how long they lasted.

Sears contracted with other companies to make their appliances. You have to research what company was used to make the Kenmore item you buy AND what country it was made in.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

3rdgen ...

Yes, the older appliances just seem to keep running.

When we moved into this house, close to 20 years ago, we were planning on getting a new washer and dryer. The two old Whirlpool appliances had cracked paint, some rust on the side and overall just looked old. But they worked fine and we decided to get a year or two more out of them if possible and spend the money on some other items we needed.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Guess what, they still look old and beat up a bit. I did replace the switch that stops if from running when you open the top about 5 years ago. After looking at YouTube, I bought the switch ($25) and replaced it in about 15 minutes (I could do it in 5 minutes now). That was it. But they run like new.

I don't think any amount of money would buy you that type of appliance today.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit