God's Name?

by seeking_truth 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seeking_truth
    seeking_truth

Another question for everyone. I have read through some of the threads, posts or whatever and even though there is a sense of disagreement over Witnesses and the Society, their way of handling the words of the bible. I was curious to know if anyone does believe Jehovah is His Name?

• TR
    TR

Nope. I ain't believe it. I just ain't believe it.

TR- gomer class

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I can appreciate the logic when people say that God shouldn't have a name, because He is infinite and omnipresent, and to give him a name is to hide his Truth behind a human tool.

However, I myself think that tools are useful, and so I call God Jehovah because that's how I was introduced to him, and I can vouch for the fact that He answers prayers in that name. It's irrelevant to me whether the ANGELS in His presence call Him that name or some other thing. The name is a tool that reinforces the fact that He has a personality, and feelings, and standards, and a listening ear.

Some look down on the name as being that of a desert God, but I say it works for me and my relationship with Him, so why not try it?

CZAR

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Sigh, another one of these threads. I've already proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that God's name is:

Bob

Stop questioning the holy name of Bob with your lesser tribal god Jehovah.

• seeking_truth
    seeking_truth

Bob uh?

I was "introduced" by calling His Name, which is and forever will be Jehovah (I've found in almost every bible) that in one point or more His name is written somewhere in there. So that kind of makes my faith stronger. Are there any Witnesses here or is this a place for ex-witneses?

• Carmel
    Carmel

Maybe 4,000 years ago!

caveman

• justhuman
    justhuman

Well the real pronouncation is Yahwe...in the old Testament He is a violent God...Ordering Israelites to kill even babes in their battles in order to take the promised land...

I DON'T accept the idea of this kind of God...Killing of the innocent people and specially babes, makes me turn away from this kind of God

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hello Seeking-truth,

No they can never take that away from us can they? The name our heavenly Father gave himself was Jehovah or something like that in whatever language we speak. It was the name by which we came to have a relationship with Him. Whether or not he is exclusively using or even in any way using the WTS is a moot point. We know and love our heavenly Father by the name he has given us to use.

yesidid

• yesidid
    yesidid

Hello Seeking-truth,

No they can never take that away from us can they? The name our heavenly Father gave himself was Jehovah or something like that in whatever language we speak. It was the name by which we came to have a relationship with Him. Whether or not he is exclusively using or even in any way using the WTS is a moot point. We know and love our heavenly Father by the name he has given us to use.

yesidid

• Brumm
    Brumm

Knowing Gods name is "Jehovah" doesnt make a person a Christian does it? Even Masons recognise the name "Jehovah" as do some none christian movements.

Plus, since you have read that name in many other Bibles you will see that name existed before the Watchtower existed so they can not claim only they are making that name known. They do not have exclusivity to it and it was used way before they took it on.

In reality the pronounciation "Jehovah" did not exist before the 12 century so it is not the eternal Name of God after all. Try saying "YHWH" and when you feel you have the most correct pronounciation let us know how you determined it was correct...let us know also how JWs can condemn those who dont use their mispronounciation of Gods name...is one mispronounciation better than another?

If you are unsure what to call God, do as Jesus taught and call him father, that denotes intimacy, JWS do not have intimacy with him but they sure do have intamcy with the mispronounciation of his name...sounds futile doesnt it?

Hope this helps.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit