Money and Happiness

by berrygerry 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Money can't buy happiness but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I can personally attest to the fact that having a sufficient amount of money to pay for the necessities of life can be the difference between happiness and misery. Unless the WT meant the difference between being a millionaire versus a billionaire, they are totally full of shit.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Ecclesiastes 10:19-- A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.

• stillin
    stillin

I would rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

As my father used to say "what good is happiness, it can't buy money."

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Maybe money can't buy happiness. But it buys a bunch of stuff that I need more than being happy.

• Simon
    Simon

There are lots of dubious quotes about money, often by people with lots of it.

Studies have shown that money does bring "happiness" as in lack of worry / concern / stres and freedom to engage in various pursuits. But only up to a point. Beyond the level of being comfortable, money itself doesn't bring happiness although it does mean you can do things that do. It could be helping others, running a business or whatever.

Money on it's own doesn't bring happiness but one thing is often true - not having enough can make you unhappy. Money worries are often a leading cause of family issues.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

As Homo sapiens we have been naturally selected as people who can cope with grinding hard work, lack of sleep, the ability to channel adrenaline into survival etc. If we then become rich and have lots of leisure time it can affect our happiness level because we are the survivors, the ones who struggled to be here, the ones who made it. As a species we're not biologically cut out for sitting around a pool all day.

I think this is what Getty and other rich people mean, but then there's plenty to be done if you are awash with cash. Plenty of need in this world if they get bored by that pool.

• punkofnice
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Money can't buy happiness--true. But it sure as hell can buy a lavish new headquarters in upstate New York!

just saying!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit