IRIDOLOGY- The Diagnostic Study Of The Iris---What Did You Think?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

I would like to relate an anecdote, not based on science at all, of what happened to me when my mother took me to a brother who was an iridologist. I can't go into too many details in this public forum because it would risk exposing someone. Here is what I can say. Being a very private person as a teenager, I was reluctant when my mother dragged me to a health food store to see this brother, who was an iridologist. Several members of the congregation were present, mostly sisters. I read some literature on iridology given me and became very concerned. According to the brochure, an iridologist could look into your eyes and diagnose many things about you. Being a private person, I was very concerned about what this brother, a perfect stranger, might find out about me. Would he tell my mother about the things he saw? Would he tell the other sisters? Would he tell the elders? I was mortified!

When it became time for him to look into my eyes, I kept glancing away. I had psyched myself out so badly and was so nervous that my innermost thoughts and secrets would be exposed, that I couldn't look anybody in the eyes, including my mom and the sisters. He did my reading, diagnosed several ailments that I was having, and recommended some supplements, etc. I was so happy to get out of there.

I met him again years later after I was DAed for about a year. If my mother knew the circumstances of that she would just die! But that's another story. I started talking to him about meeting him before and all of the sudden he remembered me. "You're the one who kept looking away." I blushed and said "Yes, because I was afraid you would see something in my eyes that would embarrass me in the congregation." He remarked, "Yes, I did see that in you, but whenever I did see it in someone, I never said anything to anybody." Thankfully he believed in confidentiality between a physician and client over revealing secret lives to the elders.

So is it provable science? No. And I am still very leery of alternative medicine, having had so much of it forced upon me over the years, but in this case I have to keep an open mind because of what personally happened to me. He definitely knew my secret.

I think the body is a very complex thing. If our fingerprints and DNA are completely individual to us, then why not our irises as well? I would like to see more research as to what is real provable science and what is not. They say that they can detect the genetic predisposition of diseases within the DNA now. Can they also see specific traits? Will they be able to take DNA from a crime scene someday soon and determine if that person is a super-taster who might be found frequenting Mexican restaurants, for example. Will they be able to determine a person's other predilections? Smoking, alcohol, sexual orientation, spicy foods, bland foods, lactose intolerance, incontinence, etc.

I imagine so. And maybe someone will prove that the irises reflect certain ailments. I don't know. All I can say is that a lot of times what appears to be superstition ends up being science that we just didn't understand yet. Germs were just a theory until they were proved under a microscope. Several hundred years ago nobody imagined catching a murderer by examining fingerprints. Lightning wasn't electricity to ancient people; it was the wrath of god.

So I am skeptical about these things, which means that I reserve judgment until it is proved to me one way or another. Iridology may become a proved science one day. I certainly consider it a possibility, but I don't think I would put much money into it today.

Tammy

• minimus
    minimus

Swan, you showed your embarrassment and fear to the "iridologist".What confidential info was he supposed to keep from the elders? That a young girl was petrified so she must have been hiding something? you say "He definitely knew my secret". are you leaving something out of your story to us? ......I am going to go into the business of "reading" feces, and I'll bet I get a huge following.

• Swan
    Swan

I've been cautioned, wisely I think, not to say too much here.

I can't go into too many details in this public forum because it would risk exposing someone.

I have to say again that this is an absolutely anecdotal account and my perception of the matter. Yes, he did know. I can't say what or when or how. (You don't really want my mother to read this and die now, would you Min?)

Is this at all scientific? NO! And he is just one person who did iridology. Maybe he was an A+ iridology student whereas others are D students. I don't know. In my case it worked. Would I go to an iridologist today? Nope. It hasn't been proved scientifically. I just know it worked for me that one time.

Tammy

• rem
    rem
    When it became time for him to look into my eyes, I kept glancing away. I had psyched myself out so badly and was so nervous that my innermost thoughts and secrets would be exposed, that I couldn't look anybody in the eyes, including my mom and the sisters. He did my reading, diagnosed several ailments that I was having, and recommended some supplements, etc. I was so happy to get out of there.
    Is this at all scientific? NO! And he is just one person who did iridology. Maybe he was an A+ iridology student whereas others are D students. I don't know. In my case it worked. Would I go to an iridologist today? Nope. It hasn't been proved scientifically. I just know it worked for me that one time.

I would hesitate to say that iridology 'worked' in this instance. At most it could be an amazing coincidence, which doesn't necessitate iridiology 'working' at all. Most probably your obvious behavior made him suspicious... why else would a good little JW girl be so nervous? This seems quite apparent when I read this:

I started talking to him about meeting him before and all of the sudden he remembered me. "You're the one who kept looking away." I blushed and said "Yes, because I was afraid you would see something in my eyes that would embarrass me in the congregation." He remarked, "Yes, I did see that in you, but whenever I did see it in someone, I never said anything to anybody."

It's like saying, "Did you know I had a secret?" and the other person says, "No, but I do now!" and then your are somehow amazed.

rem

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Tammy said,

If our fingerprints and DNA are completely individual to us, then why not our irises as well? I would like to see more research as to what is real provable science and what is not. They say that they can detect the genetic predisposition of diseases within the DNA now.

That is very close to the point I was trying to make. Let me try again. Imagine that you are healthy, and you go to see an iridologist. He looks at your eyes does he say, "You're healthy!" or "gosh, it looks like you have one leg about a half inch shorter than the other, you will have a thyroid problem in five years, you will get a cold and break your leg?"

Five years go by, and you develop a thyroid problem, then you catch a cold, and on the way to the doctor you break your leg. The doctor looks at your eyes. Does he ANYTHING different from what he saw before? NO, because your iris does not change!

You get over the cold. Does your iris change? NO!

Your leg heals. Does your iris change? NO!

You take thyroid hormone to restore your body's balance. Does you iris change? NO!

YOUR IRIS DOES NOT CHANGE ANY MORE THAN YOUR FINGERPRINTS, DNA OR SHAPE OF YOUR EAR!

Saying that the iris indicates disease is like saying your DNA shows when you need a haircut.

• xray
    xray

A few years ago an 34 year old JW aquaintance of mine suffered stomach pains and the hospital diagnosed a suspected stomach ulcer. He was given some tablets and a strict diet and told to return in a week for further tests. He was also told it would take many months of treatment and diet to heal the ulcer. He got an opinion from a JW herbalist who reckoned he only had an "intestinal inflammation" and a herbal treatment was given. This herbal medicine virtually eliminated the pain, much better than the hospitals tablets. So he didn't bother returning to the hospital and stopped taking the tablets.

Two months later his wife woke in the morning to find him stone cold dead - the post mortem revealed he had bleed to death in his sleep from a ruptured blood vesel in his stomach wall, caused by an enlarged ulcer. The herbal treatment was effectively a very good pain killer, disguising the growing ulcer. The hospital tablets were designed not to do this. He left behind a wife and two kids.

Don't put all your faith in alternative medicine. The alternative practicioners tell you what you want to hear nd give you things that make you feel good, which is very appealing but not necessarily the truth. The similarities with the way the WTS pushes its "truth", are obvious and this is why JW's are often also into alternative medicine.

Xray

• Swan
    Swan
    I would hesitate to say that iridology 'worked' in this instance. At most it could be an amazing coincidence, which doesn't necessitate iridiology 'working' at all. Most probably your obvious behavior made him suspicious... why else would a good little JW girl be so nervous?

That could be rem, but I unlike Paul Harvey, I haven't told you the whole story. Minimus was right, I did leave out some very important circumstances regarding our second meeting. I just know that in this one case he was spot on and was not playing some trick. I am familiar with some of the tricks that magicians and charlatans use (having once been a magician's assistant) and while it is possible it was a coincidental hit, it is highly unlikely.

Would I go to another iridologist if the fad came around again? Nope. Just because one man hit the jackpot once does not mean I want to risk my health on it. I will go with the MD I know has had numerous successes.

Tammy

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Regarding vitamins, pills, Noni, et al:

No doubt about it: in Western Lands, especially in the US, our collective diet is pure crapola. Processed sugars, starch, too much meat, not enough fruits and veggies. Hey look! 2 liter Coke on sale for 89c! Twinkies! French Fries! One Happy Meal to go, please! And we have done it to ourselves! We work til six, commute 45 minutes to home, throw in a heat and eat in the microwave. It takes longer to prepare a meal of proper food, (at least where asparagus and broccoli become palatable.) so we eat the Stouffer's frozen lasagna, drink our big glass of Sunny Delite (corn syrup with orange flavor and food coloring) and wonder why we're so tired, out of shape, diabetic, hypoglycemic, etc.

And then these people come along, and they too, have a quick fix. Drink this special juice! Take this special pill. Eat this herb! Undo the damage of years in just days!

Older ones, who have already seen there health ruined by years of these trends, are desperate for quick relief. But the sad fact is, we can't stop from getting older, and even if we have tried to live healthy, gravity is a bitch! (which my back will readily testify to!)

I really believe that, while we can't really prevent cancer and such like from getting to us (unless we started covering ourselves in lead, and figured out how to live without food or drink), we'd be better off as a whole if we ate healthier. Of course, we'd have to do without all the convenience foods we've grown accustomed to, and to keep things fresh, we'd have to shop for food every day. And then, we'd need to take longer in those meal preparations, spending more time exercising, and less time watching movies and TV, and getting up earlier to get more time for all this, and... and...

Ah, the hell with it! We all gotta die from something. Where's the buttered popcorn and the remote?

• minimus
    minimus

There was a congregation in our circuit that had everyone involved in their "herbal parties". The CO and DO and their wives were all getting their free herbs from the PO of the congregation. A number of "friends" had iridology parties as well as these herb parties. A few people made a good living from selling this stuff on all too eager Witnesses. For some reason, it seems that a Jehovah's Witness is the perfect guinea pig for this type of operation. They LOVE to get into multi-level get-rich-schemes, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit