I'm fighting over DreadLocks! Need help!

by plmkrzy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

As Nathan said try the Legal Aid Society...they offer free/low cost legal advice. Also, take pics. Use a recorder when speaking with her....even if it is concealed. That is illegal, however, if push comes to shove, you will have proof for your side.

HA! His dreads I'm sure cost more then her best costume jewerly. LOL! He comes from a very well to-do family and way above of her league in any direction. Including manors. ESPECIALLY! manor's.

I must take issue with this type of statement.....coming from a well-to-do family is no guarntee that you will be a productive, law abiding citizen. I live in an area where there are quite a few millionaires....their kids are obnoxious, "I'm entitled" brats. I was poor but respectful....I am now middle class. I not less respectful, however, I realize that a persons worth is not measured by their parents billfold...it's measured by mine and what I have achieved.

Just because dreadlocks cost lots of money is meaningless.

• Francois
    Francois

Plum,

I don't know how it works over there, but I'd be willing to bet it's similar.

If and when you get a dispossessory warrant, which will likely be signed by a Justice of the Peace, you get a cheap lawyer (I know, I know) to respond with a certified letter to the Justice of the Peace, with copy to your landlord, requesting your case be heard in a court of record, like Superior Court for the County of XXX. Direct the lawyer to demand a jury trial.

This accomplishes one major thing. It takes forever to get a date with a superior court, especially in large metro counties. AND, to get a jury takes even longer, since criminal cases are heard first, and big civil cases. So, you've just bought yourself a goodly number of months.

NOW you have room to maneuver. Get over the manager. She's a bitch. Go tell the truth of all you know to the landlord. You don't need a crowd of other renters to back you. Truth has a power all alone, all by itself, with no connection to the truth teller. Put it to work for you. In fact, Spirit Warriors glory in fighting alone - accompanied by truth alone. When the landlord hears the Ring of Truth in your story, I predict that all will change. Go for it.

francois

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I must take issue with this type of statement.....coming from a well-to-do family is no guarntee that you will be a productive, law abiding citizen.

Of course it isn't, but it does make her statement absolutely rediculas

It seems as though you missed the whole point, and then tried to make it your point. I never said it did or would. If you would care to think about it before you decide to "take up an issue" you would realize that that is not a one-sided issue as well. Just because some one has dreadlocks does not mean they are homeless, vandalizing bums. So I guess in this particular circumstance, his issue, his parents issue, my issue, my sons issue, the rest of his friends issues, my dogs issue, not to even mention the rest of the tenants who live here that have been blamed for her incompantance. just out weigh your issue regarding not understanding the situation. But if you want an issue in all this, take issue with it then.

This is someone who has never disrespected anyone that I ever heard of, and has grown up here. He wasn't exactly raised in a crack house. BUT! Because he has dreadlocks she CALLED HIM A HOMLESS BUM , even though his hair is very well maintained, even though NOBODY ELSE AROUND AGREE's WITH HER . and even though all of the tenants I have spoken to have nothing bad to say about any of the kids, She stereotyped him as being the "sort" of person who would vandalize property. BASED ON HIS HAIR AND ETHNITICITY . If anyone needs to take issue, it would certainly be him and his parents that raised him! So you can take up as many issues as you like. Right is right and wrong is wrong no matter how many issues you want to take up and with whom. Failing to recognize the importance of THE ISSUE” is exactly what her problem is, and failing to pay attention to who is running his business and how, is the owners problem. Failing to speak up and tell them they can't keep crappin' on my right to live in my home without being told who I can and cannot have for friends is NOT going to be my problem.

You are the first person so far, out of at least 100 people, I have spoken to about this in the past few days that even bothered to zero in on anything other then, what the facts are, and the lack of morality on the part of the resident manager of this building.

Just since yesterday, I have had 3 more neighbors come over and offer to make a statement to my attorney ( if we get that far, I am hoping the owner will come to his senses before it goes that far

) of exactly what they have personally witnessed and what has been going on around here since she became the manager. For one thing, child labor laws do exist in this area even if rent control does not. She has been getting paid 1,000 bucks a month, according to her own words, along with a free apartment and has left for long periods of time, as much as a few days, leaving her teenage daughter to manage the building, and her teenage son to damage it. Does that make her a really “bad” person? Maybe, maybe not, but it does make her the criminal, not based on her LOOKS, but based on her actions, and the fact that THAT is against the law. But that’s only if one is interested in putting things in “perspective”. And since she is the ONLY one making the allegations and I have the rest of the neighborhood, along with the management of a couple other large complex’s, who are more then happy to be character witnesses for my son and the other kids, then I expect it will all iron out and she will be left with the reputation she worked so hard to build for herself. And it won’t matter if she has any money or not. A liar is a liar. And even though she doesn’t “LOOK” like a liar from first glance, she just so happens to be the biggest liar on the block. Hell, she even looks like a nice person.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I misunderstood. I am sorry.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I can't fix the formatting and I don't know what it looks like over there, but over here it is only half posted.

Francois

Get over the manager. She's a bitch. Go tell the truth of all you know to the landlord

You are right about that. The best thing I can do for myself is to just not even think about her. Your suggestions are good ones. I'll look into exactly how far I can go with "requests" in this city. There are a LOT of nice people around here, probably more nice then not so nice, and being very outspoken and honest about this mess I believe is my best bet.

I don't think the landlord is truly aware of just how bad it has been. I would think that he would much prefer handling this a lot different if he knew everything.

It took me, with help of a few friends, all day yeaterday to locate an address. He isn't even registered with the county assessor/Tax collector as the owner of this building. You won't believe who owns this complex. His other complex! LOL! His tax bill states that this apartment is owned by his other apartments and his name is nowhere to be found!. He is hiding from some big bopper liens or something.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

teenyuck! I'm sorry! I shouldn't have jumpped all over you like that. Please forgive me, I really need to go unwind. I've been litterally up to my ears in paperwork and documents that go nowhere about people who aren't there...God what stone have I turned over I'm just a little person and this guy is like a jolly green giant and I can't walk away from this. I have to fight it if I want to keep any self respect.

I promise if I feel like I'm getting hot I will go away.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{Plum}}} No Problem! I now understand! I really did not get it the first time you explained....

You are right about the owner....If he knew that the manager were running off long term tenants, he would change his mind on her.

I really am a firm believer in a small recording device that fits in a pocket and is voice activated. When she starts saying discriminatory stuff, I would tape it and call a TV station to see what they can do to bring this to the owners attention.

That being said, I never did purchase one (recorder) for myself. I did tell my mom once that I was taping her, she freaked. She had just said some really nasty things about people of a different race and I told her that if she were heard she could be assualted....she denied saying it....I told her I had it on tape. She hung up and called me back 2 hours later to apologize....I then came clean. However, it did the trick. She has stopped saying the vile things she did...at least to me.

I hope you are able to stay there and get rid of that manager. Keep us posted. The Legal Aid Society or the local bar association can also get you in touch with sound legal council. (you might try e-mailing 144_thousand...he is an attorney in S. Cal)

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Apparently all the calls I made since Tuesday Morning and the e-mails I sent to various people/housing dept/naacp/coluimist of the local paper/a long letter addressed to the owner and property management along with a 3-day notice to the resident manager to deliver it to the owner/ did some good.

The owner of the building paid a visit to the manager, and, the owners attorney sent to me this evening a letter of withdrawl in regards to the 30-notice. My mouth fell to the floor. Then I casually glanced over my shoulderwhile paranoia slowly began so slip in. Didn't know what to think of that. It was a rather fast response to my letter and objections/complaints.

I must say his attorney was rather polite in his letter, according to his words: realizing that I have been a long standing tenant with a good record for 10 now, and they are willing to (IMO back off basiclly for now- & and nail me when I'm not lookin'. But...one eye will be wide open).

It was a very clever letter turning the attention away from "who the complaints were made against" to "behavior and suspected criminal activity of said parties)

Wait till the landlord's lawyer gets bucket full of "New Light" on who the little criminals actually are. What I would give to be a fly on THAT wall.

Francois and teenyuck...and I'm forgetting someone, Thanks for responding

It seemed to me, that this would be the place to get plenty of feed back and at least some support, due to the common denominator, that being, bias and the violation of ones human rights and the right to be treated with some sort of dignity and not be crapped on just because it works for someone else..

So, does this mean I get to call you friends?

thanks,

plum

btw, if this turns out to be, to good to be true, I'll post the nasty tid bits.

Perhaps it will serve as reference material for someone in the future.

What and What not to do.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

One of my neighbors looked at the letter from the attorney and either confirmed my paranoia, or confirmed my thoughts, that this was not written by a real attorney.

The wording is way to un-professional. Not only that, but it isn't even signed buy the attorney nor does it even mention the name of the Lanlord. He is listed as "my client". I thought, at first glance, he could just be a stupid lawyer. But why would someone who owns 20 large apartment buildings throughout the LA area hire a stupid lawyer?

Now I am looking into the validity of the letter I recieved. I'm beginning to think she is doing ALL of this behind the Landlords back. I wonder how many times she has gotten away with evicting people in this manor? If infact she has. It sure is looking that way, more and more everyday.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Plum, contact the bar association of your county/large city...at the very least the state bar. They can tell you whether or not the "attorney" is legit.

Here is the link for the California State bar...

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_home.jsp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit