Senior Sex

by patio34 29 Replies latest social relationships

• patio34
    patio34

I thought the following from from Our Posthuman Future by Francis Fukuyama was very interesting:

"One writer states: 'One of the factors inhibiting sexuality with ageing is undoubtedly the brain-washing that all of us experience which says that the older person is less sexually attractive.' Would that sexuality were only a matter of brainwashing! Unfortunately, there are good Darwinian reasons that sexual attractiveness is linked to youth, particularly in women. Evolution has created sexual desire for the purpose of fostering reproduction, and there are few selective pressures for humans to develop sexual attraction to partners past their prime reproductive years."

I myself have wondered why (and actually posited the same reason) about this sort of thing.

So, what do you middle age folks think about that? Or any of you.

Pat

P. S. Happy Darwin Day for any atheists/evolutionists out there! http://www.darwinday.org/

Edited by - patio34 on 12 February 2003 15:22:21

• LB
    LB

If sex was just for having children then why does it feel so darn good?

Seniors get all their bodies will allow.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

OK, what age do you consider one to be a senior? Does it include false teeth?

Guest 77

• Seven
    Seven

Geez, I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be the latest episode of Patio and the Coffee Dude.

...brain-washing...the older person is less sexually attractive

Not being a senior citizen for years down the road, I can only go by observation. Most seniors I know still bang each other like screen doors in a hurricane. Don't be brain-washed into thinking pleasure has an age limit. Don't buy into it. Go forth and be horny.

seven

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

LMAO @ LB - so true

Patio, don't you think that the percentage of people who have /don't have sex is proportionate, regardless of their age? Of course, we must take jw's out of the equation; they never have sex, unless they're unmarried PO's kids.

I wouldn't know a thing about middle aged sex. I'm barely past 29.3.141592...

• patio34
    patio34

Lol all!

LB, it doesn't seems as if it's talking about couples having sex, but more about individuals and whom they're attracted to (i.e., attracting sexual attention (younger folks do, advertising using young people almost exclusively in a sexually attractive way). For instance, many unmarried older men prefer to link up with younger (reproductive age) gals, rather than women of their own age group. It's not that it isn't pleasureable to any age group, but the attraction is more towards younger folks, unless it's a committed couple.

Guest77, "senior" wasn't the exact term because it would apply to folks that aren't able (read menopausal women esp.) to reproduce.

LOL Seven! Actually the coffee dude and I are probably going to be no more than occasional friends, it was decided.

Hi LauraLisa, actually I think that younger people (especially males) probably always are more sexually active on the whole than older people. It's a hormonal thing.

Cheers all! It's pouring down rain here!

Pat

Edited by - patio34 on 12 February 2003 16:24:51

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    If sex was just for having children then why does it feel so darn good?

If sex DIDN'T feel so good, there would be NO children.

Andee

"Childbirth hurts like hell" class

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I went back and read that quote. This hit me between the eyes...

few selective pressures for humans to develop sexual attraction to partners past their prime reproductive years."

Ouch! I suppose that be me.

I'm going to get risque here...but there's an easy way for us old gals to get beyond that one: Develop expert oral technique.

It BLOWS that whole theory right UP.

Andee

Edited by - BeautifulGarbage on 12 February 2003 17:20:41

• Scully
    Scully

Interesting that the subject would be covered by someone named Francis Fukuyama

Love, Scully

• patio34
    patio34

Hi BG! I was just wondering the other day where you'd gone! LOL about childbirth! I agree. There would be NO kids if women didn't give in to sex and they wouldn't if it weren't so appealing, considering what was usually the case in every age but ours.

I did read that the reason humans go thru so much pain having children is that they have such large infants. Bears have little tiny cubs, and so do other animals often.

Ah, nature certainly does wear blinders it seems. Another quote from the same source on human nature:

"According to nature you want to live? O you noble Stoics, what deceptive words these are! Imagine a being like nature, wasteful beyond measure, indifferent beyond measure, without purposes and consideration, without mercy and justice, fertile and desolate and uncertain at the same time; imagine indifference itself as a power--how could you live according to this indifference?"

Meanwhile, it continues to rain and rain. You know what really gets me? I came in to work completely soaked (as I walk to work) and these cheery people saying "Oh! I just LOVE the rain!" Of course, they had no way of knowing how cold and wet I was. Of course, only an idiot would have walked to work with out proper covering for their legs so I didn't say much

Cheers!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit