Convention statistic

by dothemath 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

The wife got back from the convention, and mentioned one point from the CO talk.

He gave the statistic that on average, there are about 780 people baptized every day in the world! Everyone was amazed.

I broke it to her that there used to be a lot more. I recall giving a talk and at that time there were around 1200/day. (likely 15 or 20 years ago)

I'm sure it's going to be a downward trend for a long time.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands who are born and die every day, and JWs aren't even making a dent. It's a losing battle, and only those who surrender their critical thinking skills could be impressed by such a number.

• zeb
    zeb

and did the speaker give the age of the people being baptised?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

350,000 Babies will be born today. More food for the scavenging birds I suppose.

What a lovely religion JW Org is !

• steve2
    steve2

The organization loves to announce these kinds of standalone, contextless statistics that cause great excitement among JWs. No reference is made to the fact that in the 1990s, it was common for annual baptisms to well exceed 300,000.

In the West, numbers baptised continue to slide; so at a guess, most occur in non-Western countries, the continent of Africa in particular.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I'd be interested to know how many leave every day, too. If there are 8, 000, 000 JWs and at least on average 1% are disfellowshipped every year, 1% of 8 m is 80,000 รท 365 =219 are DF per day and if you say at least 1% die per year, again that's 219 jws die per day so that alone is a total of 438 who "leave" per DAY (average deaths are actually more like 1.5 %) and THAT doesn't even include those who start to FADE in any given day.

Figures don't look quite so grand when you subtract those figures from the 700 odd baptisms.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

780 people a day out of 8 Billion+ people ? And 8 Million J.W`s.? who lets say average 10 hrs. a month ,that`s 80 Million hours a month witnessing/preaching.

It doesn`t sound like a good investment to me.

And what they don`t say is what % of those baptized are family members and what % are cold converts from the public.

My bet is the majority of those baptized are family members ,children and teens.

• Freedom rocks
    Freedom rocks

Most of those baptised at the assemblies/conventions in the last 10 years I was in were teenagers. It was rare to see someone above 25 being baptised.

I was baptised at 23 and out of 21 of us baptised there was only 1 person older than me and the rest were years younger including a 10yr old. I wonder if that 10yr old who will now be 22/23 Is still in or if they woke up and are now living their life.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Nice breakdown Dio, the more they brag the more you know their going in the opposite direction. Your death rate at 1% and your dfd at 1 then add the number of those that fade away and those that never got baptized as kids but were considered publishers at one time and what do you get? A lot of Kingdom Halls up for sale.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

And out of the relatively few adults getting baptized, most that I've seen had contact with or were influenced by JWs when young, just taking longer to get baptized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit