IRIDOLOGY- The Diagnostic Study Of The Iris---What Did You Think?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

In the early 80's I sent a letter to the Society about this subject. I thought it strange at the time that the Society was very careful with their answer. They alluded to demonistic practices and diagnosing maladies without correct training but they stopped short of saying that iridology was wrong for a Witness. After reading much of Ken Raines' research, I became convinced this is right up the Watchtower Society's alley and has been since its inception. Remember that Russell used to look at the shape of a person's head to determine intelligence.

• rem
    rem

SusanHere

Mulan is right...In the hands of someone properly trained, many alternative therapies are legitimate and of great benefit. Fakes exist in every field, but not everyone is a fake.

There are many fakes, but that is not the issue. The issue here is that the entire practice of iridology (not the practitioners themselves) is fake. It's one thing to be a fake practitioner of real treatment. It's an entirely different thing to be a sincere practitioner of a fake treatment.

Many people do get some benefit, or at least believe they are getting benefit from alternative therapies because of the powerful and documented placebo effect.

rem

• minimus
    minimus

Practicing iridology is like practicing being a Witness. Some people do derive a benefit. but that doesn't make either practice good.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Well I have just about seen it all! I had someone threaten to blow my head off because he said he could "Cure cancer. And I told him he shouldn't say that! With My JW inlaws..it was always something. Including the "Black salve"..And the colored box?..Anyone remember that? Different colors for different ailments? They had the eye thing done..she told my sister in law that she had something tramatic in her past!...Like who didn't?. The girl telling her was not a JW any longer..wonder why they saw each other? Also..the JW lady that was on "all natural supplements" and only ate healthy foods and lived a very clean life...died last year of Cancer. My JW Father in law took every supplement on the market from "Becky's Root Cellar!"(Another JW)...including coffee enemas and Sharks tooth. He died of Cancer a few years ago.He also never smoked and led a very clean life!.. My JW sister in law had problems with her intestines..Took all natural herbs from a"JW"..ended up worse than before and had to have it all removed and the bag put on. Her JW Mother in law had Cancer....They fed her Noni Juice..$40.00 a bottle. She died a few months ago. My hubby was told by his JW sister and Mother that Noni juice (Only the Morinda brand)would "Cure" him of Cancer.He too led a clean life..ate right..and took his "Natural Vitamins!" The Noni would also help him with Chemo..and keep him strong!..Well..he didn't get nausea..which they claimed was the fabulous Noni..but he also received drugs with the Chemo to keep him from getting nausea!..He was also on a very low dose of Chemo because of the Liver involvement. So he drank a bottle a day.His JW Mom an sister couldn't be wrong! That came to about $1,000. a month!...Yeah..his sister got a kick back on it..she was a distributor! He passed away 2 weeks ago... So I am just a little sensitive when I hear about any quack cures!.. I talked to my pharmacist one day about "Natural supplements"vs "synthetic"..he said..how can they be different or better..everything comes from the ground anyway.. I guess the differnce is in the "Bill"... Like "Noni" juice..It is Grape juice..bluebery juice and Noni fruit juice..whatever a "Noni " is...And of course you have to have only the "Morinda" brand...It is processed the "Right " Way... Somebody stop me!!!!!!!!! Snoozy...

• minimus
    minimus

PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT NONI JUICE....I know someone who wants to sell it.....P.S...I think I saw NONI in my house yesterday.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have to agree with Golden Girl about cancer. Having gone through the battle when my cousin, Sharon, was dying with it, I don't think anything truly helped her. It's possible she lived a bit longer, and got through chemo with less side effects, but eventually the cancer took her life anyway. The thing it DID do for her was give her hope. She was a distributor herself, so got things very cheaply. (not Morinda..........I detest them)

I am in the business GG describes, but I never make claims about the products. We are NOT allowed to by the FDA, and I am careful not to do that.

Of course many things are quackery, but many are not too. When I was a child, my Naturopath father took me off of cow's milk, saying I was allergic to it, and it caused my asthma, tonsillitis and many other allergy issues. Immediately (almost) I was well. The MD's and nearly everyone else we knew said it was ridiculous that anyone could be allergic to milk. Well..............now they know, don't they?

The business of medical treatment and illness, constantly evolves. I try to have an open mind, and I am not quick to say something is ridiculous unless it's proven to be.

As to papers written on subjects of any kind, on the internet or elsewhere..............anyone can write anything, and it doesn't make it true. Remember we all lived through that.

• rem
    rem
    The business of medical treatment and illness, constantly evolves. I try to have an open mind, and I am not quick to say something is ridiculous unless it's proven to be.

This is probably a healthy stance for most beliefs, though when it comes to health care related issues, I personally would be on the more skeptical side.

As to papers written on subjects of any kind, on the internet or elsewhere..............anyone can write anything, and it doesn't make it true. Remember we all lived through that.

I believe there is a big difference between anecdotal marketing claims and peer reviewed scientific testing. There has to be evidence to back a claim, and these 'alternative' therapies do not have the evidence. There are many scientific studies that prove they are ineffictive... how much more proof is necessary for something to be considered 'ridiculous'?

Remember, we didn't just discount 'apostate' material because it was initially displeasing to our ears. We were interested in truth and we recognized that what the 'apostates' were saying had merit and evidence to back them, while the WatchTower did not. The same applies in the health industry and any other area of belief. It just so happens that there is a lot of scientific evidence that shows these types of therapies do not work and only anecdotal evidence in their favor. Even the JW's have anecdotal evidence in their favor!

So yes, anyone can write anything, and it doesn't make it true. But we do have the tools to validate these claims to see which ones are most likely right and which ones are most likely wrong.

rem

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Mulan said,

When I was a child, my Naturopath father took me off of cow's milk, saying I was allergic to it, and it caused my asthma, tonsillitis and many other allergy issues. Immediately (almost) I was well. The MD's and nearly everyone else we knew said it was ridiculous that anyone could be allergic to milk. Well..............now they know, don't they?

Isn't this the same kind of "reasoning" that we were taught as JWs PROVED that 1914 was the year that Christ took power in heaven? See? Russell and Rutherford glomed onto a DATE, and something happened that year, thus PROVING that they were inspired prophets of God.

Except they were not, of course.

Your father's excellent intuition about your health does NOT vindicate Naturopathy.

Try to separate your appropriate and honest affection and respect for your father from the fact that the "science" he practiced was without basis in reality, just like the religion he taught you.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I am in the business GG describes, but I never make claims about the products. We are NOT allowed to by the FDA, and I am careful not to do that.

You sell products to people, but make no claims as to their efficacy? So you could be selling them coloured water and there's not a damn thing anyone could do about it? Maybe that's the reason so many charlatans get involved.

• happyout
    happyout

My personal experience:

Several years ago, I was having excrutiating pains in my left side. I want to the doctor several times, and was given all sorts of prescription medication, including suppositories (yuck). I did not feel any better.

After a while, my mom had me talk to her friend who "reads eyes". This lady was and is a die hard witness. I did not tell her any of my symptons. She looked into my eyes, consulted her chart, and within a moment, told me all my symptons and what she thought would help. After a week on the herbs, my pain was gone. I double checked with my mom (and trust me, my mother would NOT lie or cover this up), and she promised she had not mentioned a single sympton before my appointment.

I don't think it is wise to use herbal treatments alone, nor do I think it's wise to avoid medical doctors, but in this case, the herbal remedies did the trick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit