Genesis Lifetimes and Numerology

by schnell 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'm with Barold Bonds , I want what your smoking!

• schnell
    schnell

Go for it.

But undeniable evidence please. No interpretations.

Numerology did not start after the compilation of Genesis from its 4 sources. Genesis is much more recent than the ancient doctrines and symbolism in Egypt, which influenced the culture that produced Genesis. Certain numbers in Egypt were special because of what they represent and where they are found. Link.

With numbers like 969 and 777, and with Adam's lifetime reducing to 12, yeah, I'm gonna take a stab and say there was symbolism at work.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

with Adam's lifetime reducing to 12

You're assuming that the information about a) Adam and b) how long he lived for, is accurate.

Any actual evidence?

My lifetime reduces to 12. Should I worry? Or am I in the money?

yeah, I'm gonna take a stab

Right - so basically this is all a guess.

• schnell
    schnell
    You're assuming that the information about a) Adam and b) how long he lived for, is accurate.

No, that is what a literalist does. Adam isn't a historical person who lived at all. Instead, you have a metaphor for all of mankind, and that's Adam. His lifetime reduces to 12 and then 3, which is interesting happenstance relating to a few weird things and nothing more.

Any actual evidence?

Of occultist ideas in the Bible? Have you read Revelation?

Right - so basically this is all a guess.

More of an inference, and I'm not dogmatic about it. I can't tell, are you upset? Because this is not the subject to get bent out of shape over.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

I am going through a course that includes an introduction to programing language and one thing I had to learn was to convert numbers from decimal our normal metric system to binary code, to octal, to hexadecimal. and they are all a way of keeping track but they do not convert evenly at all base 10 base 2,8, and 16. So what if possibly some scribe somewhere along the way just didn't convert his numbers correctly, when he was translating these fables. I like numerology and it is interesting I don't have the stomach to delve into the lieble any more to try to decipher anything out of it.

• schnell
    schnell
    I am going through a course that includes an introduction to programing language and one thing I had to learn was to convert numbers from decimal our normal metric system to binary code, to octal, to hexadecimal. and they are all a way of keeping track but they do not convert evenly at all base 10 base 2,8, and 16.

Terrific! I'm a hobbyist programmer as well. Yeah, we use a base 10 system today, the Babylonians used base 60, and the Hebrews apparently used a kind of base 10 system with other characters for 10s and 100s.

So what if possibly some scribe somewhere along the way just didn't convert his numbers correctly, when he was translating these fables.

Dunno. For sure, there were previous characters and actual kings who were attributed or had attributed to themselves very long lives. There certainly are entire doctrines built around scribal errors.

My contention is that to attempt to calculate "the real lifetimes" from those listed in Genesis is to mistake these characters for historical people. That goes for dividing them by 10 or 12 as well. Human beings are not 6000 years old or borne of a golem spell, and Genesis is myth rather than history.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

No, that is what a literalist does.

No that's what a rational person does.

you have a metaphor for all of mankind

If Adam's a metaphor how do you know that the numbers associated with him are literal, metaphorical or just made up by some person 2,000 years ago and repeatedly changed in later translations?

which is interesting happenstance relating to a few weird things and nothing more.

Right ok.

So this is just playing with numbers.

No problem - whatever keeps you entertained.

• schnell
    schnell
    No that's what a rational person does.

I'm not so sure a rational person would believe someone lived for 930 years.

If Adam's a metaphor how do you know that the numbers associated with him are literal, metaphorical or just made up by some person 2,000 years ago and repeatedly changed in later translations?

It is made up. I'm not sure you quite get it, that is part of my point.

So this is just playing with numbers.

*golf clap*

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

1+1 =2....."generation" is two "overlapping generations.....does not compute...error.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Interesting Thread Schnell !

I think it is fairly obvious that other numbers are used, if not for numerology type divination, then for convenience.

I am thinking of the 40 years, and 400 years etc.

Religions like the JW's who like to take the Bible literally as both History and Truth are in real trouble when these things are scrutinised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit