WT Contradiction - Are the other sheep sons of God?

by artful 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• artful
    artful

Many are familiar with the countless flip flops and contradictions that can be found in the WT publications of the past (for numerous examples of this see http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com). However, in reading through the Jan 15 and Feb 15 WT study articles I believe I have found a "modern day" example of a WTS contradictory statement. It pertains to the status of the "other sheep" as sons of God.

"Jehovah is the Father of spirit-begotten Christians and of their companions with an earthly hope.(Romans 8:15) And faith in our heavenly Father never leads to disappointment."

To encourage the "other sheep" that having faith in God's word does not lead to disappointment, the statement is made that God is the "Father of the other sheep" and the scripture at Romans 8:15 is used to support this. Here is what Romans 8:15 says:
    For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out" "Abba", Father!

The WT of Jan 15/03 p14 clearly states that God is the Father of both the "anointed" and the other sheep, citing the scripture in Romans 8:15 to support this. The natural conclusion to reach from this paragraph is that since God is their "Father", the other sheep would of course be "sons of God" as seen in Romans 8:15. The article makes no attempt to discourage this conclusion. However, when we compare this statement with the Feb 15/03 WT we see the exact opposite conclusion drawn from this same scripture.

"Should those now doing good to the remnant of the 144,000 brothers of Christ partake of the Lord's Evening Meal? No. God has reserved that privilege for individuals he has anointed with holy spirit to be "joint heirs with Christ" (Romans 8:14-18)...Since they are not Jesus' joint heirs with a heavenly hope, they attend the Memorial as respectful observers."

In paragraph 7 they go on to quote the same scripture in Romans 8:14,15 (regarding being God's sons) as applying ONLY to the anointed.

Since the WTS has long taught that the "other sheep" are not sons of God, is the suggestion that God is the Father of the other sheep (and they are therefore his sons) an error on the part of the WT from Jan 15/03? Or, is this an example of the Society creating ambiguity concerning one of their more distasteful doctrines - namely that we are not all God's sons, only 8,800 people on earth are?

It's no wonder JWs are confused about issues like this. First, they are given an article to study in January which makes them feel good about their relationship with God as their loving Father, and themselves presumably his sons. The next month the WTS lets the axe fall and tells the flock that they are most certainly NOT God's sons and how dare they think such a thing! Very sad.

Any comments?
    Cheers
    Artful

• truth1
    truth1

Sounds just like them. They're always using scriptures whenever they are to their benefit even if it contradicts another issue they were trying to prove. Too bad I can't get my mother and sister to see this. They dragged my 80 year father who just "conformed" about 3 years ago out in the blizzard cold in Michigan because he had to get his time in. No scriptual basis for that. We are to tell others about our faith in Christ but not in the friggin' blizzard cold, where it's 9 below!

• artful
    artful

Thanks for the comments Truth1
    I feel your pain regarding the service issue. As do my aging parents who must brave the cold in Canada to make sure they put in their "time" (it has been -10 to -25 for much of this winter!).
    Cheers
    Artful

• blondie
    blondie

truth1, haven't they ever heard of telephone witnessing?

Blondie

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yes, it's another of those doctrines where the wt tries to have it both ways. Two contradictory statements are claimed to be true. It's a technique used in brainwashing. When i was on my way out, i confronted a few jws with the wt statement that they were not in the new covenenant, ie no contract w their god. Quite a few did not realise the wt stand on this. My mother was one of the few who knew that she was not in a covenant w the wt god. In my last discussion w her, 7 yrs ago, i implored her as to where she stood w god, not having a contract of any kind w him. (I was a christian then.)

SS

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Since the WTS has long taught that the "other sheep" are not sons of God, is the suggestion that God is the Father of the other sheep (and they are therefore his sons

I get it.

Everyone that goes to heaven will be sons, and everyone who stays on earth will be daughters.

Sheep stay on earth

Rams go to heaven

• Satanus
    Satanus

Haa ha, plum gets the new light.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS teaches that the great crowd/other sheep do not become full sons of God until they successfully pass the final test at the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ and receive everlasting life.

I never knew how dying and being resurrected turned imperfect humans instantly into perfect spirit creatures qualified to receive immortality and the rest of humankind will need 1,000 years and a special test by the devil to qualify for everlasting life.

Blondie

• artful
    artful

SS: Good point regarding the new covenant, I just spent 5 hours last night discussing that very issue with both of my parents. Incredibly, I believe I may have actually made some headway with them!

Hi plum: thanks for clarifying this new light...LOL

ThanksBlondie for adding that information about when the WTS deems that the other sheep are worthy to be declared sons of God. That's really a scriptural teaching isn't it......NOT! :-)
    Cheers
    Artful

• jgnat
    jgnat

Maybe you guys can help me with another apparent contradiction.

31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
    34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. (Matthew 25 NIV)

The daily bible reading last week gave a most interesting interpretation. Since the WTS has determined that only the anointed receive the inheritance, the "other sheep" don't get to participate in this momentous separation of the sheep and the goats. So the evil are judged, and the anointed the judged. So what are the "other sheep"; chopped liver?

Also,

40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

was interpreted in the daily bible reading to be kind acts to fellow Witnesses only. Also, though the other sheep do not participate in the inheritance above, they are supposed to continue with kind acts to the anointed. Isn't that a little backward? I mean, the anointed get the inheritance, and the kind acts. What do the anointed have to do besides partake at the memorial?

Does that mean that Jesus did not die for all, but for a mere six million? That Jesus only cares for the welfare of these select few? Doesn't that short change his gift?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit