If the Watchtower corporation went bust

by Fred Franztone 39 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

It seems to me, that for some time the GB has emphasized itself as the head of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and the distinction between the religion and the corporation. In times past it spoke of "Jehovah's Witnesses using the WTBS to publish its literature." The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses is a separate legal entity, responsible for administration of the religion.

What this means (in my view) is that the Watchtower Society could go bankrupt, and the GB could survive like a snake shedding its skin. The Christian Congregation would need to establish a new legal entity to handle some matters, but it could be done. It happens all the time in the business world.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

@ stan livedeath

Bought by the Mormon church. ROFL, now that would be priceless. Off the chart ironic!!!! Lots would be bursting with laughter should that happen. Priceless and ironic. .. Being ''bought out'' by what they have slammed as ''Babylon the Great'' for a great many decades. That would be GREAT!!!!

• Simon
    Simon

Religions can't go bust - they have free labor and are tax free, even a complete moron couldn't fail to turn a profit with those!

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

It will never go bust as long as the internet is up and running.

They don't need buildings.They would spin it that they had to go underground. It could be run out of someones basement, however, it would be given the appearance of still being a going concern.

The only contact with the Society would be by means of e-mail. No phone contact. [Much like now.]

Everyone advised to keep on meeting in their homes. Keep strong, maintain your faith. Praised for keeping the faith and carrying on in face of persecution.

Instructions would be given on how to send money to their accounts. [offshore] Patreon type account method where monthly sums regularly donated.

Many, if not all of the brass, still there, any where [home, vacationing, etc.] to live off the money as it is passed on to them. A very difficult thing for a 50, 60,70 year old to be sent out to pasture to support themselves. Frantically and creatively thinking how to still live off the sheeple.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It all comes down to control.

IF the GB maintain the control, and hold such power over the individual members, then the religion will continue in some form.

BUT, if the GB lose their grip of control (if members see them as the powerless men behind the curtain and not as "gods spokesmen") then things will disintergrate...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Stuckinarut;

Good points exactly!!!

This is why the G.B. are so afraid of information. With the recent release of Crisis of Conscience again, is a real eye opener!!

Reading through the first half of it, talks mainly of the JWism make-up and structure. The real ''meat'' and ''conscience'' factors are about half way through the book. It really takes time to absorb what Mr Franz was writing about. You have to go back to some of the chapters and ''digest'' everything slowly again.

WOW!!!! OMG!!!!

After reading it, you really realize that the GB cannot be Gods mouthpiece!!!! The GB have to have a 2rds majority vote of the GB. You ask yourself, how can they be divine inspired!!!!!

I feel deeply indebted to the late Mr. Franz. A real classy guy. Also deeply indebted to Mrs. Dykstra who was instrumental in the release again. And also Thank God for Mike and Kim. God bless them all!!! Enjoy your Sunday!!!!

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone
    The question is not about family and friends, it's about the JWs. Furthermore, it's yet another unhealthy, escape from reality, unnecessary, never will happen what if that brings nothing positive to anyone.
    Spend your time fostering a good relationship with your JW love ones instead of wasting time fantasizing.

I don't think you belong on this message board

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There's been a lot of outward speculation that the WTS is on the verge of collapse due to financial reasons.

WRONG

The WTS has never been richer and it has in place a strategy to keep itself afloat just to make sure.

The corrupt assholes that run this organization spent a lot of time to build a supporting base around it, mostly complied of Fear, Obligation and Guilt imposed and manipulated to sustain the ongoing operation of the organization.

In other words the JWS and the WTS. ain't going away anytime soon.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

It is a difficult question to answer, without making assumptions about the manner in which the Borg might go bust.

Firstly, I think Watchtower to "go bust", the US branch would have to go bust, in its own right. Whatever happens in the rest of the world is irrelevant by comparison.

Secondly, it would make quite a difference whether the "bust" is due to a default with a financier, or just a failure to keep paying salaries and various operating expenses. I don't think I have ever seen any evidence that Watchtower has borrowed money, so I would assume the latter.

If the above 2 assumptions are correct, it would be difficult for the US branch to go bust in a spectacular manner. Instead, would would see them become late payers on everything, shutting down any significant expensive operations (eg printing), reducing funding for overseas missionaries, laying off bethelites, and selling off non-core assets (ie underutilized Kingdom Halls, etc). That is pretty much what they are doing now (except I don't know whether or not they are late payers).

If the above is the actual situation (which is really just a cash flow issue), then it could go on for decades. It would not create any sudden drop in adherents, but it would be corrosive to the numbers over time.

If (hypothetically) the US branch does have significant financial debts, and it were to default, it may not become public knowledge, unless the default is spectacular, in some way. I don't see that happening, but if it did, perhaps it could cause some adherents to peer behind the curtain. Unfortunately, the majority would probably just follow whatever explanation the GB gave.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree Watchtower is in the middle of collapsing, as evidenced by selling off branches, firing special pioneers and sending bethelites home.

Except I think it could get a whole lot worse. They could start selliing KHs and assembly halls even where there is no plausible organisational justification.

Plus the new branch in England is a real one to watch. In reality they don't need it any more at all, because it won't do any printing. But to reverse plans and sell it off would be such a major climbdown they will only do it if they absolutely have to. Which I think they will, and send the money the United States to keep the headquarters functioning just a little bit longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit