Please help me save my marriage - URGENT

by happyout 27 Replies latest social relationships

• happyout
    happyout

I am fighting to save my marriage, and the person I seem to be fighting against is my husband. A little background, we had a rough time dating, because he had a hard time being faithful. I caught him cheating three times, and left him, but he kept asking for forgiveness, promising to change, and I bought into it. My bad, if I had it to do over again, I would not forgive after the second time. But, water under the bridge; we got married after four years of dating. One of the things we talked about a lot while dating was how unfair it was that some men thought women should have to handle the majority of the housework, cooking, etc., while also holding down a full time job. He talked the talk, and while we were dating, he appeared to walk the walk. Fast forward to today (and I am leaving out a bit of detail to try to protect my anonymity). I do ALL the housework. I do ALL the cooking. I do the majority of the childcare (he feeds our son breakfast, and dresses him for school during the week, I do literally everything else). He works most weekends, which means he has two days off work during the week when he is home alone. I come home to a house with dishes in the sink, the carpet not vacuumed, no food cooking, etc. He usually asks me what I am going to do about dinner, despite the fact that he’s been home all day. I am also the main breadwinner, last year I made more than double what he made, I pay the mortgage, I pay for daycare, insurance (including the child he has outside of our marriage), most groceries, etc. I have tried to talk to him, not often; because I don’t want to “nag” usually I bring it up every other month. We tried going to counseling once, but the counselor was a true idiot, he was always late and would veer off topic for long periods of time. I haven’t been able to convince him to try another counselor; he says it is a waste of time. He doesn’t have any close friends that I can talk to confidentially to help, and I am absolutely drowning. I hate to think my child will grow up in a broken home, but I can’t deal with things this way much longer. I know for a fact that if I ask my husband to leave, he will not, and to be honest, I am afraid of his temper. While he has never hit me, he has grabbed me, shaken me (a long time ago) and he throws things when he’s very angry. If I leave, I will still have to pay the mortgage, since he can’t afford it alone, or risk losing a house I have invested a lot of money into. I hope this doesn’t seem as though I think I am perfect, I definitely have my faults. I have gained some weight during our marriage (I am a size 12/14), I have a hard time communicating negative emotions, and I am a little bit of a hermit. Nevertheless, I feel I am and have put my all into this marriage, and I am not getting much if anything in return. He is not a dub, and never has been, so that is not the issue. Any and all serious advice is welcome.

PS: I should mention, he is very good with our son, and has never displayed any aggressive behavior towards him. I would not stand in the way of their relationship, nor would I try to interfere in their spending time together. In fact, I believe if we were to separate, their relationship would improve, as they would have more alone time. I am definitely my son’s favorite parent, mostly because of the time we spend together.

• dottie
    dottie

(((((((((happyout)))))))))

I am sorry to hear of your situation. Although I am probably the LAST person to be giving marital advice (I have my own marital probs to deal with)....maybe you need to ask yourself if you're happy. If the answer is no then weigh your options. I don't think you should be concerned with what he's going to do if you want him to leave...you need to worry about the safety of you and your son..not whether he can afford to be on his own. And to be totally honest the fact that he has cheated on you kinda rubs me the wrong way...they say once a cheater always a cheater (goes for both men and women).

Another thing to consider is whether you really want this to work. Are you willing to invest more time and more energy into this? It seems to me that you've invested quite a bit already with nothing in return.

Feel free to PM me or email ([email protected]) to vent more if you want.

Take care... Hugs

Dottie

• Scully
    Scully

If he's unwilling to see a counsellor, go to one yourself. A lot of men refuse to go for counselling because to their way of thinking, it's not a problem. Why would he think it's a problem when you're doing EVERYTHING - all the housework and cooking, plus contributing the lion's share financially?? Honey, he has it MADE. Of course he's not thinking it's a problem!

By the way, why should YOU leave? You pay the bills and it is your child's home. Your child is entitled to maintain that standard of living.

Talk to a social worker and find out what resources are available to you. Find a Legal-Aid chapter in your area and learn what your rights are and what you are entitled to if you separate/divorce.

There's no reason in the world why you should let him continue to keep you in unhappiness.

Love, Scully

• happyout
    happyout

Dottie - thanks for your kind words, and don't be surprised when I take you up on your offer to vent

Scully - that is great advice, I will check to see if there is some free legal advice I can get.

I think part of my problem is that I feel so guilty my marriage is failing, and I don't want to admit that there may be nothing else I can do. My siblings who are married are all dubs, and of course they have had minor problems, but their marriages have all lasted 10 years or longer. Mine is less than 6 years old, and deteriorating rapidly.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Happy,

I have been there myself although on the other side. I hate to sound negative but if its over, its over. I can tell you it is very hard on everyone going through a breakup and/or divorce but now I look back on my own situation nine years later I am glad I went through it. I have found myself and I am happy with where I am at today. Good advise from Scully to seek out your own counseling. Also legal aid to find out what your options are. If you want you can share with others that you have confidence in that have gone through what you are going through now.

Will

• nilfun
    nilfun

(((((Happyout)))))

• pandora
    pandora

(((((happyout)))))

Remember what they say, 'It takes two". The state of your marriage is not simply up to you. Both of you are a part of it. Don't take all the blame for a failing marriage where you work hard and he does nothing. I've been there, I've done that. My X never realized there was a problem until I was gone and suddenly he had to clean up after himself. Men are not the smartest of the breed. Sometimes you have to hit them on the head and they still might not get it.

My advice, is to get counseling yourself. When I did, it helped me figure out that I could stand on my own. It helped me put a foot forward toward resolution. It really doesn't matter HOW you resolve the problem as long as it gets resolved. That is how counseling can help. It gives you the strength to start to resolve the problem. To explore the possible ways to solve the problem. The resolution may not be to leave your husband. The resolution might be to learn how to communicate with him in such a manner that he will understand you and actually do something to help. OK that might be far fetched. I don't know. You know your husband better than I do.

Anyway. Don't be down on yourself. You have a right to be happy. If this guy doesn't do it for you, the next guy might. NEVER compare yourself to someone else. You have no idea what secrets couples hide. Does everyone know how bad you feel about your marriage?? No one wants to admit that their marriage is a shambles. Most of the time it has fallen apart many years before either party does anything about it. You've live 6 years like this.

Good luck to you. I hope you end up where you want to be.

-P(J)

• happyout
    happyout

Thanks for such great advice. I knew my "apostate" brothers and sisters would help I believe there is value in going to counseling alone, and I am going to start as soon as I can. And special thanks to the men for reassuring me that this was not a male / female issue.

Thanks for the love and hugs,

Happyout

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Happy:

Despite what people say Men can change, errr Thunder was not perfect when we got married. He just didn't get it, in fact we are 39 and he watched my Grandbaby when she was first born and I came home and he APOLOGIZED to me saying that he NEVER realized how hard I had it raising two children with no help.

Communication is important, you don't have to tell him write him a letter,express how you REALLY feel. I did this ALOT worse case leave for awhile and let him see what life is like without you. I truly believe though if you TALK or write about it when your not pissed off it will help. Sometimes they just don't know how your hurting. I also have found maturity helps Thunder is a dream now, cooks cleans he says he is P***y whipped LOL But he doesn't care LOL

Best of luck to you e-mail me if you would like to talk more

PS: As far as the cheating that is another story to change he has to love you fully

Sheila

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

You can accept him or reject him, but you can never change him, if he does not want to....If he places a value on you, then offer him the opportunity to address your concerns.

If he does not want to address your concerns, then you must decide what is best for you. If you drop any labels on what you feel he should be or should not be, then your stress will disappear......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit