How Can You Easily Show That JW's Are Wrong?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi min, You wrote: <It seems that it's very difficult to convince the average Witness that their beliefs are incorrect.>

JWs are very aware that their beliefs are incorrect and they fear critics may be able to prove it. As for seeing how beliefs are incorrect, all they have to do is read any 10 year old Watch Tower Publishing Corporation produced book or magazine, or look at how people are treated in their congregations.

The Corporation owners know they are vulnerable to facts. That is why they call a bearer of facts an opposer, a vocal victim an apostate. The group members are taught not to trust their own thoughts. The member's own strength of a critical thinking ability is seen by them as a weakness and questioning of directions and opinions issued by the Publishing Corporation is feared. The truth is called a lie and the lie is called the truth and the followers of the Corporations need to keep that ball in the air.

What is almost impossible, is not to convince the average Witness that their beliefs are incorrect. What is almost impossible is to defeat their denial that their beliefs are incorrect and to defeat their fear that to question the Publishing Corporation is to be disloyal to God, to defeat their fear that to question the Publishing Corporation will mark them and their minor children to be killed by their God.

It's almost impossible to reason with a delusion. gary

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

raindrops; very good points.... my brother set up a study in the kh library on saturday in a near by town . i've been doing a little studing to be ready ... you and a few others gave me some info on this thread... i know i will be a one shot deal with one chance at them... so i will hit them with they are false witnesses all 6 million when they go door to door .... it they have not read the old wt's till 1919 . at the time they claim jesus choose them.... i will not let them off this subject!!!! plus we will use the bible to show freedom in christ..etc.. it will be hard on them i hope they bring the head elders ... they are not going to like when i start quoting from their library... i'm going with a bag full of info.... and use prov 4:19 he that is in darkness knows not the not the reason why they stumble....john

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

AGuest, excellent presentation! I'm printing it out to use with JW's I chat with on the Internet!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your joking right?..JW`s haven`t been right in 125yrs..That is one sorry track record...OUTLAW

• hooberus
    hooberus

Thanks for the post AGuest

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's incredibly difficult to get a JW to admit that anything is wrong with the Watchtower cult. That's why it's a cult.

JWs virtually worship Watchtower leaders. Worship, one wonders? Yes, worship, because in practice the majority of JWs give more weight to the authority of the Governing Body than they do to God. The Bible tells Christians to make sure of whatever they're taught by comparing it to the Bible itself. The Governing Body tells JWs that they cannot understand the Bible apart from them, and enforces this by censuring any JW who dares to question them publicly, so that JWs are required to make their own understanding of the Bible subservient to that of the GB. Indeed, this threat of censure by disfellowshipping is so effective that most JWs convince themselves that whatever the GB teaches is always identical with their own thinking. Thus a JW can change his mind in seconds, even about a belief he has held for decades, simply by reading a paragraph in a Watchtower magazine. Before the change, he will argue strongly that his beliefs are "Bible based" and that he arrived at them independently of the GB's influence, but will argue the same thing after the change. The level of mind control is simply astounding.

The only effective things I've seen regularly work to influence JWs to really begin to think for themselves is to get them to listen to an emotional story of how a person was abused by the JWs and see that this incident was just a small part of an overall pattern, or to get them to commit to an opinion that contradicts a WTS teaching, but that they're not immediately aware of. This latter would be like the way the prophet Nathan is described as getting King David to see how bad his arranging the killing of Uriah was. Once a JW has expressed that a thing is bad, he or she will have a difficult time denying it, even when it becomes obvious that the bad thing was done by the Society.

Of course, getting a JW to listen to such negative things about her religion takes a great deal of patience. You can never make her feel threatened, or she will instantly clam up and quit talking to you. Of course, a mere presentation of dry facts can threaten a JW, so you have to be circumspect in presenting them. Getting a JW to listen to reason is a real art form.

AlanF

• Mulan
    Mulan

My brother called me about an hour ago, to tell me the 'hovah's had just been to his door. He handled them well.

It was two women, one young who was raised a dub, the other an older former Methodist, not a dub very long.

He brought up 1975, and they both said it was never in print, and just a few people who got excited about it, and it "was never taught in the WT publications, or from the stage". He proceeded to tell them about a red book (it was orange) that had chronology, and pointed to 1975 as being the start of the milennium. They denied its existence. He told them to ask around, and they would be surprised. That made them a little unsettled.

The best thing he did though was take them through a few Bible examples, showing the violence surrounding Bible based religions: Abraham sacrificing Isaac because God told him to (who would do that?); the way the Israelites killed all the people in "The Promised Land", but if they wanted a woman, they could have her if they shaved her head, put ashes on her, dressed her in sackcloth and VOILA` and instant Israelite, and they could have her for their own. They denied that was in the Bible, so he said he could find it in his own Bible, so he got it. (it is an old large American Standard, very well worn..............he was an elder for many years, and has an incredible Bible knowledge). He read it to them, and they compared in their NWT. He said they were visibly shaken. They said they would research it and come back. He said "what possibly could you find, to explain something so terrible?"

Then he said "if you had several children, and all but one of them really messed up, would you, in your wildest dreams, sacrifice the really good one to save the others?" (alluding to the Christ sacrifice) Both said they wouldn't but "Jehovah had a higher purpose, blah blah blah".

They asked if they could come back, and he said they were welcome anytime. I suppose someone will tell them he is a disfellowshipped person, but he had fun.

For what it's worth, AGUEST, they would handle the scriptures you suggest, very easily, and dismiss you.

• minimus
    minimus

The average JW believes that what they are taught is truth, "the truth".The only Witnesses that may not feel that the published words are to be believed are the ones that are about to leave, sooner or later, or perhaps, those that write this crap. The average Witness is brain washed.

• blondie
    blondie

You can more easily successfully 12th step an alcoholic or addict than a JW who is convinced they have "the truth."

Alcoholics or addicts have to hit "their bottom" before they finally accept the facts of their addiction. How many jobs do they have to lose, how many cars do they have to wreck, how many times do they have to wake up in their vomit, before an alcoholic or addict sees they have a big problem they must address before they die of the consequences.

Too many JWs will have to wake up in the "vomit" of their own child's molesting before they believe that JW children are being molested.

There is some reason they love the vomit and stay. They won't be convinced and leave until they are ready.

Blondie (stayed in the vomit too long)

• Swan
    Swan

I don't think it can be easily done. But seeds of doubt can be planted and slowly they will take root. That is what happened to me. My sincere thanks to all of those that planted those seeds.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit