Yesterday's a.m. shepherding call

by wheelwithinwheel 21 Replies latest jw friends

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Painting an empty apartment knock at the door

Ron the elder doing not-at-homes.

Comments on: Well how you doing Dave? Been a long time...then....

And so how are you doing spiritually?

Dave: Well I'm pretty much inactive (as Ron well knows)

Ron goes on to talk about his own experience, jussst about getting caught up in materialism, but realizing, jussst in time, how much time his job was taking away from the "Truth".

Dave reassures. Its not materialism, just a combination of a lot of things.

Ron takes a new tack and says brothers are all imperfect but we must remember it's the "Truth".

He must see some reaction to the word "Truth" in Dave's face because, right away, he says, "Don't tell me you're that far gone".

Dave: It depends how you define "Truth" I guess. Take for example the Generation thing. What you thought was true, what I thought was true, what everyone thought was true, what the WT taught was true.... I guess wasnt really true, was it?

Ron: Well you know the verse about the light getting brighter.

Dave: A lot of the friends would have made different decisions if the WT, the GB, and the speakers at the assemblies hadn't been constantly telling everyone it was the end of the generation and what they should be doing with their lives. W e always thought the Catholics were wrong to believe the Pope was infallible because we all knew he wasn't. T he JWs say they know the GB aren't infallible, but they seem to forget that fact. What's printed in the WT is called the "Truth". What is even worse is if you aren't in complete agreement with what is actually just "current GB understanding" you get kicked out. I remember bro. C. at an elder's meeting, joking about a brother who didn't agree on Sodom and Gomorrah. Instead of waiting on Jehovah to enlighten his organisation, the brother decided to run ahead. He got kicked out, when all he had to do was wait for the organisation to catch up. In the end, the organisation came around to this brothers view. The C.O. laughed about the brother foolishly running ahead but when you really think about it, it was the brother that got kicked out who had the "Truth", don't you think?

Ron: Come on Dave, Gods servants are all imperfect and when they make mistakes they admit it.

Dave: Another example is the King of the North and the King of the South. We used tell everyone the King of the North was the U.S.S.R., and the communists were going to invade and conquer, and sometime after that there'd be Peace and Security. Now the U.S.S.R. doesn't even exist. And peace and security...

Ron: The Society corrected that. Now we know its difficult to pinpoint just who the King of the North is. The new book says we have to wait on events to reveal who the King of the North is.

Dave: Oh, well that's good. That's more like it. Maybe the King of the North will be Bush ha-ha. Instead of getting into conjecture when we are imperfect, fallible men we wait and see. Yeah, that makes more sense. I like that. Because those verse-by-verse explanations of every detail used to really get to me.

Ron: Dave, we never did verse by verse...

Dave: Well I mean like for example the Rev. book. When I used to conduct the study, it bothered me to read that this resolution, and this assembly, and this tract, was prefigured by a seal, or a trumpet call or a pebble etc. And when the sister or the brother answered and I'd say like "exactly" or "right on the point". After all, we all knew it was just current understanding and would probably be changed in a year of two, didn't we?

Ron: Yeah, well we got a new Rev. book now Dave.

Dave: You know I'm a third generation Witness and if you went back to the teaching and the publications in the time of my grandparents, I think you'd be shocked. You probably wouldn't believe JW's were ever taught and believed these "Truths".

Ron: I know, J.D. showed me some of Russell's books he has. Some of it was true, but a lot were some pretty strange ideas. But Dave, you know that God has his faithful servant. And we have the "Truth". And we're all part of God's organisation. And with all the world events we know the end is just around the corner. So aren't you thinking of maybe coming back?

Dave: Well Ron. I won't even try to predict the future because I'd probably end up running ahead. Who would have ever guessed 10 years ago that I'd be in the position I'm in today. So I think the best policy is just to wait and see.

Ron: Well I'd like to encourage you to pray and just remember everyone's imperfect. I got to go now. Others are waiting on me.

Dave: Yeah well good to have seen you.

Ron: Yeah, well don't forget to pray now

I look at my watch 10:23. I pick up my brush and think hey, its coffee time at Tim Hortons.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    When I used to conduct the study, it bothered me to read that this resolution, and this assembly, and this tract, was prefigured by a seal, or a trumpet call or a pebble etc. And when the sister or the brother answered and I'd say like "exactly" or "right on the point".

Oh yes, ain't that the truth!

In the Australian Bethel you'd be hard pressed to find an elder who believes that, let alone in the congregations!! They won't say it out loud publicly but they sure do in private amongst themselves.

Edited by - ozziepost on 11 February 2003 9:39:32

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    Ron: Come on Dave, Gods servants are all imperfect and when they make mistakes they admit it.

LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The THIRD time we went through that ^*(^*&%^*& RevelationComingToClimax book....I had the book study in my house. I literally had to leave the room when they started propounding on how EVERY FREAKIN THING in that bible book was about THEM! It was so much like making a condom fit over a bowling ball and then presenting it to you like it was meant to be that way...and with a STRAIGHT FACE they made us read and puke back "The paragraph brings out that......"

puke hurl barf

• SYN
    SYN

A first hand encounter with "DUB LOGIC"! The ultimate oxymoron! Well done, you gave this guy some decent responses, he's probably going to be a very nervous man for the next few decades, and sooner than you know it, he'll be posting here

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hear, hear Ozzie,

... And you can add the Brooklyn Bethel to that list! Not only that, the unspoken but very pervasive attitude among them is that anyone who swallows that stuff whole (i.e. the local dubbies) should have their heads examined!

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

The C.O. laughed about the brother foolishly running ahead but when you really think about it, it was the brother that got kicked out who had the "Truth", don't you think?

That is so sad. Laughing about the " foolish " brother.

Hard to comprehend that mindset. What. Do they all think whatever line they are being fed this week is probably a lot of baloney, but no one has the guts to stand up and say any anything about it. Only the " foolish " ones !

Thanks for sharing that www. I'll bet it was nice to have that unexpected opportunity to share your opinions with Ron.

xjw_b12 of the " foolishly running ahead " class

• benext
    benext

It really is funny how the brothers always fall back on having the "truth" when it's pointed out in minute detail how wrong the org. has been in the past, present and will be in the future.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

The use of the catchphrase 'The Truth', which at this stage has become dulled from overuse, rather reminds me of the actions of the hero who produces a crucifix just as Dracula is about to quench his thirst. The effect of course is that Dracula screams wildly and hides his face, which I am sure any decent 'apostate' should in the face of such profound logic!

HS

• LB
    LB

Referring to the beliefs as the truth was a help in my getting out. Truth never changes, watchtower always does. Light isn't getting brighter since they go back and forth on some issues. Guess the bright light is flickering.

Not too long ago an old friend said he wishes I were still in the truth. I had to jump him a bit and asked him how it could be the truth especially since they've failed in every prophecy attempt. He quoted the company line with how prophets are really teachers. I laughed and said yes my math prophet in highschool was really tough on me but that my science prophet loved me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit