Okay, Someone "Enlighten" Me... Pleas...

by AGuest 49 Replies latest jw friends

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

Oh it's not about oil! If it was about oil, we'd be getting it from Venezuela! Or we would've taken it after the Gulf War!

peace,

Devil's Advocate

:-p

• seven006
    seven006

Back,

Your right, it's all about those rugs they make, we need those rugs.

We get oil from where ever we can buy it. Do you really think we would give a rats ass about the middle east if it wasn't for their oil? It's always been about oil and the billions of dollars the USA has put into the equipment to get that oil out of the ground and into our vehicles. The middle eastern countries own the land but it is western countries, mainly the USA, that own and built the plants to get the oil. There isn't a piece of plastic in your home that wasn't made from oil. Look around your house and count how many things you have that have plastic in or on them. Sitting at my computer writing this I can see, my keyboard, mouse, computer shell, speakers, CD's pens, phone, carpet, DVD box, DVD, printer, Wacom tablet, etc, etc, etc.

We have not yet put the billions of dollars in South America to develop the oil processing structure that we have put into the middle east. Do you think the Arab countries had the ability to build and install all the oil producing equipment on their own? They didn't even build the desalination plants that convert sea water into fresh water that they so desperately need, we did that for them. Do you think we did that because we are such nice guys? Wake up and smell the gas fumes. We need their oil and they need our technology. They are holding the oil for ransom and we are giving them a little technology that goes boom in return.

The Gulf war was a warning and show of power. It was stupid not to put Saddam out of power but there was more to consider than just that. Politics came into play and we didn't finish the job. Economic sanctions did not work so Saddam stayed in power. We didn't need every Muslim country in the world screaming at us for some kind of crusade against their religion so we stopped short of getting Saddam out and turning Iraq into a puppet country of the USA. We do not want to run Muslim countries by creating a holy war, we just want their oil.

Dave

• seven006
    seven006

Here, click on this link or type in the words "oil producing countries" or OPEC into any search engine to read what is being said and then come back and tell me it isn't about oil.
    http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0410-10.htm

• teejay
    teejay

"One power, with a president who has no foresight, who cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust." -- Nelson Mandela on Pres. Bush's plans for war with Iraq

• sf
    sf

"Your right, it's all about those rugs they make, we need those rugs."

ROFLOL (cleaning up spit coffee)

sKally

• Englishman
    Englishman

Dave,

I think that you are correct in your assumption.

Come to think of it, how would I be able to continue my little PVCu window replacement business if oil became in short supply and therefore prevented their manufacture?

Come on you Brits, lets not wait for the Yanks, invade now!!!

Englishman.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Ok, enough already. Here are the items to consider...

1. Hussein is in voilation of UN resolution 1441 which gave Iraq one last chance to PROVE that they've detroyed their weapons of mass destruction.

2. There is proof that not only have they not done this but they are pursuing more weapon programs. From detailed satellite photos to intercepted calls, it is known that Iraq continues to these "build and hide" programs. No one except Hussein denies this evidence.

3. Iraq has not given any evidence that thei WMD have been destroyed. Hussein simply says "the WMD were destroyed along with the records." Do you believe him? He has never accounted for the large quanities of nerve agents, viruses and poison gas that he is known to have. Again, no proof has been given showing that these items have been destroyed.

4. Hussein has been and is testing long-range and short-range missles as well as unmanned aircraft to deliver these "non-existent" weapons.

5. Hussein has been linked to terror groups. While the evidence on this alligations isn't overwhelming, it still exists. He has funneled money to differnt terrorists groups. He has set up terrorist camps in Iraq. The recent killing of the US aid worker in Jordan was linked to an Al Qaeda cell based in Iraq. Again, while a little bit murky, these terrorist ties exist. It scares me to death the possibility of a terrorist group having acces to WMD.

There you go.

Edited by - roybatty on 9 February 2003 12:58:17

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Here in America we have a huge oil resources in Alaska. We do not tap into the majority of it because we do not want to mess up the pristine wilderness. So, we get our oil, just like everyone else from the middle east.

No, we don't tap into the Alaska (and Texas) reserves because it's simply cheaper to buy it from the middle east.

We would not need to be the biggest glutton of oil in the world if the powers to be would allow the those who have invented devices that can increase gas mileage twenty times it's average now to produce their products. It's a little odd that we have the technology to make stealth bombers and a space station floating around our planet but we can't seem to figure out how to make a car that travels on an alternative fuel that will take away our dependency on oil.

"the powers to be" who is that? Oil compaines? Government? Well, these cars DO exist but the PEOPLE like you and me aren't buying these cars. The Honda Insight gets 70 mpg. But how many do you see on the road? A few but not many. Why not? Because people would rather pocket the extra $2,500.00 extra that this car costs and buy a similiar one, even though the mph is far less. Companies will produce what sells. No force on earth can stop this. Ford has in the works a hybred F-150 truck. If it would costs the same as a "standard" engine F-150 and has the same power and doesn't cost more to mantain, it will sell like crazy. But if the hybred engine makes the vehicle cost more and gas prices stay low, people will not buy it. Economics 101.

The same is true will solar power vs. natural gas. Because natural gas is still so cheap, why should I invest the money to solar power my house? There isn't anyone stopping me. It's just a matter of ROI (return on investment).

I do agree that the US's dependency on oil is a HUGE problem. And I believe the government knows this. Back in the '70's when the oil embargo hit us, we were importing only 50%. Now this figure is 65%. Yes, the the US has an interest in seeing the flow of oil continue. However, the war is about the threat to the US, not about oil.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

just for the records, i do believe oil is a contributing factor to this war - i was merely playing the role of devils advocate above.

:-)

• back2dafront
    back2dafront
    The same is true will solar power vs. natural gas. Because natural gas is still so cheap, why should I invest the money to solar power my house? There isn't anyone stopping me. It's just a matter of ROI (return on investment).

why invest in solar power??? See, that's the whole problem with people. The only thing you can see is MONEY. Well, it ain't all about money, it's about the future, for us and for our kids and grandchildren. Ever heard of ozone depletion? Global warming? Carbon emissions? All of these things are real problems, and the solution is stop being so GREEDY and start using alternate resources which are cleaner and better for the earth.

However, the war is about the threat to the US, not about oil.

Nathan Strait
    McKinneys comment about increased profit margins for friends of the Bush administration also has been backed up. A two-part series in the Hong Kong-based Asia Times in January noted that the United States is developing a network of multiple Caspian pipelines, and that people close to the Bush administration stand to benefit. The law firm Baker & Botts represents the pipeline consortium set to build the proposed Baku-Ceyhan pipeline that would link Azerbaijan to Turkey via Georgia. The firms principle attorney is James Baker, former secretary of state and chief spokesman for the Bush campaign during the Florida vote controversy.

And none other than the disgraced Enron Corp.once one of Bushs biggest financial backersconducted a feasibility study for the $2.5 billion Trans-Caspian pipeline being built under a joint venture between Turkmenistan, Bechtel and General Electric. Enron, together with Amoco, Chevron, Mobil, Unocal and British Petroleum, were all spending billions of dollars to pump the reserves of Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, the Asia Times reported, adding that Baker, former National Security Adviser Brent Scowcroft, former presidential Chief of Staff John Sununu and Vice President Dick Cheney have all closed major deals directly and indirectly on behalf of the oil companies.

And current National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice served on Chevrons board of directors for nearly 10 years before being scooped up by the Bush administration. Chevron (now Chevron Texaco) is the largest shareholder in the Caspian Pipeline Consortium, the group that completed an oil pipeline from Kazakhstan to the Black Sea port of Novorossiysk, Russia, and is planning more pipelines in the region.

It certainly can be argued that the economic benefits for close Bush associates are only indirectly attributable to the war on terrorism. But consider the argument of Uri Averney, a former member of the Israeli Knesset, noted peace activist and keen international observer. If one looks at the map of the big American bases created for the war, Averney wrote in the Israeli newspaper Maariv in February, one is struck by the fact that they are completely identical to the route of the projected oil pipeline to the Indian Ocean.

Deployments of U.S. troops do largely coincide with existing and projected pipeline routes. The United States already has troops in Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Georgia and Afghanistan; Bush reportedly is negotiating to place U.S. forces in Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

TOO MUCH TO DISPUTE MY FRIEND!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit