Returning

by Doubtfully Yours 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I was a member of this community a long time ago and have lurked for years. Well, I am back and still thoroughly conflicted, with my heart/loyalties as divided as ever.

Please welcome me back, hear me out, and make me feel as welcomed as before.

The WTBTS has changed so very much in recent years that I feel trapped in a completely different religion altogether.

My basic story is that I, being a multigenerational JW, cannot emotionally handle losing my loved ones if I walk out on this religion. So, I am making the best out of this incarceration. I can honestly say that in the congregations I am not alone so we of like minds keep each other company while enduring the misery of the Organization.

Good to be back.

DY

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome back, Doubtfully Yours:

You, certainly, are in good company. Many of us remain conflicted because we want to stay close to beloved JW kith and kin. Fortunately, a few of my friends and family have quit the org. We can talk freely amongst ourselves, but put an ardent JW into the mix and a genial conversation goes amok.

Please stay on board. You'll get replies . . .

Best.

CoCo

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Welcome back. As Angus Stewart said during the Australian Royal Commission, this is a captive organization.

It is hell to "fake it." I think if you are patient there may be more leaving out the door, which may give you the opportunity to make your exit.

This is a great place to vent and feel like you are not alone. We are here for you. This site has been great therapy for us.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

welcome back to the site.

I can honestly say that in the congregations I am not alone so we of like minds keep each other company while enduring the misery of the Organization.

just brilliant---imagine if an entire congregation felt the same way lol

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Good to be back.

Well, welcome back!

I can honestly say that in the congregations I am not alone so we of like minds keep each other company while enduring the misery of the Organization.

So, it could've been worse, right? That's at least one bright side!

Also, you can keep us informed about what's going on in your congregation. I visited only 2 meetings since my fading 4 months ago, and can't listen to it anymore, but I still love to read the real life experiences from within this dying cult.

• Happeanna
    Happeanna

I found when I went and told my family. (Father an elder and my 4 brothers all elder deep in the organisation) that I no longer wanted to be a witness , they were surprised but not shocked as I had voiced doubts over the preceding few years.

One brother as I got into my car to leave came out and said I wish I was as brave as you.

it takes courage to think you might be shunned by them and all you have known but I have found by not wavering , being normal and slowly making a new life , they start to respect you.

I sent them all texts on their birthdays "just thinking of you today" They even reply sometimes now. So after all these years they now respect me and view me as their

equal and they no longer shun me.

No one says it's easy but it is possible in time.

It's being consistent and not being outlandish in behaviour but still a very decent human being, generous and well thought of in the community you live, that I found has won them all round.

Yes it has been lonely at times being on the outside of all their family get togethers but they did tell me when my parents were ill, and my mother would speak to me on the phone and before she died even came on holiday with me

i said to my mother. Mum I will never say anything to you that will pull the rug away from you and your faith. I could , but I love you and want you to be happy and I never did.

i truly believe it's by being loving and non confrontational that has won them round, in time maybe my siblings will leave JW too

welcome back

This site helped me beyond measure 14 years ago and now I feel I need to pay something back with the odd word of encouragement

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My basic story is that I, being a multigenerational JW, cannot emotionally handle losing my loved ones if I walk out on this religion.

Welcome DY....the first thought that came to mind after reading your post is whether or not you may unknowingly have family members who are sticking with the religion for the same reason you are, each thinking they are the only ones having doubts. There could be many of them who think that you'd shun them if they left or brought the topic up and have no idea you are struggling with it just like they are.

I think there are a lot of JW's who are thinking along the same lines as you are but have been silenced by the Organization. It makes life easier from day to day to keep ones mouth shut or do nothing but in the long run the problem festers and more and more people become victims just like you did.

If someone in the previous generation of your family would have been courageous enough to open up the can of worms or simply do a quiet fade, you and many of your relatives may have had the freedom to decide for yourselves what they wanted to do in regard to religion and God rather than be forced to believe or be shunned.

This is how it has always been for those who are being oppressed by others. Thankfully there have always been certain ones who had the courage to say "No More !" and were willing to do whatever it took to take their own personal power back.

There is something very wrong with an organization that harshly and forever more punishes anyone who simply chooses not to attend their meetings or recruit others. After all, that's all it takes to be a JW and that's all you'd have to stop doing to leave them.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

How the Internet has taken off in denouncing the WTBTS is amazing!

I have recently enjoyed stuff posted by R Spike, Daniel Wiebe, Christian Katja, JWSurvey, Apostate Chick, DoUrResearch, etc. Great material!

WOW!!!

DY

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Happeanna

Wow...i don't cry much but your post made me go there. A very heartwarming post. You are brave and a A+ person.

• MrsR-Awaken
    MrsR-Awaken

Welcome Doubtfully Yours

Your not the only one feeling this way, my Hubby and I feel trapped because all our family is in unfortunately and we truly do love them and just thinking of the idea of loosing them hurts, but the idea of faking being a jdub and do jw things just makes me mad it just frustrates me, I truly don't want to be in this religion because I don't like being a hypocrite. But like you said we have to make best of this incarceration for the sake of not loosing our Fam even do it makes life not how you would wish. But my best wishes for you and welcome once again you will truly feel comfortable here were ppl do care about one another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit