Guardian interview with Apostasy director

by cobweb 14 Replies latest jw friends

• cobweb
    cobweb

This is a really long article about the film Apostasy and interview with the director about his story and how he came to make the film

Apostasy director: ‘It was liberating to leave the Jehovah’s Witnesses’

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/15/apostasy-director-daniel-kokotajlo-liberating-to-leave-jehovahs-witnesses-interview?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Wow I'd really like to see this

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I'd like to see it too. But,they mention about no music or t.v.? I mean I always had the radio on and watched a lot of t.v growing up as a Witness. Unless,his mother was super strict.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

^^^^^^ And there's an example of the nitpicking that he mentioned. Out of that entire article what does someone walk away with but one tiny point that they take issue with. It's a leftover disease from living in a perfectionist cult. I deal with it myself and it's exhausting. This was a great look into the guy that created a great movie and one point, not necessarily even stated by him, comes up to discuss because we're so worried about 100% factual accuracy because a bunch of lying cult members might take issue with it. Funny how life works.

I'm so thankful for his movie, for articles like this, etc. I love the metaphor of the road next to the KH where life goes by as it stands still in the building.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dubstepped: ...one tiny point that they take issue with. It's a leftover disease from living in a perfectionist cult.

This.

This is something I have noticed about everything and all that is said or portrayed about the precious JW cult. Tiny, insignificant details are jumped on and made out to be a really, really big deal. It is like the person who argues that the sky isn't blue because it is cloudy that day.

So exhausting is right, dubstepped. I find the opposition to any tiny detail that doesn't fit sucks the energy from the issues at hand - it is like trying to have a discussion with a full blown addict/alcoholic. All they will focus on is that they can prove they fed a kitten once five years ago and ignore that they are falling down drunk.

It drives me crazy

And, like you said...it comes from being raised in a super controlled environment that pretends to be perfect (except when it isn't).

Arrggghhh...I still deal with the fallout from this kind of thinking - family who have left years ago but still use this kind of diversionary tactic to "prove" how right they are and how wrong you are.

The need and desire to be right all the time. As though their entire identity rests on others being wrong.

Anyway...back to the interview and movie. It is good interview and I am not sure that I want to see the movie. I have seen the trailer and it is just too real for me. It made my stomach lurch when I watched it. I left so long ago and watching this movie would put me right back into the environment that I rejected. I don't want to go there.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    Apostasy director: ‘It was liberating to leave the Jehovah’s Witnesses’

Can I get an AMEN brothers!

just saying!

• scotsman
    scotsman
    Anyway...back to the interview and movie. It is good interview and I am not sure that I want to see the movie. I have seen the trailer and it is just too real for me. It made my stomach lurch when I watched it. I left so long ago and watching this movie would put me right back into the environment that I rejected. I don't want to go there.

I’m seeing it next weekend, taking some friends to give them a taste of what the JW world is like but confess I’m feeling apprehensive about how it will leave me feeling.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@scotsman - I can tell you that it left me feeling "heavy". It wasn't even specific, just heavy. The lack of joy in the cult shines through and it took me a day or two to kind of process it all internally. It's just bleak, a good and true representation of the cult.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    scotsman: I’m seeing it next weekend, taking some friends to give them a taste of what the JW world is like but confess I’m feeling apprehensive about how it will leave me feeling.
    I think it is great that people outside of the cult will get a glimpse inside. So many of my friends that I grew up with, of course, know about my JW background but they have no idea what it was really like growing up inside a cult. When I tell them about some things that happened, they have a hard time grasping it. I think this movie will be excellent for the general public to view. All that most people will say about the JWs is "Oh, they seem like such nice people. Always dressed nice and so polite". This movie should change the perception about what the cult really demands from its followers at the same time that it portrays JWs as real people. Real people who live inside a psychological prison that doubles as a religion.

I am not surprised at your apprehension, Scotsman. It is far too easy to relate to the actors in the film and I am not sure what kind of coping mechanisms I would have to exercise in order to watch it. Normally, watching a movie is entertainment and the subject of this film is far from entertaining or educational for me.

But...I do think this movie has the potential to educate those who have no idea about the internal lives of those who are inside this cult. For that, it is a good thing.

• cobweb
    cobweb

I just watched the UK trailer. The music is different to the US trailer. I can't decide which I prefer, they are both powerful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit