Isn't It Ironic That Many People Now Wish That Many of the Things China is Making Would Actually Be Made in Mexico?

by RubaDub 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Let me think of a few advantages to having Mexico do more manufacturing for us:

- Low cost labor

- Just drive around or jump over the wall to see family and friends.

- Invite a friend over and he will mow your lawn while he's there.

- A language that many Americans already speak.

- Tacos, tamales, tortillas, tequila and a lot of other stuff that begins with the letter T.

- The transfer of evil diseases? Well, you drink the water and get the shits for a day or so. Then you're pretty well protected for a few of years.

We long for the good old days.

Rub a Dub

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RUB A DUB:

You have a point there especially with regard to medicines and medical supplies! Critical things like these should NEVER have been outsourced to China!!!

At least Mexico is in the same hemisphere!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, why not just make things right here in the US? I would like to see the majority of things made in the same country that they are used in, by independent companies that do not have to answer to some giant holding company or to the reptilians that are ruining our planet. It would be nice to also see Canada and Mexico making their share of items. Obviously, I am in favor of respecting the environment (and not with some fake information that is solely intended to deprive people of a decent life).

Even so, trade with other countries is unavoidable. I would be willing to spend more on a high quality computer made in Germany or New Zealand by a small company that is not dependent on The Establishment. I would also be willing to buy vitamins that are made in Europe or Australia, not bound to our corrupt FDA, and that actually help solve or prevent problems. It's just that I do not want everything to be made in China or Israel, or be forced to buy things made there for political correctness reasons that have nothing to do with quality and price advantages.

As for China, I have been trying to stay away from cheap garbage made there for reasons having nothing to do with this. I do not want to pollute the landfills with items that continually break or fail to do their jobs, just because the big company's parents decided to have their items cheaply made in China. General Electric is one of the worst--they used to make light bulbs right here, but all their fire-starter CFL eye-killer bulbs these days are made in China. And I think that, where it is reasonable, one should avoid Walmart like it is Coronavirus Deluxe. (Where if you get it, you die a miserable death.) They are a classic example of a company that went from buying American and proud of it to underhandedly outsourcing things to China and enforcing lousy quality. (Obviously, if this abomination is or becomes the only option, you will have to shop there--just don't shop there to save a few pennies on junk that will break in a month or so).

• LV101
    LV101

Obviously, our politicians preferred selling us out to China for personal mega bucks vs. salsa and chips from Mexico. Research Diane Feinstein, among many others. They don't become multi millionaires just collecting the gov't salary - lots of creativity.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

you will have to shop there [Walmart] --just don't shop there to save a few pennies on junk ...

WTW ...

Unfortunately, we are given fewer options each day in the hope of buying something non-Chinese. Try to but any small appliance, a toaster, a blender, an electric grill, a fryer or just about anything else. Try to get one made in the US, Canada or any country in Europe. If you can find one, let us know, it is that bad.

Even the flag-waving American Tool Brand Craftsman has moved most of its production to Asia. Growing up, my father would never think of buying any brand other than Craftsman, even other US-made brands. Craftsman was the gold standard. No more.

People have just become used to cheap disposable items. You don't get anything "fixed" anymore, you just buy a new one. You want a toaster, you pay 15 or 20 dollars or even less. Not 40 or 50 for the same item if made here in the US or Europe, if they even existed.

Growing up, we had a shop in town that repaired small appliances. A motor burns out on a blender, an element in a toaster stops working or something similar and you take it to the store, leave it and a week later you return and they have fixed it. Do you think that kind of store could exist today?

Last year, I was having a problem with my trimmer for my lawn. It was a gas model from Home Depot (made in China) and was getting very hard to start. I called the local dealer who does small engine repair (lawn equipment, riding mowers, etc.) and he said bring it in. Then he mentioned that there was a minimum $50 charge. I stopped right there and said thank you. Figuring I paid about $100 for the trimmer, why would I pay $50 plus parts to get it fixed and still have a used trimmer? Guess what? I paid a bit more but just bought a cordless electric one instead. It simply costs too much to get things repaired when we get addicted to cheap crap.

I don't see this changing anytime soon, just hopefully "cheap" stuff will come from Mexico instead.

Rub a Dub

• Simon
    Simon

If you make things locally, you get the economic value of the production. Wages go up so people can support their families without an ever growing welfare state, it's better for almost everyone EXCEPT the elites who profit from shipping production to cheap labor overseas with poor employment standards, at the expense of local workers and tax-payers.

There's no benefit to sending manufacturing jobs abroad other than to concentrate wealth in the hands of a few.

Make locally and buy locally, it's better for us all.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Make locally and buy locally, it's better for us all.

Yes, I was just expanding "local" to include this hemisphere. It would be a huge leap forward and far better than China.

Rub a Dub

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Poor Chinese. They are too many to live decent and healthy.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Well Mexico is now the third part of the new USMCA agreement and probably have to distribute to their members first However, there are enough plants in Canada and the US so as NOT to be stuck in this mess with med supplies when an issue like this strikes again. And it will be sooner rather than later.

• Simon
    Simon
    They are too many to live decent and healthy

It's not todo with how many they are, it's that they are often cruel and stupid, torturing or abusing animals because they think it will give them a boner.

They could live decently, they chose not to.

there are enough plants in Canada and the US so as NOT to be stuck in this mess with med supplies when an issue like this strikes again

Yes, the key thing is to decouple from China. There are economic benefits to having local manufacturing but somethings it makes sense for that to be done in another country but as long as they are a responsible and dependable ally, that isn't anywhere as bad as it being China.

With imports from China cut down, it would also be easier to curtail their illegal Fentanyl shipments which is another way they are killing hundreds of thousands of people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit