Special Talk in April

by RubaDub 14 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Every year there is a "Special Talk" given around the end of March or April.

Having heard dozens of them over the years, I never quite figured out what was "Special" about them. Certainly no "new light" or anything ... just ... well .... the same stuff.

Am I correct or not in my observation ???

*****Rub a Dub

• ISP
    ISP

Its usually to try and soak up some memorial mugs that attended for the first time!

ISP

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Same old trash rehashed

• benext
    benext

The "specialness" come from it being a new outline and given at all KH's.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i quite enjoyed the special talk

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

And it's always a manuscript talk. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nina

• Matty
    Matty

Usually Public Talks are anything but public. They are usually designed for Jehovah's Witnesses alone and contain both counsel and dub-jargon that most non-Witnesses would just not understand at all. The outlines of these "Special" talks are designed to provide the audience with the simple message that the Witnesses give on the preaching work, so "studies" and "interested" people are encouaged to attend.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    Having heard dozens of them over the years, I never quite figured out what was "Special" about them. Certainly no "new light" or anything ... just ... well .... the same stuff.

Am I correct or not in my observation ???

I agree. My reaction has always been, "What is so special about this talk?" They were never worth the hype.

Most of ours were given by Fred Franz and the talk was always on the history of the Organization. Freddie was a fascinating man, and to be able to do what he did at 94 was remarkable. But the man could barely speak, and I never did understand what he was saying. If he had been an ordinary JW, he would not have qualified for giving special talks.

Ray Franz mentions in one of his books that special talks are sometimes given to justify the WTBS flying the brother out on his vacation. Since Fred Franz gave a few special talks in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, can anyone tell me if he had relatives or friends in the Ottawa area? Why would he go to Ottawa to give his very non-understandable talks? Political meetings with the govt. might be a reason, but something tells me the reason was personal.

Richard

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I remember being so disappointed with the special talks and district assemblies. They were always built up to be some special event with some "special new information".

I would arrive, sit through them, and then leave realizing that I had been jipped into getting some new 32 page booklet that was just a rehash of the old stuff.

So much for "New Light".

The few times they did release "New Light", it inevitably turned out to be a New Mistake that was replacing an Old Mistake. More "New Light"

• blondie
    blondie

There are "special talks" given the Sunday after the Memorial and then there are talks give at the Special Day assemblies where someone may be flown in from Bethel.

The first are manuscript talks for sure designed to reach those sporadic attenders and first time attenders who were at the memorial. The CO or DO can give this talk but usually it is a local brother chosen by the BOE.

The second are also manuscript talks (Fred Franz never kept to an outline let alone a manuscript) that are similar to the public talk given on Sunday at the circuit assembly. There used to be 2 2-day circuit assemblies. Now only one and a 1 day "special assembly." Most of the speakers have been Bethel elders with special dispensation from Brooklyn Bethel to travel to give talks. They are just as boring as the local brothers who sometimes give them. Circuits try to compare speakers, basically saying, "Our speaker is more important than yours."

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit