God's Name?

by seeking_truth 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blackguard
    blackguard

Hi Paduan: In Hebrew "Ani" means "I am" or "I". It does not does not appear in the phrase at Ex 3:14 that you seem to be alluding to. In the Hebrew text it says not Ani Asher Ani( I am that I am), a statement of existence, but "EhYeh Asher Ehyeh", something quite different. A rabbi should be able to accurately translate this phrase into English for you.

And RevMalk: You're free to worship whom or whatever pleases you. For me I worship the same person Christ Jesus worshipped and worships. It is fairly clear in scripture that the object of Jesus adoration and worship has a name. Jesus own name, like others that bore this same name, is a reminder that Yehowah is Chief Savior. All other gods, lords and saviors are subordinate to Yehowah. This is one reason Yehowah is called God of gods.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

In bibles , YHWH is rendered "the Lord" as it is derived from the verb HAYAH - "to be".

Basically translated I AM W HO I A M or I WILL B E W HAT I W ILL B E - the name of God.

How the jws were daft to that, is a miracle of the modern age.

paduan

• blackguard
    blackguard

Hi Paduan, I'm unsure of what you mean, but Yod Hey Waw Hey(YHWH) has not the same meaning as Alef Dalet Nun Yod(ADNY); respectively, Yehowah and Adonai. The haya verb incorporated within God's personal name has a slightly different meaning to the intent of Ex3:14. God seems to be telling Moses that He is capable of adjusting to changing circumstances; He Will Be What He Will Be! I Am That I Am is not merely a statement of self-existence as the translators of the LXX tried to show in the Greek expression Ho Ohn(The Being), but it is both an an erroneous and impossible rendering of the Hebrew as other instances where this phrase ocurrs amply demonstrates. The Hebrew in Ex 3:14 is not making a statement of self-existence as English and Greek translators claim. Neither is Lord a proper translation of Yehowah; one can state that these are words apart.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I realise that Lord is not the translation - the rendering of "the Lord" is because people refrain from the name of God - He who is, who will be what He will be, who is who He is.

• seedy3
    seedy3

LISTEN PEOPLE!!!!! HIS NAME IS HANK AND HE WILL KICK THE S*** OUT OF YOU IF YOU DON'T GET IT RIGHT On the other hand if you get it right he will give youe a million bucks when you leave town. so don't screw it up for the rest of us OK????!!!!!

Seedy

• gumby
    gumby

Actually God stole his name from Popeye...meaning in hebrew...."I ams what I ams.

• JH
    JH

I do call HIM Jehovah in my prayers. there's nothing wrong with that. I rather say Jehovah than YHWH.

• Sherwood
    Sherwood

As someone pointed out earlier in the post, around the 12th century translaters substituted a J for the Y as in latin, and a v for a w, and came up with Jehovah.
    Sangdigger

Where did you hear that?

Note that Jehovah started with an ' i ' in Latin and the ' i ' in Latin had a ' j ' sound. Ever watch "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" where Indiana steps on a ' j ' instead of an ' i ' in an effort to "walk with God."

In time, God's name came back into use. In 1278 it appeared in Latin in the work Pugio fidei (Dagger of Faith), by Raymundus Martini, a Spanish monk. Raymundus Martini used the spelling Yohoua.* Soon after, in 1303, Porchetus de Salvaticis completed a work entitled Victoria Porcheti adversus impios Hebraeos (Porchetus' Victory Against the Ungodly Hebrews). In this he, too, mentioned God's name, spelling it variously Iohouah, Iohoua and Ihouah. Then, in 1518, Petrus Galatinus published a work entitled De arcanis catholicae veritatis (Concerning Secrets of the Universal Truth) in which he spells God's name Iehoua.

The name first appeared in an English Bible in 1530, when William Tyndale published a translation of the first five books of the Bible. In this he included the name of God, usually spelled Iehouah, in several verses,# and in a note in this edition he wrote: "Iehovah is God's name . . . Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah." From this the practice arose of using Jehovah's name in just a few verses and writing "LORD" or "GOD" in most other places where the Tetragrammaton occurs in the Hebrew text.

In 1611 what became the most widely used English translation, the Authorized Version, was published. In this, the name appeared four times in the main text. (Exodus 6:3; Psalm 83:18; Isaiah 12:2; 26:4) "Jah," a poetic abbreviation of the name, appeared in Psalm 68:4. And the name appeared in full in place-names such as "Jehovah-jireh." (Genesis 22:14; Exodus 17:15; Judges 6:24) However, following the example of Tyndale, the translators in most instances substituted "LORD" or "GOD" for God's name. But if God's name could appear in four verses, why could it not appear in all the other thousands of verses that contain it in the original Hebrew?

Source:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/na/article_05.htm

Sherwood

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I think god's name is: TROLL

I like calling the air a name too. Maybe something with 7 syllables. Yeah, that's it.

I wonder what Anton LeVay called god?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit