Evolution or Creation??

by dottie 172 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rem
    rem

Chap,

Ok, now we are officially moving from a discussion about evolution to one about the beginnings of the Cosmos, or Cosmology.

Supposing there is not an always existing agent in which contains all physical laws.

Ok, for the sake of argument I will suppose this. Just so we are clear, there is no reason to believe that physical laws have not always existed in some form or another.

One day something appears from nothing. How did physical laws come into being?

Something appearing from nothing is not quite as absurd as it sounds. Uncaused events - even spontaneously appearing 'virtual particles' within a vacuum are quite common on the quantum level. One interesting thing, though, is that we've never observed an intelligent being directly coming from nothing. This brings the question back to the 'first cause' - which you might call god. If you believe in god, how did this infinitely complex and intelligent being come from nothing? Or did it evolve from 'virtual particles'? If so, then why is this intelligent being even necessary to explain life since we are much less complex?

rem

• crownboy
    crownboy

Very valid critique, rem.

All these first cause cosmological arguments can never deductively prove god's existence, they can only be mildly inductive at best. And of course the "who created god?" question never gets answered. It's impossible for him to have been eternal or exist for an actual infinity, otherwise he could never have gotten around to creating us (think of it this way: God's existence prior to man is the set of all numbers prior to zero, such as -1, -2, etc. To be able to have created us at point "zero", god would have had to "counted down" eternally from every negative number to get to "zero", or the point at which we are created. Now attempt to count down from the most negative number down to zero. It's an impossible task, and simply could not have happened.). God would have needed to start his existence at a fixed point, but then of course he would have to have his "beginning" explained. For those who say that god is simply "all of time", but yet somehow manages to interact in certain parts in time at the same time he is being all of time must invoke some kind of "god is beyond understanding" explanation to explain this absurdity (not even mentioning the fact that being in "all of time" at the same time is a zany concept to begin with).

• Chap
    Chap

Rem:

I started a new topic called "Prove It!" The link is in my next to last post in this thread. (5 or 6 posts back) I basically assert the same thing crownboy ridicules here. My point is that a first cause would violate physical laws unless the first cause always existed (always exists) and contains all physical laws. The supposition that an always existing God is powerless to do anything by the mere fact that he always exists is an interesting concept though. I wouldn't argue it with God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit