Updated Report by Yizuman - Part Two

by Yizuman 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Ok I went to the welfare office this morning.

The case worker was a very nice lady, her name is Maria. All smiles and very friendly too.

She knows about the Wal-Mart situation and has gotten alot of employees who have gotten fired for whacked out reasons.

She needs some info from Wal-Mart, but problem is that Wal-Mart tends to screw with the social workers trying to get info from them and she's had been given alot of run arounds from them before. So she told me it would be 2-3 weeks before she gets any info from Wal-Mart before I can get any help from them. Especially food stamps. I will get a WIC card from them that I can use to purchase food with, if I am approved first of course.

No call backs from the Salvation Army (i.e. to my sister) or emails from them yet.

I'm going back to the unemployement office tomorrow to get any updates from them.

Monday there's some special folks from Voc Rehab coming to my local library to assist the disabled and I'm going there to see if they can help me with getting some new hearing aids since mine wore out on me 2 years ago or so.

No new information about finding a place to stay as of yet.

That's all I know for today, going to try and make some emails to other places to see if I can get help.

Later folks!

Yizuman

• Mary
    Mary

"......So she told me it would be 2-3 weeks before she gets any info from Wal-Mart before I can get any help from them. Especially food stamps....."

Bullsh*t!!! Yizuman, phone her back and tell her you need assistance NOW, not 3 weeks from now. You're a tax payer, you're in dire straights and you are entitled to Government benefits. It makes absolutely no damn difference at all what Wal-Mart says, you're applying for Welfare, not Unemployment Insurance. These frigging case workers will jerk you around for weeks or months on end. I think maybe you should go to the newspapers about your plight and see what happens. You need food stamps and you need them NOW! (I always find that if you freak out on them and tell them that you're just gonna keep calling them until they help you, they'll miraculousy give you what you need).

• nita6368
    nita6368

Just a little note....

It will have to be verified that you are no longer working at Walmart and when you received your last paycheck to verify how much money (if any) you have received this month. That is a federal regulation that ALL caseworkers must follow or they will lose their job. Walmart uses a 3rd party source to ver their income ver (The Work Number) The info is usually returned in a week. If the ex employee can get someone from the local Walmart to ver they are no longer working there things can go quicker. I am a caseworker and can verify that most Walmart managers will verify NOTHING to us. You need to understand that we caseworkers due have federal regulations to follow or we lose our jobs. As sad as anyone's situation may seem, I am not going to lose my job or sidestep regulations for anyone. I have a family to support myself.

Another thing, for every honest person that comes in our office needing help, there are 10 who are trying to screw the system. I just had a client tell me they had no income. They verified it with a written statement from their landlord. When I went to Walmart, guess who was stocking shelves. My client!! She had started work at Walmart in March...was laid off for 3 weeks and came in for food stamps. She never reported going back to work and has been drawing stamps since April.Several thousand dollar claim. Thats why we have to verify. There are people out there who lie.

Yizuman,

Is there a food pantry or community needline in your town? That is where we send our clients while they are waiting for there case to be approved. Usually a food stamp application makes you eligible.

Edited by - nita6368 on 6 February 2003 12:59:26

• Mystla
    Mystla

Yizuman,

I've been following your plight for awhile now, and I just want to say that I'm sorry you are going through this. I wish there was something I could do to help. I know how frustrating this kind of situation can be.

Keep your chin up, things will get better! If nothing else, spring will be here soon and it will be warmer! People are usually (in my experience) more cheerful and willing to help in the spring.

You've been making all the right moves, it's only a matter of time before it all comes together for you.

Mystla

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    nita6368 - Is there a food pantry or community needline in your town? That is where we send our clients while they are waiting for there case to be approved. Usually a food stamp application makes you eligible.

Yes I have and will need to go back next week for more food.

I've gotten some from the Trustee's office and the St. Vincent de Paul Center for food.

My primary concern is a place to stay if the judge grants the landlord the eviction.

It's very cold out there.

Yizuman

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Mystla,

Thanks

Yizuman

• nita6368
    nita6368

Yizuman,

Do you have a shelter in your town? I don't live in a big town either but the town next to us is a little bigger and they have several shelters there. You may want to check into that.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I find it difficult to believe this person hasn't planned well in advance where he's going to live since facing a possible eviction.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Update:

Salvation Army emailed me and asked me what's up and I emailed back explaining my situation and she emailed back stating she can provide $300.00 if I can find someone else to come up with $510.00 to get me out of the bad situation that I am in. So I emailed the Trustee's office explaining what the SA had said to me and she told me she needs a statement from the Landlord and also reminded me that when she last spoke with the landlord he refused to work with her.

So I checked to see if the landlord's car was at the driveway in front of his office and he's there, so then I prepared a fax to him telling him what SA is offering plus what the Trustee's office can cover the rest if he can provide a fax statement of what I owe him. Then fired up my fax modem and away it went.

So hopefully he will then prepare the statement that the Trustee's office needs and then Vickey, the lady at the Trustee's office will call the SA office with the number I had provided for her and work out how much money they can put together and get to the landlord.

Now he may just not want to work with me and get rid of me, I don't know what he's got going in his head, but I hope he will be satisfied with the deal if he agrees to it. It's all up to him.

Here's to luck!

Yizuman

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    nita6368 - Do you have a shelter in your town? I don't live in a big town either but the town next to us is a little bigger and they have several shelters there. You may want to check into that.

Yes there are some and I have a list given to me at a Housing Authority apartment which I applied for here in town and problem is the waiting list 6 months to a year, the lady at the office stated I could get an apartment faster if I had a roommate coming with me in which case I don't know anybody that would roommate with me.

I am not going to a shelter downtown Indianapolis which is a 30 minute drive from here and I am scared to death of that city, too many crimes and gangs in that city. Screw that. Yes, I am a scaredy cat!

My sis has the list and is currently checking into them for me. I got it this Tuesday when I applied. So I'll be waiting to see what she finds.

Yizuman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit