God's Name?

by seeking_truth 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Most people, especially Christians, Jews and Moslems believe in a tiny anthropomorphized person god, which is simply a creation of the carnal mind. You can call him Tinky, if you like. He's a worthless and vile entity at best. I too would agree with the Toa on this one. "The god that can be named is not the True God". You may find the book: A History of God, very interesting and educational. JamesT

• jgnat
    jgnat

I found this website yesterday, on the "corrrect" pronunciation of Jehovah's name. For interested truth seekers:

http://www.yaim.org/Pages/missingJ.htm

• Robdar
    Robdar

JG

I have been on the sites that give the proper pronunciations of God's name. Being a wise guy, I decided to give it a try one day. All I can say is that I felt a prescence that I would rather not bother. It scared the s**t out of me. It has occured to me that maybe Jehovah is busy and all that so why make a nuisance of myself?

Love ya,

Robyn

Edited by - robdar on 8 February 2003 18:12:19

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

I just did some personal research on Gods name for my brother who is loosely attatched to the JW's through my parents. Most of the info. has already been stated, exept for the fact that the Jews would not pronounce the divine name because of a superstition they had due to a scripture in Exodus 20:7. And then only the high priest could say the name out loud once a year!!

The tetragrammaton is used 6,823 times in the OT. Somewhere between the 6th and 9th centuries, a Jewish religious group known as the Masoretes attatched vowells to the letters YHWH, thus creating Yaweh. As someone pointed out earlier in the post, around the 12th century translaters substituted a J for the Y as in latin, and a v for a w, and came up with Jehovah. In 1602, the spanish bible translation by Cipriano de Valera rendered the tetragrammaton thousands of times in the old testament as "Jehova", and later the King James used the name "Jehovah" just 7 times in the old testament.

Whats even more amazing, is how the WTS makes such a big deal over the importance of using the name Jehovah, (even to the point of critisizing some of praying to a false god if they dont use the name in their prayer.....this has personaly happened to me) and yet in one of thier own books, the "New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures" they recognize that YAWEH is probably more correct than JEHOVAH. They say on Pg. 23 "While inclining to view the pronunciation "Yaweh" as the more correct way, we have retained the form "Jehovah" because of peoples familiarity with it since the 14th century."

I personaly agree with several others on this post. I became familiar with the name Jehovah as a child, and will continue to call on the Almighty by that name. Whether its Yaweh or whatever, he's still my Father, and i thats what i mostly call him. Truth seeker, i hope this helps.

Jim

• AlanF
    AlanF

Harold be his name.

AlanF

• seeking_truth
    seeking_truth

Thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice, greatly needed. I can't say that I have been a Witness all my life because I started to question things once my mother was disfellowshiped, she had a run in with the law which was later dismissed, and I got a first hand look at how she was seperated and treated. That point in my life made me question all things that any man tries to push off as "religious". I believe the bible survived all this time so that everyone could learn through it. Also lettting each person simply read the words and apply it. If a mere imperfect man can stand on a platform and teach it....we can teach ourselves with the same efforts.

An no, can't no one take away something that is real to each of us.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Harold be his name

Alas, another infidel. I keep telling you people his name is FRED. Say it with me now....Fred.

Love,

Robyn

• seeking_truth
    seeking_truth

Oh sorry a special Thanks to you....Robyn...I forgot his name,lol

• anti-absolutism
    anti-absolutism

If you want to get a perverse reaction from a JW, just politely say, "I thought the name Jehovah was simply an English interpretation of the Hebrew name YAHWEH, so to be fair to civilizations before the Jews and Jw's, I just call him 'the big guy'." At least to my family, that was perverse....... lol

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The one who is - as Moses asked, 'how would the jews know' - "tell them 'I am' sent you"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit