"So that we will not be confused with salesmen, it is best not to mention the donation arrangement unless we are asked..."

by Island Man 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "So that we will not be confused with salesmen, it is best not to mention the donation arrangement unless we are asked how our work is financed."

This damning quote is found on page 1 of the September 2015 Our Kingdom Ministry, the last sentence in the 3rd bullet point under the sub-heading How to do it. This quote amounts to an implicit admission that the JW practice of mentioning the donation arrangement to householders at the door, makes them look like door to door salesmen.

Why would "Jehovah's Organization" be engaging in a practice that is nothing more than a transparent attempt at undercover soliciting? Why are they engaging in a practice that they know full well makes them look like door to door salesmen - especially in light of what 2 Corinthians 2:17 saying:

...we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are...

When a JW goes out of his way to mention the voluntary donation arrangement just at the point that the householder accepts the literature, and thus serving as a means of subtly soliciting money from the householder, can he honestly say that he is not peddling Watchtower literature?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150915105808AALNaun

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

I think this is specific to "Business Territory" because the part is titled

Improving Our Skills in the Ministry—Witnessing in Business Territory

• OverlappingGeneralizations
    OverlappingGeneralizations

"...we are not peddlers of the word of God as many men are..."

When I hear "peddlers of the word" I always picture bicycling Mormons...

• Island Man
    Island Man
    I think this is specific to "Business Territory" because the part is titled
    Improving Our Skills in the Ministry—Witnessing in Business Territory

True. But if mentioning the donation arrangement makes them sound like salesmen in the business territory then wouldn't it also make them sound like door to door salesmen in door to door territory? Why would true christians out to preach the good news be engaged in any tactics that cause them to be confused for salesmen? How is it that their normal tactics do not result in a clear enough distinction between one serving Jehovah and one who is a salesman?

• prologos
    prologos

that asking for 10 cents really really cheapened the message, (as if that was possible in hindsight),-- did not , make dent in the cost incurred. scraping from the many to enrich the few.

• sir82
    sir82

Wow that's a 180 degree turn.

JW policy has always been that you should mention it, ever since implementation nearly 25 years ago.

Of course, in practice, maybe 1 in 100 JWs actually did mention it.

Wonder why they are making it official now?

• Calebs Airplane
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    Wow that's a 180 degree turn.

No, not really. They're only saying this for business territory.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"So that we will not be confused with salesmen, it is best not to mention the donation arrangement unless we are asked how our work is financed."

If it Walks,Talks and Looks Like a Salesman....Pretending Not to be a Salesman..

Its Probably a JW..

.................... I`ll Take Your Money!

..................Image result for Jehovahs witness at door

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Maybe this is a small step in the direction of dropping the door to door donation arraignment of asking?

Edit: Nope! They have said this before.

km 3/12 p. 2 Witness in Business Territory With Confidence

So that we will not be confused with salesmen, it is usually best not to mention the donation arrangement unless we are asked how our work is financed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit