MILLIONS PROTESTING AGAINST WAR

by Realist 32 Replies latest jw friends

• roybatty
    roybatty
    a) these people were fighting against him. they started it. it was an internal war.

b) where was the US protecting them? after all the US had told them to attack hussein's troops.

Saddam has been killing his own people since the 1970's. And yes, the US should have kept their promise to the Kurds. Again, I ask you, where were all the protests back then?

Two, Why are few, if any, Iraqi citizens who are living abroad, joining in the war protests?

a) says who?

b) political refugees and people who might gain power after the war will probably agree that iraq should be attacked.

Says ME. Whenever I turn on the news and see protests against Israel, for example, I see a large percentage of Palistians. But whenever I see a protest against the US' policy with Iraq, I never see (at least in great numbers) the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who are living abroad. Why? I can't imagine that out of the hundreds of thousannds of Iraqi citizens who are living abroad, at least ten thousand won't protest the war against Iraq. I wonder why?

Three, Who is more concerned with not killing Iraqi citizens - Saddam & his goons or the US and it's military?

neither sides cares about the population.

Not true. The US military is spending billions of dollars to develop GPS weapons so that civilians aren't killed. Also, do you think the US military is going to carpet bomb Bagdad? Why not?

On the other hand, who uses humans shields? Who has there military hiding in schools, masque (sp.?) and hospitals? The goons that you are defending.

God I feel so sorry for the citizens of Iraq. Not only do they have Saddam stepping on their neck, they have millions of people worldwide who are against them because they are against the means by which he'd be removed from power.

• gumby
    gumby

I wonder what will happen to protestors after the govt wins the war w iraq???

SS

Well...if the price of gas is then cheap enough.......they'll be like the dubs and be glad someone did the dirty work. If gas prices stay the same......then the'll still point fingers.

Gumby

• Erich
    Erich

roybatty wrote: A few questions for the war protestors... One, where were you guys when Saddam was killing thousands of his own citizens right after the Gulf war?<

Another question:

Where were the US-troops when Saddam killed thousands of his own citizens (after the golf war, and before the golf war) ??

E.

• Realist
    Realist

roybatty,

i am not supporting hussein. if there would be a better alternative to him i would love to see him eliminated. but his elimination will cost thouands of lives and there will be chaos after he is gone.

Saddam has been killing his own people since the 1970's. And yes, the US should have kept their promise to the Kurds. Again, I ask you, where were all the protests back then?

the problem is ...this was a civil war. the kurds and religious fanatics wanted to get rid of hussein. so it was a logical consequence that hussein would strike back.

besides that...the media did not report as much about it ... and there was nothing that could have been done.

ok if the US is so concerned about civilian lives than why do they demand that the food and drug embago stays into place? hundreds of thousands of people died because of it.

the reason the US cannot afford to use carpet bombing anymore are public protests. so they have to pretend they have super accurate weapons...which were in reality not all that accurate in the first war at least.

• JH
    JH

Bush is different from past presidents. He has a hard head, and wants war. He should listen to the people and give peace a chance. The UN is there for that. There should be no time table for the UN.

A few years ago, the UN was kicked out of Iraq, but now they can finally do their job. If they need more men, let them have more.

UN peacekeepers could be in Iraq, and see to the destruction of WMD, if there is any.

Edited by - jh on 15 February 2003 13:57:15

• roybatty
    roybatty
    the reason the US cannot afford to use carpet bombing anymore are public protests. so they have to pretend they have super accurate weapons...which were in reality not all that accurate in the first war at least.

In the first Gulf war and even more recently with the Afgan war, how many civilians did you see killed by by American fire power. Not many.

Regarding "where were American troops when Saddam was killing his own people" well, I find it deplorable that Bush senior didn't finish the job. He instead gave in to the UN.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Now Private Eye is lampooning Bush:

• seawolf
    seawolf

roybatty,

Are you sure that if the US attacks that things are going to be any better? The US has already stated that they're going to be using more depleted uranium weapons. Have you seen all the cancer, birth defects, etc that depleted uranium has caused there already? Who is going to be in charge there? How much is this going to cost the US when all is said and done? Just saw a report on tv a few days ago and the estimates were that this could cost as much as a trillion dollars when all is said and done. How much of this war is being dictated by lobbying and other interests, be it oil, military, israeli, etc interests? Is this going to fan the flames of Arab hatred towards the US?

We were told over and over that Saddam isn't crazy and isn't nuts. We told him in 1991 that if he used WMD on us that we'd nuke him (to paraphrase stormin' norman's words). He didn't and thus we didn't nuke him. Now all of a sudden he is going to start lobbing crap at us knowing full well Israel has 200+ nukes and the US has $5 trillion of nukes that would make Iraq glow so bright that it would be seen from outside the Milky Way.

The people of Iraq don't really have much of a choice but to want Saddam gone. a decade+ of sanctions, the world constantly going on and on about Saddam this and Saddam that, yeah I would want him gone too just to move on. Yeah he's a dictator and a brutal one at that but so have been a lot of the US' allies in the past. We gave Saddam (as did a lot of other countries) a lot of his weapons and now we're being told we have to go in there because he has this and that. Say that everything we're being told is true. Why aren't we holding our governments responsible for this? It's like this happens over and over and nothing is done about it and it just keeps happenin' and now all hell is getting ready to break out because of another mess we've gotten ourselves into.

Not true. The US military is spending billions of dollars to develop GPS weapons so that civilians aren't killed. Also, do you think the US military is going to carpet bomb Bagdad? Why not?

Here's an interesting article about the batteries that go into these 'smart bombs.' Some are defective and it was covered up:

Civilian deaths caused by American bombings are creating tensions in Afghanistan and the country's new government has promised angry tribal leaders it will warn the U.S. to be more careful.

"The people are not happy with Americans. They promised they would not kill civilians," the government has said.

One cause of the casualties: smart weapons that have gone astray, reports CBS News Correspondent Vince Gonzales. United Nations officials believe more are missing their targets than the U.S. admits.

In some cases guidance systems failed. The batteries that power the guidance systems of nearly all of America's smart weapons are made at this Eagle Picher Technologies plant in Joplin, Mo. Without power from the battery, a smart bomb turns dumb.

As CBS News first reported last month, former plant workers including engineer Rick Peoples worry the batteries are failing.

"People's lives depend on those weapons working and chances are they are not going to work," said Peoples.

Eagle Picher attacked his credibility and denied the batteries were faulty. But after the reports, others came forward to support the allegations.

"There's bad batteries out there, and it's gonna kill people," said Toni Goodwin.

Goodwin has been with Eagle Picher since she was 18. The day before the interview she received a gold watch for 25 years of service.

"I'd give it back if it meant they'd spend this money to do things right," she said.

She says she was prevented from properly calibrating test equipment so supervisors could cover up bad batteries.

"They could have made that equipment say anything they wanted."

In a small town like Joplin few people are willing to risk their jobs or the anger of their neighbors by talking on-camera. But off-camera, more than a dozen former and current Eagle Picher employees confirmed the batteries had big problems.

Others, who also worry the batteries are causing civilian casualties, spoke on-camera only after CBS News agreed to protect their identities.

"I think a lot of innocent people are gonna be killed," said one woman.

"The battery would fail and the proper data to make it pass would be fed into the computer and new printouts made," said one man.

Asked if the test was faked, he said, "Yes."

Workers say key battery components and chemicals were used without proper testing.

"I've been told to falsify records. I've been told to falsify test reports," said another man.

When tests were conducted, employees said they were ordered to ignore failures.

"I wouldn't trust nothing. I've seen too many failures," said another woman.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/01/07/eveningnews/main323443.shtml

Has this problem been fixed? If not, does anyone care to take another guess on the amount of civilian casualities in Iraq again?

And is this going to be better than the last Gulf War? Here's an article on the war crimes in the first Gulf War:

As a result of the bombing of facilities essential to civilian life, residential and other civilian buildings and areas, at least 125,000 men, women and children were killed. The Red Crescent Society of Jordan estimated 113,000 civilian dead, 60% children, the week before the end of the war.

http://www.deoxy.org/wc/warcrim2.htm

I know you're concerned about the people of Iraq. I am, too. I just fear that this isn't going to help it and is going to make it worse. I guess time will tell. Regardless, at least we'll get to use some nice military hardware.

"What's the point in having this superb military you're always talking about if we can't use it" -- Madeliene Albright

Edit: Sorry on how this sounded. Was just trying to bring up some points.

Edited by - seawolf on 15 February 2003 17:10:36

Edited by - seawolf on 15 February 2003 17:13:23

• Realist
    Realist

roybatty,

thank god the number of civilians killed by US bombs is dropping!

unfortunately the number of people killed by the idiotic embargo which is enforced by the US has killed a million people. so the US gov. is obvioulsy not tooooo concerned about killing inocent people.

englishman,

i find it fantastic that apparently 90% of the people in britain are against this war and don't fall for blairs & bush's propaganda!

that was a fantastic demo in london!!!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Well at least Bush is getting the message that not everyone is for his unjustified war.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit