If You Could Ask Ray Franz A Question, What Would It Be?

by minimus 12 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I actually have a few. I'd like to know how he really feels 23 years after he got disfellowshipped. His books show no real bitterness, but in reality isn't he a little??? Does he miss "the friends", or did he just learn to rely on God and either be content in himself or simply try to make new friends. Ray Franz is for many, a role model, whether he feels comfortable with that tag or not..... I wonder where my journey would take me in my spirituality 20 years from now.

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, I feel a little uncomfortable about this question. It would all be supposition and I would hate someone to post their uneducated comments about my thoughts and motivations. If someone has a sincere question, then direct it here:

I'm sure Ray Franz will answer all sincere questions not already addressed in his books as he has time. Questions that are not intrusive or insulting though not intended that way.

Just looking at this as if I were Ray Franz, or any other person with feelings.

Blondie

• LB
    LB

I would simply ask Ray if he understood how much he means to so many people. I have no desire to question his frame of mind or the level of bitterness that may remain. He's an older man and has worked his butt off.

Then I would find great pleasure in thanking him and shaking his hand. Give him a smile and allow him his peace.

• minimus
    minimus

Blondie, I can understand your feelings. My question was not meant to inflame against Ray Franz in any way. I think that if it weren't for Ray, many of us would not be able to articulate our feelings about the organization, about the "truth". If you were able to have a private conversation with him (which some here on this board have done) I would think that we would want to pick his brain on what his thoughts are about the future of the organization, amongst other things. Regarding my comments about decades of service to an organization for nothing, this would in time make most people somewhat bitter. Right now, I'm not truly bitter, but I do feel exasperation for many years wasted. If I got disfellowshipped under silly pretenses, I'd probably be a real nasty "apostate". Many of us enjoyed such ones as Maximus, JT, and now fjoth, for their insights on Bethel life. In case there's ever been any question as to how I feel about Ray Franz, I'd like to say that Ray has helped me and others to appreciate the truth about the "truth". I think he is a man of courage, conscience and comfort. If I could ask one further question to Ray, it would be," Will you be writing another book, because if you are, there is a new world of "friends" waiting for your help!"

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, go ahead and email him at the place I provided. He is very approachable and willing to talk one on one in a private conversation. There is no need to post private conversations here or surmise what a person "might" say. It is counter productive, when all you have to do is reach out and touch someone using the contact points I posted above. Otherwise, it deteriorates into gossip and rumor. If you want to ask those questions, contact him. Doing it here by guess and by golly, sets up a situation full of unnecessary guessing.

It's easy. I know from experience.

Blondie (hates theoretical conversations unless the person is dead or God and can't or won't respond)

• minimus
    minimus

I have talked to Ray on at least 2 occasions, and he was pleasant but not very talkative. He seemed uncomfortable when I told him of my appreciation for his contributions. My experience with him is that he said very little and it seemed awkward for a few moments. So, Blondie, I did talk to him( while living). On this type of forum we ask all sorts of questions about "what if".....Regarding putting Ray's email or telephone on the net or anywhere else, I think that could lead to a deluge of calls that might not be totally appreciated, imo..........Minimus, from the ex-elder class to Blondie of the still eldress class.....Theoretically speaking, oh never mind.....(for some reason my little smiley face isn't working).

• Valis
    Valis

I've often wondered if he considered himself amember of the FDS and whether or not that affected scholarly judgement/interpretation during his tenure in the writing dept...I could ask him,but I would rather not bother him....I agree w/blondie though some cretin could start in with the ugliness again, instead of sticking to hypothetical wonderings. Guess we can't let that happen now can we? I also like LB's comment about "fi he only knew" too...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Mary
    Mary

I would ask him if he ever saw anything resembling tongues of fire floating above the GB Board Room Table , and if he thinks the present Board are sh*tting bricks with the exposure of all their dirty linen in public.

• blondie
    blondie

minimus, I think you know that you need time to get to know people to ask the personal type of questions you have. I wouldn't necessarily answer just any question someone put to me. My answer might be, I don't know, or I don't know you that well. I'm sure he thinks of himself as a human like you and I and is surprised that his opinion counts for so much with some people. I have talked face to face with Ray and I didn't feel that my questions were put off to the side. I found that what I had to say was important to him and his wife and more than once made them smile and laugh. But it takes time to build a relationship that makes one comfortable revealing very personal information. Don't give up and keep calling remembering he has a busy life like we all do. I found them hospitable and kind. I don't know if I would be such if people were calling me and sending me mail.

Mary, I can answer the one about the holy spirit since I have been in that room and I can tell you that nothing is visible. Even Benny Hinn with his shenigans has yet to have holy spirit reveal itself visibly. Are they worried? Yes and no. I'm sure Legal is shoring up their fears but not holy spirit. "Persecution" only means they are God's people even to the superlative degree.

To everyone else, it is so easy to think of the people who post here as not being real. But we are and if pricked do we not bleed. How more so to single out someone who doesn't post here. If that makes me a prig and prudish, so be it.

Blondie(ex-eldress, but still a b*tch at times)

• Shakita
    Shakita

No questions for Ray. Just a thank you for providing the books needed to leave a "very high control group."

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit