Mak(ena) is thinking of buying a truck - any suggestions?

by Makena1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I don't have any pictures of my truck...but I drive a 1998 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab with the Z-71 off road package. I do like it much. It's the last year that they put the Vortec 5.7 (read 350) V-8 in. It's a very comfortable truck and I've been mostly problem free with it. Mine is pretty much a Cadillac of a truck...Leather, power everything, and all the goodies. It also has it where it counts. The towing package etc.

I'm pretty happy with my truck, but if I ever trade...(read: when it falls to pieces)...I'll probably seriously consider a new Ford F-250 super duty with the 7.3L power stroke diesel. Just not ready to buy a 40K truck.

By the way...you can get a nice 2 wheel drive 1998 with reasonable miles for around 10 or 12K

Ern

• alamb
    alamb

1952 GMC series A ...my first love.

• LB
    LB

Hey Mak.

I've pruchased dozens of trucks over the years. For a large company I used to run. We had a lot of problems with dodges and swore them off but that was a long time ago. They have improved. The Chevy's ride the nicest. Smoothest ride for a truck on the road. But they did not hold up to hard work. The company I used to run tried a few new ones last year and have sworn them off again.

Fords were my pick and still are. I like the 3/4 ton the best. Larger brakes and axles. Still if you are going to only use it as a chick truck, anything can work. But those darn fords held up. I have a 91 Ford 3/4 ton 4X4 with about 220 thousand miles on it with original oil still in the crankcase. They aren't as comfortable as Chevys, but that's not a concern for me. We use ours for hauling horses with a large trailer and also drag a 5th wheel around with it.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

My grandfather in Nova Scotia drove a Ford F150 for as long as I remembered. They lasted forever it seemed. But of course, depending upon where you live and the type of driving you do, this will certainly affect your decision making.

The last truck that I rode in that nearly knocked me into the back windshield was a Dodge RAM. The damn thing had a V10 Engine!

Looked sort of like ANIMAL'S Dodge Truck, but the one I was in was slightly newer, and Black in colour. The thing just wanted to drive up a mountain side and crush rocks. It was THAT powerful. Driving on the expressway, the thing could leap in a mere second leaving BMWs/Mercedes fluff cars in the dust. Whoosh!

I tend to be partial to North American trucks (lorry's to you UK folks). I have to admit, I was most impressed with the Dodge (and I come from a Ford family). Ford is a passionate second, GM and Chevy trucks are good too. If I was given any one of the three, I'd gladly accept.

My grandfather's Ford F150 is a 1978 year, and yes...she's still running (Nova Scotia).

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Mac. I've had experience with all of the big 3. My first truck where I am employed was a 1995 Dodge Ram with a V6, and I am happy to say, that I passed that one along to a junior employee, and it's his problem now.

My current company vehicle is a 1998 Ford F-150 XLT with a Triton V8, and it has been pretty reliable, except for the time the PVC valve linkages froze up and the accelerator jammed, and it had to be driven into a snowbank to avoid an accident Yikes !

My personal vehicle is a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab 4x4. The lease expires in May, and I will most definately be getting another one after that. Of all the 3 trucks I have found the Chevy to be the most dependable, and fun to drive. We pull a 23' travel trailer in the summer, and it has performed flawlessly. The 4 x 4 is great too, as I've used it in the summer to launch boats and in the winter, when the roads are snow covered or icy. I don't think you'll need 4x4 in SeaTac though, but most of the trucks sold in Canada, come with 4x4 as a standard feature. LOL ! How's that for stereotyping !

Whatever you decide, I strongly suggest you look at an extended cab. The additional room is great both for everday items as well as the additional kids er passengers. My truck has the front bench seat option, so I can carry 6 comfortably and safely.

I also suggest you may want to get a 3 month on line subscription with Consumer's Digest. It proved invaluable when I shopped for the truck, as well as other purchases since then.

Let us know what you decide, and then post a pic.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Thanks again everyone for the replies and recommendations. Much appreciated!

Animal - great pic of your truck! When I finally decide, I will try and post a pic.

Tough choices - Dodge, Ford, Chevy????

Based on a little web surfing, I am leaning towards Chevy S10 or Silverado because of price, miles, features. Comparable year/miles for Ford and Dodge were priced 10-20% higher than the Chevy. That could just mean that Ford and Dodge hold their value better than Chevy?

Here is a blurb from the Chevy website about the engine in the Silverado:

The standard Vortec 6000 V8 SFI engine in Silverado 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD and 3500 models provide more power than the standard engine in Ford Super-Duty pickups.(1) The available Vortec 8100 V8 SFI engine in Silverado 2500HD and 3500 models produces more torque than the V8 and V10 gas engines available from Ford and Dodge

LB - What do you mean by a chick truck? I doubt I will be hauling a trailer, horses or other heavy duty items - just typical suburbia duty, landscaping work on my yard, hauling stuff to the dump etc. If that defines a chick truck, then OK! LOL

xjw - It's true, we rarely get snow in the Pacific Northwest so the 4x4 would not be a necessity - however, I am sure my 16 year old son would say its a must have. My Cherokee has 4 wheel drive, and all the power and comfort options, so this truck will be basic transportation.

Razorblade - your grandfathers 78 Ford 150 is a good endorsement for Ford products.

Thanks again everyone!

Mak

chick truck class ; )

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

FORD trucks are the only way to go... Thats all we use on my farm, there Ford tough...

• buffman
    buffman

I have had 3 Nissan pickups and have loved everyone of them. My latest only cost 11,500 brand new, but it only came with the extra cab. I mean thats ALL it came with. LOL. No air, radio, blah blah. But it was a new dependable truck on the cheap. Here is a pic:

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

So it`s time to get rid of the girly-man car and buy a manly truck..Hey Mak,I`m going to buy a truck soon too.I like Chevy or Dodge,good hearty vehicles,easy to work on if your so inclined..Like you I`m looking for one a few years old..Check out a truck buyers guide that lists the models and years,of lemons and keepers..Good luck in your search for a manly truck..LOL!...OUTLAW

• Makena1
    Makena1

Well I finally did it - bought my first truck!

Took about a month to research, drive, and price a variety of trucks. Chevy S-10's, Silverados, Ford 150 and 250's, GMC's and finally Dodge Ram and Dakota.

Decided on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, Sport. Picture of a similar model is below, but mine is black with tan leather interior, also has roll bar and mopar off road lights. Paid a little more than I planned on, but the dealer gave me about $1500 more than I was expecting to get for my 1996 Miata. Will try and post an actual picture soon. Thanks everyone who responded for your input.

It is a joy to drive and behold. Haven't been this excited since my first car - a '66 Chevelle SS

All best,

Makena

PS - my 16 year old son is ecstatic too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit