Did You Really Understand What You Were Getting Into When You Got Baptized?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The majority of people who become Jehovah's Witnesses, really have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. Did you truly understand those baptismal vows that you made?

• sf
    sf

Simply...no.

It is an entire blur as to what I had 'committed too' back then at age 14.

( Paperwork and oral commitments, if there were any other than the paperwork baptism 'contracts'. ) I believe that is the age I was then on that fateful day in May.

sKally

• JH
    JH

I believed the watchtower, no matter what questions they might have asked.

They have deceived me over and over since.

They have changed their teachings since my baptism, so in theory they should re baptize me, since it is written in matthew 28: 19,20 to go and teach all nations, then baptize people.

I was baptized in the old teachings. So in theory they shouldn't change the teachings, OR they should re baptize people in the new truth because they have changed the rules (teachings).

• Sargon
    Sargon

Fortunately for me the shit hit the fan when I was considering taking the plunge. Not being baptised I was allowed to f-f-f-fade away and ride into the sunset.

• acsot
    acsot

DUH! No, of course not!

Seriously, I think I was seeking approval and acceptance. Didn't get that either, though, come to think of it .

• LB
    LB

No I certainly didn't and I addressed that in my DA latter which is in my profile.

I never knew that they wouldn't let you leave.

• minimus
    minimus

But LB, they'll let you leave once you're disfellowshipped!!!

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I was baptized when I was 11, how in the world could I possibly understand what I was getting myself into?!?!?!?!

• LB
    LB

True, you can leave after they kick you out. Just can't talk to anyone since dead men tell no tales. I wanted to just stop attending. Imagine my surprise when that wasn't approved of.

• patio34
    patio34

Imo, you can't understand what you're getting into, because you are never told, informed, or otherwise enlightened that there

1. is no way to honorably quit their group,

2. You can never change your mind

3. you can never disagree openly with them, and

4. you could lose your entire family to them if you should ever change your mind

As they say in the medical field, there was no informed consent. Those *%*!! jackasses!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit