If I knew it was wrong I wouldn't do it!

by WantTheTruth 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I have investigated numerous Christian religions. I have never been a JW, but have a friend who use to have Bible studies with me. This friend couldn't answer the hard questions and put me off by avoiding them. I have learned a lot from people on this board and now understand my JW friend a lot better. Before coming to this board, and now more then ever, JWs wouldn't even be the last religion I would ever join... I would NEVER consider it because of many issues, but in particular because of the ever-changing convoluted doctrine that doesn't EVEN ring true with the basic tenets of Christianity.

By the way, relax... don't beat yourself up. Keep prayerfully searching....true 'treasures' take time to find. I don't know about you, but when I am undecided about something and seem confused, that in itself is an answer in the negative. When you know something is right, you KNOW.

Edited by - Double Edge on 13 February 2003 12:16:23

• WantTheTruth
    WantTheTruth

I am also an Englishman... 25 years old in fact.... So a few mates (friends) and a pub sounds like a good plan.

I am not really familiar with the word Troll, but from your posts I get the picture.

I am as honest/ sincere as they come.

I know the truth will come in time... but I really cannot live like this!

I have searched the internet the whole of last year, looking at both sides of the debate; I do see some possible flaws is the JW faith, but nothing is perfect! they seem to have a lot of good quality points which make sense and follow the Bible more than other religions appear to.

I will try to get time to update you on my background in the morning.

I must go home now for a good few drinks.

This is not a way to Live.

Thanks

WTT

• LB
    LB

I know the truth will come in time

Even your name suggests that you've already bought into it. Consider that no one has the truth.

If you can only see possible flaws then young man you are in trouble. You are going into this with your eyes wide shut I fear. Emotional blackmail, child molestors, ever changing doctrine, turning backs on loved ones, failed prophecies and here's the capper. They treat studies much differently than each other. Once you are baptized you'll find out about the "love" they really have for one another. Many times I was cautioned to be careful about what I say in front of someone, as they were just studying.

Truth doesn't change, ever. They do. All the time, to suit their own purposes.

You'll need that luck you don't believe in.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    but nothing is perfect! they seem to have a lot of good quality points which make sense and follow the Bible more than other religions appear to.

It is true that no group of people is without its faults; but not all groups claim to be the exclusive mediator between God and man, demanding absolute unquestioning loyalty to its current rules and dogma. It does not take much effort to uncover the problems of the JW religion - are you ready to make such a huge commitment to a religion which is good in parts at best?

Have you looked as deeply into "many other religions" for their good quality points as you have the JWs? How have you convinced yourself of the validity and value of the Bible, and hence the importance of following it? I am still interested in what has drawn you to this particular religion - do you have family, friends or a girlfriend who are JWs?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

WantTheTruth? Is that really true? How serious are you about "wanting the TRUTH?"

In order to find truth we must uncover what is false. Do you know where the Bible comes from? How it was constructed and with what agenda? Shouldn't one research that first? before investigating religions that base their entire existence upon it? For a starter I suggest books along the lines of: A History of God, by Karen Armstrong The Christ Conspiracy, by Acharya S. The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read, b y Tim C. Leedom If you "really" want the truth -- then don't screw around. JamesT

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

WTT,

Consider mind control before you take the plunge. Your thoughts are very similar to mine when I first became initially involved with the JWs. I'm only 21, female, and I was involved four years ago when I coverted... I thought JWs followed the Bible closer than any religion I'd ever encountered, were friendly, happy people who cared, right?

They are only acting nice because there's a chance you'll convert and they will do anything to get you to convert. Try saying something contradictory to what they teach, and watch the reactions if you hold your ground.

Even more than that, look at the practice of Disfellowshipping. Keep that in mind and read 1 Corintians 13:1-8... and tell me if it's loving to banish a person for sinning when you're supposed to love them... and imagine, if you will, being in this religion for your entire life, having a family, and maybe a few kids... and then imagine that one of your children decides that he or she dosn't want to be a witness... you have to shun your child, WTT. Imagine doing that, and tell me it's in line with the Bible. Jws may have a good idea in studying the bible, but there are several elements of mind control employed in the religion as well as "tough love" to try to encourage a person.. that's not what Jesus taught, no matter how they twist the argument. That's what got me out (and the fact that I'm a lesbian and they didn't take kindly to that.) Smiles. Email me or write back on the forum when you get a chance. I have stuff to say in private that could help [email protected]

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

WantTheTruth, if you haven't already done so, read Crisis of Conscience. Ask the JWs you associate with about any questions you have about the book. Ask them to read it. Note their response.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Hey Want The Truth....

I have felt like you before. Especially when I decided that the Jehovah's Witness way of belief wasn't for me. For some the JWs really do change their lives for the better. But like any religion, or belief system, you shouldn't always take things for face value. The JWs encourage questioning religions. Unfortunately they do not encourage questioning THEIR religion.

It is a very frustrating situation to be in you're not sure of your beliefs or whether you even have faith. Or what you're supposed to have faith in.

hang in there..... research..... seek out..... pray.....

Find what works for you personally, what fulfills you. If it ends up being teh Jehovah's witness religon then best wishe sto you. Just be sure whatever you find, if it make syou happy, make sure it does hurt others...

I have happy thoughts for you

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Want the truth,

The choice is up to you. Tread carefully before joining anything. Take your time and do more research. Easy to join something. Not so easy to get out.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I guess it is "Make Your Mindup Time", in 1 Kings 18 v 21 it says

"How long will you be limpng upon two different opinions?"..

Just think,

Can you stomach the joyful expectation of the mass slaughter of the better part of 6 billion souls at Armageddon? - to make way for the "New World" ?

Are you happy with a religion that changes its teaching to fit failed prophecy ,eg Matt 24 and the Generation of 1914?

Can you explain why IF blood is sacred, so many parts of it are allowed in medical treatment? ..see the ajwrb website

Are you happy with a religion that insists on no political ties with the world and yet secretly was a NGO afilliate of the United Nations for around ten years until they got found out?

Anyway, LB is right , I have seen (In the UK) how a "Study" can sometimes be treated with kid gloves and nurtured as a project, until they are baptised , then you are left to it while they find another study to fill up their record card.

Take care "Wanthetruth" - you are welcome here and we wont disfellowship you if you do decide to go in .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit