Today I got a review that left me scratching my head - what do you make of it?

by Brock Talon 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I responded to a negative reviewer of my book on Amazon (Fade from the Truth). But I only responded to their thoughts that had really nothing to do with the book and were focused on their opinion on anything against the Watchtower. (The person was clearly a JW.) Ultimately, they pulled the review after some back-and-forth.

I wasn't interested in pulling the review, but was trying to help them see they were not being critical of a book, but were critical of anything that went against their religion. It would be like ignoring anything Sarah Palin wrote in a book and attacking liberals in a review.

But I get the idea that the author should stay above that. Regardless of how it looks to me, it could look like a tit-for-tat thing to others reading the reviews. I think the way I stated it in my above comment was gentle and not likely to be viewed as an attack on a negative review.

• runForever
    runForever

This is key comment of his review: " and deft not the type to fall into a "cult type" group."

So he views himself as not the type to fall into a cult type group as we all did.

He is being honeymooned and doesn't want to see it. The trap doesn't go off UNTIL you are in it.

This is the way it almost always is with these study's and I've seen quite a few. They all say the same thing because they are getting attention and don't want to believe that will go away. They don't realize what will happen to them. I am not saying the individuals who are studying with him are bad people but that doesn't matter. The cult is a machine.

• tiki
    tiki
    Not worth even wasting the time it takes to read it....
  • Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

OnTheWayOut, That was an interesting way of handling things. I suppose we each have our own way as an author. I personally try to resist the urge to comment on my book reviews at all, but I wouldn't say it was wrong to do it. I've just read in a number of places where responding to reviews, especially negative ones, can backfire on an author. By the way, three other people have already answered that review with their own comments and the reviewer didn't respond back to those people, so I doubt my responding would have served any useful purpose.

runForver, Yes. Totally. This person cannot say they were not warned.

tiki, Well, it was worth my time reading it, but probably not yours.

• Mary J Blige
    Mary J Blige

Brock - my mother text on a weekday (big deal) to say "you have to read da book". My reply "what book" was matched by a pixt (even bigger deal) of the cover of your book.

I am sure she will write a review as she is (clearly) thoroughly enjoying your book. :)))

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    By the way, three other people have already answered that review with their own comments

That's probably the best way- let others have their say.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon
    Mary J Blige, Thanks for that. Tell your mother that if she writes a review of my book, it will make my day. For the record, most of the experiences I have regarding my books are positive. So, it's not all bad reviews and people Facebook flaming me and saying they want to kill me. I didn't want to leave that impression. But every once in awhile I like to share with the ex-JW community the craziness I occasionally experience because I think you all will understand it the best and will usually have words of reassurance that I need too. This is so I don't regret publishing my story to the entire world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit