The British, What Do You Reckon?

by Englishman 38 Replies latest jw friends

• lulu
    lulu

It is an established fact that as God is an Englishman, obviously that makes the English the cream of the cream. Subject closed.;)

• Debz
    Debz

I think the BRITS are fabulous, witty, intelligent, funny, friendly, happy, jovial, caring, generous, likeable, knowlegeable, inspiring, relaxed, sensitive, joyful, sensitive, happy souls ............... and this has NOTHING to do with me being born there.....

• Robdar
    Robdar

English people typically look like this:

Irongland, I swear I met that guy on the tube when I was visiting London. He was pissed (drunk) and he called me "ducky". Then he proceeded to slobber all over me. Heh, he even invited me back to his flat to smoke a j. The people that were with me didn't let me live it down for a week. I think that one of them took a picture of me discretely giving them the bird.

Eman,

I love the British. So charming, witty and polite. Even your signs are more polite than ours. "Mind the gap" "Mind the hump" etc. Your traffic signs even say please. Over here, it is do this or that. No please; no thank yous.

Oh, and thank you for being our commrades in arms. We appreciate it.

I miss England. Can't wait to return.

Love,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 11 February 2003 3:35:51

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Pierce Brosnan is Irish.

Brits can't spell simple words like humor, color or center. They use weird units like kilograms and litres, instead of falling into line with pounds, gallons and bushels like the rest of the world (ie. the US).

We know from US "comedy" shows that Brits have two accents - "I was born with a silver spoon up my arse, so I am talking like a strange cousin of the royal family" or "Eeee bah gum, I am Daphne in Frasier from oop north".

Actually, make that three - "Dick van Dyke authentic cockerneee".

And the pinnacle of British comedy is Benny Hill. Apparently.

Remind me not to post when I have just woken up, without the benefit of two mugs of tea and a big bowl of Crunchy Nut Red. Right, I am off to kick the cat.

• Auntie Flame
    Auntie Flame

I love you Brits, Scotts, Welsh, Irish, Celts, etc....

The only thing that makes me sad is when I encounter a young one from GB or the like, or actually from anywhere...and they are full of bitter tripe about Americans..or anyone for that matter.....I guess I just don't really "cotton to" racism or prejudice of any kind....especially since everyone pulls their pants on one leg at a time on this planet...heheheh

Auntie Flame

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Hmmmmmmm

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=46276&site=3

Oh, yeah, and I forgot all Brits have teeth like the late Queen Mum, we gargle treacle to get the look.

Edited by - Fe2O3Girl on 11 February 2003 8:25:3

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I love English people so much I married one. I feel more at home in England than I do in my own country (US).

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

PROS: History (you guys had some really entertaining kings and queens, and very innovative ways of disposing of them, i.e., Edward II and the hot poker up the bum - ouch); beer and related beverages; bangers (mmmmmmm); the ability to stop down, relax and have a cup of tea and STILL get everything done that needs to be done; Marks & Spencers; Harrod's Food Court; Harrod's stuffed bears (I had to put that in, for Jennie's sake); Thornton's chocolates; the glorious green countryside; cold rainy days; the Underground; the museums; the castles; the accents; Aspro (wish I had some right now); tiny country roads with vine-covered stone walls on either side; Monty Python.

CONS: Cold rainy days; socialized medicine; lack of central heating; lack of air conditioning; those *&(^&% two faucets (yes, I'm a spoiled American who likes to have hot and cold intermingling in ONE faucet); the accents (say what?); the inability of pub employees to put more than one ice cube in a drink; roundabouts (I don't understand the rules of those things, if there are any); tiny country roads with vine-covered stone walls on either side, which make going around a corner a heart-stopping experience; Benny Hill (yeah, I know he's beloved by many, but NOT by me and that unfortunately goes for the Carry On Gang as well -- I'll take Monty Python over them any day).

Be that as it may, I would move over there in an instant, provided I had a house with central air & heat, one faucet sinks, and enough money so I could pick my own doctors. Love all of you Limeys!

Nina

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Be that as it may, I would move over there in an instant, provided I had a house with central air & heat, one faucet sinks, and enough money so I could pick my own doctors. Love all of you Limeys!

Weeell.. I have central heating, I certainly have no need of air conditioning more than 10 days a year, I have a one-tap (faucet!) shower, 2 - tap sinks in all the bedrooms and my doctor is my son's girlfriends father and costs me absolutely nothing!

Englishman.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

OK, it's the Brits turn. Here we go!

My impression? Well, I've been to the U.K. a couple of times. It's definitely different than Canada, but I knew that it would be.

I have mixed feelings, but I have run into some pretty cool Brits who are a blast to be around, and have been exceptionally kind to me. I found the further north I went in England, the people seemed more friendlier.

I LOVED/ADORED Scotland.

I have seen the whiney-assed ones who have arrived on this side of the Atlantic (not all, but I have to admit, they seemed to complain the most) who constantly compared the U.K. to here which drove us mad.

The queen thing, monarchy, annoys the piss outta me - as we have her as head of state here which is ridiculous. Wishing for a Canadian as head of state, appointed by us - but that is another topic all together.

But.....

...some of the best Ales in the world are brewed there. Some spectacular scenery; incredible history; valuable inventions; life saving medicine; the sciences and many GREAT MINDS have come from Great Britain. Cannot deny you folks that, ever.

What would we do without you?

Perish the thought.

PS: how come, or where does that 'R' after some words come from with some British speakers, for example: CANADA - and some will say it like: Canad-ER . Is it regional? Just curious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit