Bought My First Christmas Tree Last Night

by pale.emperor 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Last year i didn't bother with Christmas as it still felt like a "nothing" day to me (thanks Watchtower!). This is the 2nd Christmas since waking up and leaving the cult and I've finally bought my first Christmas tree:)

I have no idea what to do with it though. How to decorate it. When to put it up. Where to put it? But i suppose that's part of the fun right? I'll enjoy the time spent with my little girl putting it up and decorating it together. She's 3 and is excited for Christmas although she doesn't really know what it entails... just that Father Christmas brings toys if you're good. In fact, we're going to see Father Christmas tomorrow;)

It's so nice to finally celebrate this festival. And i dont have to look over my shoulder in shops when i get Christmassy things.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

I used to sneak my youngest to his non JW grandparents when he was little so he could help dress their tree and put up their decorations. He loved it.

I'm not officially out of WT but I'm buying all my kids a gift, just something small, but the first gift I've ever bought them at Xmas time. I ordered wrapping paper online so no one could see me buying it in the local shops and oh the irony of it, it was delivered (thankfully well wrapped) by a courier who is JW! Must say, I felt total fear she had x-ray eyes and could see through the wrapping paper and would know it was xmas wrap!

• Tallon
    Tallon

Hi PE

Enjoy the moment decorating your xmas tree with your daughter. Don't forget to take photographs of her putting her personal touch on the tree. In years to come you and her will reminisce the event. These will be precious memories.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    palid one - Last year i didn't bother with Christmas as it still felt like a "nothing" day to me (thanks Watchtower!).

Exactly how I feel. No childhood memory to make it special. Just the memory of 'DON'T!'

I have no idea what to do with it though. How to decorate it. When to put it up. Where to put it? But i suppose that's part of the fun right?

I believe so. Still not got one myself. I think it's probably a case of 'do what feels right'.

I told my friend I got a Christmas tree. He asked, 'Did you out it up yourself?' I told him, 'No. I put it in the room.'...................................crickets and tumbleweed...........

She's 3 and is excited for Christmas

Brilliant stuff. Just how it should be.

Father Christmas brings toys if you're good. In fact, we're going to see Father Christmas tomorrow

And why not indeed. She can have what we missed. I'm glad.

And i don't have to look over my shoulder in shops when i get Christmassy things.

Freedom.

Sweet!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PALE EMPEROR:

I am glad you got a tree but understand you don't know what to do with it. Is there a nice neighbor who can help? They might be happy to once they learn you were deprived of Christmas all your life.

Christmas was such a happy and magical time for me. It was not just the tree but seeing loved ones/relatives and all the baking my Mom did. Sights, smells and music.

I think it's really for the sake of your child. The JWs just want to separate people from their non-JW relatives. Never mind the "pagan" excuse...IMO, They are afraid that if somebody experiences or remembers being loved unconditionally by people who aren't judging them, they may no longer want the religion!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I told my friend I got a Christmas tree. He asked, 'Did you out it up yourself?' I told him, 'No. I put it in the room.'...................................crickets and tumbleweed...........

LMAO!!

My girlfriend and her little girl are gonna help put it up with us. Then we're going to their home to do it all over again with their tree.

I keep asking my little one what she's going to ask Santa for? So far she only wants a flower! Obviously im going to give her more than a flower but isnt that sweet? Im just dreading when she's 16 and wants a Playstation 7 or whatever they'll have by the point.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Just enjoy the moment P.E. The first time my wife and I had a tree it was easy for me because my wife was a convert and she knew what to do. Thing was we both were having anxiety attacks over our first celebration of Christmas. Just go with the flow and have a great time doing it. Merry Christmas to you and your daughter. Still Totally ADD

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Decorating the tree is one of my favorite things to do. Every ornament has a memory of the year I bought it, they are like old friends at this point. I always put on nice Christmas music and just enjoy the decorating process. You should go with your little one and help her pick out her own first ornament, that way you will both have a nice thing to remember in the future. Don't be surprised if it's ugly though, three year olds sometimes have questionable taste.

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

How exciting for you and your little daughter. Christmas is such a fun time for kids. Glad your daughter won't be deprived of the joy. You will get to experience that joy now too. To any jws out there lurking - no it's not damaging to kids to let them believe in santa in their youth (I've heard this many times from my jw family). What is damaging is letting children think that if they're not pretty darn close to perfect, god will destroy them and that demons are around them all the time trying to tempt them. Now that is damaging!

Wishing you and your daughter a very merry 1st christmas

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

This is the 2nd Christmas since waking up and leaving the cult and I've finally bought my first Christmas tree:)I have no idea what to do with it though

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+decorate+a+christmas+tree+how+to+basic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit