Genesis Lifetimes and Numerology

by schnell 32 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy
    smiddy

This fascination with numbers in the Bible is not exclusive to Jehovahs Witnesses and I think just empathises how supersticious most believers in religion are.including JW`s.

The numbers 6, 7 ,10 ,12 ,40 ,666 , 12,000 ,144,000 and combinations of those numbers all figure prominently in scripture from the first book of the Bible to the last book of the Bible.

And what happened to the 7,000 years for a creative day that was JW doctrine in the 60`s-80`s ?

But its just supersticious nonsense that doesnt mean twat

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Can I have what you're smoking?

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Why?

Why even think that there is something in 'numbers' in the Bible?

Just...why?

• schnell
    schnell
    Why even think that there is something in 'numbers' in the Bible?

Easy. The Bible is not history. It's myth. That it isn't literal history is perfectly spelled out by critically reading it as literal history. So we're free to compare other mythologies and symbols and see what happens, but those comparisons are also myth. They mean nothing more than what you attribute to them. As smiddy said, these numbers go on throughout the entirety of the Bible, and I will add that Revelation is a straight up Qabbalist text. *shrug*

And what happened to the 7,000 years for a creative day that was JW doctrine in the 60`s-80`s ?

I'd like to say that science happened, but it's just as likely that they moved onto other things and just kind of forgot.

Can I have what you're smoking?

Never have, but smoke if ya got em. :)

• zeb
    zeb

so.. how much is petrol then..?

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

They mean nothing more than what you attribute to them.

With over 7 billion people on the Earth that means you could have over 7 billion viewpoints.

I simply can't seen the attraction. Imagine people intrepreting the craters on the moon. Endlessly debating about different crater's widths and shapes, and coming up with different interpretations of what they mean.

Wouldn't you be - WTF?

That's me with numerology.

Just...WTF.

• schnell
    schnell
    I simply can't seen the attraction. Imagine people intrepreting the craters on the moon. Endlessly debating about different crater's widths and shapes, and coming up with different interpretations of what they mean.

Here's the relevant difference between this and that: I can absolutely show a relationship between old occult stuff and the scripture that people cling to under the impression that it is saccharine, divine, and literally true. (Ezekiel 1, for starters.)

I can't show a relationship between the Bible and moon crater divination. *shrugs*

• Ding
    Ding

I hope this thread isn't going to start discussing Pyramid measurements...

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I can absolutely show a relationship between old occult stuff and the scripture that people cling to under the impression that it is saccharine, divine, and literally true. (Ezekiel 1, for starters.)

Go for it.

But undeniable evidence please. No interpretations.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One thing the Torah does prove is that the ancients used their imagination to create mystical conceptual ideas about how the supernatural deities were involved in creating the physical world and their controlling effects they had toward the observable happenings as well toward humanity.

They even fabricated numbers to created relevance to those supposedly directly engaged to those deities. There is no archeological evidence that shows that people lived any longer than what people live today.

For example the Egyptians didn't live any longer at the specific time the Torah was written for that civilization was in operating existence.

Also to be noted is that the ancients were not known to log people's birthdays as in the typical practice today with the exception of kings or select gods the ancients worshiped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit