My boyfriend proposed to me.

by Preston 58 Replies latest social relationships

• Preston
    Preston

Over dinner yesterday in a restaraunt my boyfriend proposed to me. It was an unexpected moment for me on valentine's day. Didn't know what to expect. We've been going steady for over a year now, we hugged, kissed, and held hands which is something a lot of gay people will not do in public here in Arizona, but we did. Then he read some poetry, got down on one knee, gave me a ring, and asked for my hand in marriage. It was a fitting end to an eventful day yesterday.....

I'd told him I'd have to think about it. LOL. As terrible as it sounds, I just don't know what to think. He's the first person I've ever seriously dated, and he's ten years older than me, but he's very sweet to me, and I think the world of him.

Comments? Suggestions?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I think you must consider that your children might be born...uh..you know...gay. Nothing wrong with that, but would you want them to have to live with the kind of social pressures you've had to deal with? Just something to think about. It isn't pretty to think about, but in the world we live in, the offspring of two men is going to be considered a freak. Still with Christ, all things are possible.

Six-clueless in Christ class

• manon
    manon

Congratulations Preston,

Enjoy your engagement, take the time out to delight in one another. If thing are meant to be for the both of you then It will be. I love valentines day proposals I don't know why I just do.

Manon

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound
    I think you must consider that your children might be born...uh..you know...gay. Nothing wrong with that, but would you want them to have to live with the kind of social pressures you've had to deal with? Just something to think about. It isn't pretty to think about, but in the world we live in, the offspring of two men is going to be considered a freak. Still with Christ, all things are possible.

Six-clueless in Christ class

Please step away from the crack pipe.

Preston, congrats, just decide if you would be happy or not with a commited relationship.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

((((((((((((((((((((Preston))))))))))))))))))))))

Congratulations! I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. Facing a prospective marriage partner is thought-provoking indeed; and I'm sure even more so when you're gay.

Last Friday night I had my first invitation to a gay wedding between a long-time friend and fellow ex-jw with his partner of 4 years. Unfortunately, I was sick with some kind of sinus infection and couldn't go. I was very sad that I couldn't go and see my friend on his happy day.

However, I hope you know yourself enough now to figure out if you want to take this drastic step with your partner. You mentioned that he's the first you've seriously dated, and how fond of him you are and how sweet he is to you. Can you tell us more about your feelings? Do you have an open, honest, and trusting relationship? I look forward to hearing more about him.

Good luck with your decision. I always enjoy reading about others and their situations--we each have so much to learn from each other.

Becky

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    As terrible as it sounds, I just don't know what to think. He's the first person I've ever seriously dated

If that's the case, take it slow.....ten years can be a lifetime for some people....still, it's real great that it happened to you. At least you know you're loved!

ash

• Swan
    Swan

Congratulations Preston!

I hope you will be happy regardless of what you decide.

Tammy

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

BTW, Six of Nine--UMMM, where did that come from? He's asking for advice about marrying his partner. No mention of children, despite the fact we have no idea whether or not he even wants children. Hopefully we can let him have his moment and not try to rush his future.

Becky

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Please step away from the crack pipe.

How dare you suggest such a thing of me, my baby is no crack baby. I've seen your picture, I bet you aren't even christian!

Preston, be careful with these people, they're all like the white people who like to say "some of my best friends are black".

• maximumflash
    maximumflash

Congrats Preston!! Hope you find what you are looking for and live life happy. As for advice, do what your heart tells you to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit