What's destroying Watchtower!

by UnshackleTheChains 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

For me, beyond any shadow of a doubt, it's the extreme shunning policy.

At a recent Sunday meeting, I listened to a complete brainwashed sister saying how important it was that we stick to the shunning policy EVEN if it is a close relative.

I just thought. WTF

There is a big difference between the brainwashed and the awoken class!

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

It is easy to make comments like that sister until she finds herself at the shunned end of the situation. They think you need to be evil to get disfellowshiped when in reality you can get disfellowshiped quite easily for nothing serious at all.

• venus
    venus

It is too obvious that shunning policy cannot be of divine origin as it undercuts the most important statement of Jesus in Mathew 5:44-48. Hence it is better that JWs stick to their shunning policy. They do not know how much damage it does to themselves. Hitler used to shoot down messenger that brings a bad news of any mission failed. Hence his own people refrained from giving him such news which gave him a false feeling that he is on the path to the third Reich and believed that he was creating a third German empire. Let WT too behave like Hitler.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In a nutshell the Internet and possibly the child sex abuse cases that are getting more media attention now ,that`s whats destroying (?) the WT/JW religion though it`s going to take a far longer time than most people would like.

"Destroying" is probably not the best terminology to describe their demise .It`s going to be a gradual thing over a long period of time which means they could still be around many,many years into the future , however with a much smaller membership than they have now.

As your OP suggests most/many JW`s accept shunning and are quite willing to abide by the GB`s directives to enforce it even when close blood Kin are involved .

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I competely agree. Shunning has to stop. Were it not for shunning and freedom of thought I could happily be JW.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the hardcore line with stunning has been in force since the "Great Apostasy" and with Franz and others leaving in the early 1980's did it hurt them that much? I'm not sure it did, the R&F embraced the martyrdom that came with it, it made them feel self righteous and important, the INTERWEB and child abuse lawsuits are killing them and their ridiculous doomsday end times dogma that have run out of time.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Venus That's incredible.

Comment of the year for me.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    I competely agree. Shunning has to stop. Were it not for shunning and freedom of thought I could happily be JW.

Wow, that's interesting slimboyfat! So, unless you'd consider it "freedom of thought" (meaning you would have to lead a "double" life"), would you agree and accept the WT policies regarding blood, birthdays, X-mas, saluting the flag, bedroom restrictions etc.etc.? Just curious...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Sure, shunning is a point.

But I genuinely think that the most damaging thing the society is doing, is whitewashing its past wrong teachings, and not being transparent about its present day scandals such as the mishandling of child sexual abuse issues. This is so damaging, because when a witness FINALLY learns those things, they are HEARTBROKEN AND PISSED OFF that the organisation they thought was Gods channel, is corrupt!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@stuckinarut2: "This is so damaging, because when a witness FINALLY learns those things, they are HEARTBROKEN AND PISSED OFF that the organisation they thought was Gods channel, is corrupt!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit