To All Those Keen To Tell Us About Their Beliefs

by Simon 50 Replies latest forum announcements

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The only difference is that some of those "Nigerian prince" letters were worth reading, lol.

• jhine
    jhine

Riley , l felt quite depressed by your comments about Evangelical Christians.

Are you American? , the use of the word Evangelical makes me think so . In the UK that word isn't used much .

As a member of the Anglican church I've not found that people think that they are experts on vaccines or the Ukraine . I and my Anglican friends all chose to be vaccinated but that was purely our choice.

We regularly pray for peace in the Ukraine, which is not a bad thing surely. In fact on our news sheet the wording is

" please pray for

All those, on both sides, involved in the war in Ukraine, that sense will prevail "

Better stop now , for fear of sending anyone to Zzzzzzzz .

Jan

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

Riley , l felt quite depressed by your comments about Evangelical Christians.

Are you American? , the use of the word Evangelical makes me think so .

I don't know if he is American, but I would guess he was using 'Evangelical' from an American or at least North American point of view.

In America it is kind of a catch all term for a certain type of poorly educated, extremely conservative religious busybody, intent on foisting their narrow worldview on the rest of the country. But, because they are good at getting their church members to vote in large numbers, politicians (mostly Republican) pander to their nonsense whether they personally find them repulsive or not. Because they bring votes.

• jhine
    jhine

Thanks Syd , that is pretty much the image l get when mention is made of Evangelical Christians.

I saddens me that clever, unscrupulous people get money or power by running Evangelical mega churches.

Of course people often view all Christians through the lens of Evangelical Christianity.

Jan

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Of course people often view all Christians through the lens of Evangelical Christianity. "

This is sad, because as has been pointed out, even in the USA, Loony Evangelicals are a minority, and I imagine there are many Church communities like yours Jan, over the Pond.

Locally near me in the U.K there are some vibrant Churches with wonderful, loving communities of members, which some may confuse with the more extreme types of Church, but they are not, they don't even pressure preach when you display lots of interest, it is all very loving.

• jhine
    jhine

Absolutely Phizzy , thank you

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Of course people often view all Christians through the lens of Evangelical Christianity - evangelicals are just one branch of Christianity. They deserve criticism, but I'm not sure they should be used to represent Christianity.

You're one of the nice ones, Jan

• jhine
    jhine

Wow thanks Phizzy, l will take that . šŸ˜.

There are a few more like me ( but I'm the best šŸ¤£ ) .

Jan

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

IMO, the most accurate and affectionate media portrayal of the average American Evengelicalā€¦

ā€¦is Ned Flanders of The Simpsons.

Seriously.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    You're one of the nice ones, Jan

Hey, wot about me ? !

Locally near me in the U.K there are some vibrant Churches with wonderful, loving communities of members, which some may confuse with the more extreme types of Church, but they are not, they don't even pressure preach when you display lots of interest, it is all very loving.

Itā€™s all about the label it seems.

Downunder we view evangelical chiristians differently and certainly not like those in the USA who claim that label.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit