John Lee Hooker - Jehovahs Witness

by apostrate 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    orphancrow Sometimes, some things are just too much information, right, Flipper?

Ha ha!Waaay to much!

Makes me wanna cry...

🎡"One bourbon, one scotch, one beer!"🎢🎸

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Lucky enough to see him in the early '90s though

Me too, BoC, I guess not in the UK for you? (always thought you were British with a name like Breakfast of Champions & your avatar pic)

• wozza
    wozza
    I think Im gonna take my meds now
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Steve2 remember some years ago listening to my hero Bob Dylan

Mine too!

Didn't he convert back to Judaism in the end or am I dreaming?!

Goodness we are a bunch of old farts! John Lee, Robert Zimmerframe.... hmm (scratches head)nah...we just have great taste!

• steve2
    steve2

Larry Graham converted to the JWs in 1975 (Larry must have been trying to get in under the wire) and he brought others besides Prince into the Paradise Choir.

Prince was easy pickings for Larry because Prince's Mom was a JW. He was so cut up when she was terminally ill that he promised her he would return to the religion of his upbringing (JW). What some men and women will promise a dying parent.

I personally think everyone should go through a religious nutter phase as a humbling reminder of how even the sanest and most sensible among us can do and say truly stupid things when the light blinds us to common sense. "Forgive me my fellow humans for I once succumbed to religiuous stupidity..."

• Dagney
    Dagney

No Johnny was not a JW but he studied with various ones in my old hall for some years, and we all joined him when he was in town for concerts. He ended up buying a home in our territory and we went over many times for gatherings.

I have very fond memories of Johnny. One of my favorites is we were sitting around chatting and one of my "former" friends said, "Johnny, who is Mabel?" (One of his songs.) Johnny: "Everybody's got a Mabel." lol

Edited to add Larry Graham had nothing at all to do with this. There is a story but it's not mine to tell.

• steve2
    steve2
    Thanks for the background Dagney. Nothing like removing guesswork and hearing from those who knew him.
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Thinking about it last night, I think Johnny liked the attention in regards to the study. And as for the friendship, we were all blues fans and frequented clubs/concerts in the blues circuit. The group was kind and nice, and had no ulterior motives for the friendship, other than trying to convert him, lol, which really wasn't going to happen. It was a safe place for him to relax and have company. Nobody was after his money or trying to take advantage of him.

• flipper
    flipper
    DAGNEY- Thanks for the input on John Lee. I've loved his music for years and years. Was lucky enough to see him perform live at Reno in 1998 , several years before he died. What a really cool soul he was. He was the epitome of cool
  • Dagney
    Dagney

Hey Mr. Flipper! How are you doing? What a nice fest we had in July. Thank you again for organizing it. It's an amazing time with extraordinary people.

I haven't thought about Johnny Lee in a long time. I liked him a lot also, and it was pretty cool there were more collaborations with other famous musicians in his later years. There was a great blues circuit in this area, and some great clubs and entertainers. It was nothing to see Buddy Guy one night after the bookstudy at a local club. Johnny was very kind to his fans. He would receive them after a concert like the godfather, and they would bring him fancy socks, one of his things. Just a nice, kind of quiet gentleman. He sure saw a lot in his time. RIP John Lee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit