God//Jesus and Quantum Uncertainty

by SYN 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SYN
    SYN

Well of course, Schrodinger's Cat Box is a simple minded analogy for something a lot more complicated.

NeonMadman: I know that according to the Bible, God is not quantifiable. That's why I said to put JESUS into the box - he was certainly quantifiable!

D Wiltshire: Yep. The Cat Box was just a useful analogy, is all. Any relation to quantum physics came about purely because of the cut 'n paste nature of this post!

Seedy: Good idea. The only question remaining is, how long will it be before we have to place their replacements in another cat box?

Ed: That also occurred to me. But the basic precept of the analogy still holds, regardless...

This brings me to an interesting point. If you did place God inside the box, there would be an equal chance of him existing and not existing! Fascinating! This analogy has come back to bite Yours Truly in the metaphorical ass!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    I didn't say that nothing about God could be comprehended.

Ah, so you didn't mean to say God could not be comprehended (which is what you said), you meant to say that not everything about God could be comprehended.

BIG difference.

That He is beyond comprehension simply means that there are things about Him that cannot be comprehended by humans.

How do you know this if you can't comprehend them? It's like saying a drawing of a square on a sheet of paper could understand what it couldn't comprehend about a basketball. And where is this list? You sound pretty sure about what is and what isn't comprehendable, so what book of the BIble is this in, or is this speculation on your/others part?

There are certainly other things about Him that can be comprehended. For example, we do not need to be able to comprehend how God could have existed for eternity in the past (in other words, without beginning), in order to comprehend that God is all-powerful. The latter is a concept we can wrap our minds around, the former is not.

Don't you feel you're falling victim to the old ineffable routine? To subscribe anything inexplicable, illogical, contradictory, or equivalently inconvenient to being beyond human comprehension? It's convenient, because if god didn't exist, then you would have exactly the same situation; the inexplicable would still be inexplicable BECAUSE it was a fantasy, rather than because it was ineffable.

As opposed to the gods of cultists, about whom pretty much everything can be explained and understood, at least within the parameters of cult doctrine.

Wrong. Or at least, your definition has nothing to do with the one normally accepted for differentiating cults from religions. That differentiation is normally made in terms of a certain belief conforming to the characteristics of a high-control group. You can have your own definition if you want, but playing games with semantics is non-productive, and means you can set your own standards of right or wrong in a discussion, rather than conforming to standard term. It's a bit like argueing that you weren't an hour late for work because you've decided an hour is 120 minutes long.

The gods of cultists and the gods of other religious beliefs have a lot in common. Lack of proof. Again, convenient. If a scientist tried to make you believe in the polar nature of water molecules, based on what was said in a book written by someone years ago, and could not prove this by experiment, you would probably deride the belief.

How come if it's a theist trying to make you believe in the nature of god, based on what was said in a book written by someone years ago, and they not prove this by experiment, you accept it?

Play fair.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I say we all get iron charioits and do what we want, cause god can't touch em

Seedy

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Ah, so you didn't mean to say God could not be comprehended (which is what you said), you meant to say that not everything about God could be comprehended.

Okaaaay...yeah, I guess you're right. That is what I meant. My semantic error...

How do you know this if you can't comprehend them? It's like saying a drawing of a square on a sheet of paper could understand what it couldn't comprehend about a basketball. And where is this list? You sound pretty sure about what is and what isn't comprehendable, so what book of the BIble is this in, or is this speculation on your/others part?

You're trying to pin down matters of faith to scientific analysis. Can't be done. A person can see a mountain in front of him, yet not know the exact minerals of which the mountain is composed. And if he does know what the minerals are, he may not understand the complexities of molecular structure in those minerals. And if he does understand that molecular structure, he may not know the quantum implications within the atoms that make up those molecules. And...

There are different levels of understanding. Some people might only understand that the mountain exists. Others might be able to take a good shot at defining the quantum characteristics of the subatomic particles that make up the molecules that make up the minerals that make up the mountain. There could be other characteristics about the mountain that would elude even this latter individual. But the fact that no one could explain everything about the mountain would not change the fact that the mountain exists.

My point was, simply, that there are aspects of God that are beyond the comprehension of any human. Some people might understand little more than that God exists. Some individuals - foolish ones, in my opinion - might actually deny dogmatically that God exists, speaking as they do from their lofty position as earthly humans, which clearly qualifies them to know everything about the universe. Some might come to know God quite personally and intimately, albeit subjectively. Others might become repositories of theological information. All of these people know of God - even the ones who deny His existence are aware of Him (though they may consider Him a concept rather than a reality). But none of them can understand everything about Him fully. Our finite minds cannot fully grasp the infinite.

Don't you feel you're falling victim to the old ineffable routine? To subscribe anything inexplicable, illogical, contradictory, or equivalently inconvenient to being beyond human comprehension?

Has the "old ineffable routine," as you call it, been disproven? Are you really pompous enough to believe that there is nothing that is beyond human comprehension?

your definition has nothing to do with the one normally accepted for differentiating cults from religions

That's because I didn't offer it as a definition. I was merely making an observation about the fact that cultists feel the need to "have all the answers". Really, it was slightly off-topic, based on SYN's question about 'putting God in a box'. That's a phrase I've used many times to describe the way the cults teach about God. They have answers for everything. They resolve all the great theological debates with a stroke of the pen.

At the risk of escalating this discussion, I'll give an example. The Bible teaches us that God is omniscient, all-knowing. We are told that He knows "the end from the beginning". Logically, that must mean that He knows whether each of us, as individuals, will ultimately be saved or lost. However, we are also told that we have free will whether to have a relationship with God or not, and thus our salvation (or lack thereof) rests in our own decision. How can this be? Theologians have debated this for centuries. They call it an "antinomy," or seeming contradiction, of the Christian faith. There are differing schools of thought on the subject within Christianity, even within denominations. But most Christians simply accept on faith that both are true. God does know all things, and we do have free will.

Jehovah's Witnesses, on the other hand, resolve this difficult topic easily. They simply state that God does not know all things. They say that He can know whatever he wants, but chooses not to know some things, such as the ultimate destiny of individuals. It's a simple answer, but unfortunately not one in harmony with the Bible, which tells us, not that God can know all things, but that He does. There are other problems with the doctrine from the standpoint that it leads to numerous other unreasonable conclusions, and these have been expressed by Dwayne Magnani of Witness, Inc. in a book and tape, both called The Heavenly Weatherman. I'm not going to go into detail about that here; the book and tape can be ordered at http://www.witnessinc.com/index.html if you're interested.

Cults tend to be that way. There can't be any mysteries, anything beyond their understanding. They have to have all the answers, and will twist doctrine in whatever way they need to in order to have them. It doesn't matter whether the answers are right or wrong, scriptural or not. That was really the only point I was trying to make in my original comment.

If a scientist tried to make you believe in the polar nature of water molecules, based on what was said in a book written by someone years ago, and could not prove this by experiment, you would probably deride the belief.

Have you done or observed such an experiment personally, or do you take it on faith from what you have read or been taught? How much of what you consider "knowledge" have you gained through personal experience, and how much is taken on faith? The vast majority of what we "know" is taken on faith, from what our parents taught us, from what we learned in school, form what we have read, etc. If your knowledge were limited to what you personally had experienced, you would have little of it indeed.

The Christian's relationship with God is based on faith, as well. You want evidence? There's a whole universe around you that came from somewhere. Sure, you can argue that the existence of the universe doesn't prove the existence of the Christian God. But it implies something as a First Cause. Christians claim to know, through personal - and, yes, subjective - experience with God, what that Cause is. Science simply doesn't know, doesn't even have a plausible theory. Yet many scientists will dogmatically deny the possibility of God's existence because they can't put Him in a box and experiment on Him. How absurd! I'm reminded of the Soviet cosmonaut decades ago who said that there couldn't be a God because he didn't see Him while he was in space. As if he had conquered the universe because he flew around the earth once!

Play fair.

I try to. But I certainly don't limit myself by believing that all knowledge of the universe is available to us puny humans living on a dust speck in the spiral arm of a rather ordinary galaxy. And faith and subjective experience do, I believe, have their place in the discovery of reality.

• SYN
    SYN

Hi guys, excellent comments, this site is really cooking today. It's nice to have some really meaty discussion going on here again

NeonMadman:

Yet many scientists will dogmatically deny the possibility of God's existence because they can't put Him in a box and experiment on Him.

That's an interesting statement. I believe most scientists are still trying to figure out whether he exists, and not trying to put him in a box!

Have you done or observed such an experiment personally, or do you take it on faith from what you have read or been taught? How much of what you consider "knowledge" have you gained through personal experience, and how much is taken on faith? The vast majority of what we "know" is taken on faith, from what our parents taught us, from what we learned in school, form what we have read, etc. If your knowledge were limited to what you personally had experienced, you would have little of it indeed.

This is true. But there is something you've omitted in your explanation of why we shouldn't trust the sciences, and that is the very simple fact that anyone here, you or I, could go back and duplicate the research and get the same results. This, at the very simplest, is why you cannot prove that God exists any more than you can prove that pink unicorns exist. There is simply no reproducible evidence for the existence of God.

Thanks for your comments, they were very interesting to read. I must say, you're a damn good arguer

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    But there is something you've omitted in your explanation of why we shouldn't trust the sciences

You misunderstand me. I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't trust the sciences. Science is a very useful discipline, and is applicable to many things, even, in some ways, the study of religion. What science is not useful for, is determining the existence or non-existence of God, and answering a number of other metaphysical questions. Where the problem comes in for me is with those who would assert that, because we cannot verify God experimentally or empirically, he he does not exist. That position implies that there is no knowledge that cannot be obtained by scientific means (or, to put it another way, that any information obtained by means other than science is not knowledge). With that position, I disagree strongly.

anyone here, you or I, could go back and duplicate the research and get the same results. This, at the very simplest, is why you cannot prove that God exists any more than you can prove that pink unicorns exist. There is simply no reproducible evidence for the existence of God

I never claimed that I (or anyone) could prove deductively that God exists. I think a strong inductive case can be made for God's existence. At the bottom line, however, it's a matter of faith. But I would be quick to point out that anyone who makes a positive assertion that God does not exist is also making a statement that is based upon faith.

Thanks for your comments, they were very interesting to read. I must say, you're a damn good arguer
    Thanks. You're pretty good yourself.
  • D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Ed,

I never really seen a explanaton of the cat, I liked yours.

Never mind that the cat is there to observe, and the equipment reacting to the particle is there to observe.

I think in the cat experiment radioactivity is not the thing to be observed(metaphorically), but rather the cat being dead or alive is.(corresponding to the duality of electrons and photons depending on observation).

As to God being comprehensable. I think someday he will be comprehensable. The Bible's teaching that man is supposed to be made in God's image leads me conclude that someday this will be possible.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If something cannot be measured, then it effectively does not exist. This is because something that cannot be measured cannot influence or affect us. Therefore the question of its existence becomes moot.

If a deity is actively influencing humanity or the matter and energy within the universe, then there should be a way to measure this influence, and therefore the deity.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

If something cannot be measured, then it effectively does not exist. This is because something that cannot be measured cannot influence or affect us. Therefore the question of its existence becomes moot.

Assuming, of course, that science is the be-all and end-all of knowledge, and that nothing can be known apart from it. I think that your remarks above are faith-based statements, as much as any claims made about God. If God works in the spiritual realm, and affects the minds and hearts of believers, there is a spiritual aspect to that which cannot be measured by science, but which definitely exists.

Really, your argument is:

Nothing exists which is not physical in nature
    God does not exist within the physical realm
    Therefore, God does not exist.

I think it can be seen that a reasonable argument can be made that your major premise (the first one) is not true. Even if it is true, it is certainly a faith-based statement, every bit as much as if you had asserted that a spiritual realm did exist.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The Schrodinger's cat experiment is not a metaphor or an analogy. It's a thought experiment that highlights an apparent paradox in quantum physics. According to quantum theory, there are times when a particle can be in a superposition of states, neither one thing nor the other until it is observed in which case it collapses into one of it's possible states. If you set up the experiment so that a subatomic particle either triggers something to break the cyanide container or it doesn't, when the particle is in a superposition of states, it follows that the cat must also be in a superposition of states. It's only when the box is opened that the particle collapses into one state or the other by being observed, and all subsequent events follow from that.

There are questions over whether the cat itself qualifies as an observer, and whether a higher or lower life-form could be substituted. Would a worm count as an observer, for example? Interestingly, it seems that God would not qualify as an observer, as being omniscient, everything that happens would be observed by him and we would never notice the quantum effect. That puts God (if he exists) in a unique position of being able to go inside the box and tell us exactly what's happening when there's nobody looking. Of course, God prefers to keep quiet about such matters....

I hope this helps. Quantum physics makes my brain hurt!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit