My father has cancer??

by blisterfeet 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Since there is some communication with your Mom, you might want to ask her to pass on your love and concern to him for you and ask if he would like a visit from you.

Cofty's edit was right on. It's not your feelings at any given time that matter, it's your unconditional willingness to be there for Mom and Dad when they need you.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm very sorry Blisterfeet. About six months after I disassociated my dad died. I was told that I could visit him in hospice one last time. My decision at the time was to be the bigger person (as I saw it) and to just be me, a loving guy that was now healthy emotionally.

I went. It was weird. It was all about them, as it always is with JWs. I pushed for my moment alone at the end and said some heartfelt and poignant things. I wanted to release my dad from worry and send things out on a good note. He offered me nothing.

Once I left I was dead to them again. I wasn't even invited to the funeral. My mom said we'd get together. That never happened. They'll lie or do whatever they need to do to get what they want. It's all about them.

Seeing my dad ultimately wasn't good. I got to end things on a better note but it was just me making it all happen. Being catapulted back in and spat back out of the family so quick was a mind fuck.

My mom can die alone (well she still has my youngest brother and my sister) . I won't be used by them any longer. I'm done unless someone comes out of that toxic environment. I owe them nothing. It was and has always been about them. One of my mom's biggest fears is that my brother and I who are shunned think they were monsters. I do. I can rationalize how they got there, excuse their behavior as victims, but in the end it would be me putting myself last again to make people feel better that would never do the same for me. So fuck 'em.

You do you. Don't be guilted into anything. Don't be something that you feel they want you to be. They wouldn't for you. Don't let them jerk you around. At the same time don't be prickly. Just be you, but make sure that you're taking care of you, not them, in the process.

Just my 2 cents from my experience a couple of years ago and my feelings after. I thought I'd regret not stepping up for them. I regret doing so now. They made their bed and alienated us, they can lie in it.

• LV101
    LV101

blisterfeet - I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this. Some really good advice here.

dubstepped - So sorry what you've dealt with and are dealing with. The cult's mind control over its adherents is just horrendous. I wish there were TV/news shows nightly about the JW reality -- people wouldn't believe!

• blisterfeet
    blisterfeet

I had a dream last night about my dad..

i had a cat for a long time. He died a few years ago. My dad and this cat were always frenemies. Dad would make him stay outside. Cat would get dirty paw prints all over his car. Dad would makes the dogs chase the cat..

so my dream.. my cat is in heaven at the gate just weaving in and out of the spokes, he can do that since he’s a cat..

my dad comes up and knocks (like he would knock on a door for preaching) and my cat looks at him and says “look who wants in now huh.”

lol it was sweet and funny.. not scary or sad.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Beautiful, Blisterfeet - love it. I'm glad it made you smile☺

• tiki
    tiki

Sorry for your difficult situation....do what you feel best for you....the only person whose life you can control and enhance primarily is you own. If your kindness is not wanted or appreciated in one place...take it elsewhere...so sad how natural family love is so easily scrapped by that religion...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit