Canadians: what do you think of them ?

by RAYZORBLADE 55 Replies latest jw friends

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Well, most of the Canadians I've come in contact with have either been on the web or on the drivers I've met on the road. Most have been very nice...in spite of the fact that my very first girlfriend was Canadian...and she mercilessly used me and then dumped me. French Canadians are another thing entirely. I don't know why, but many times they seem to come across as very abrupt and rude. That probably isn't their intent, but that's how they come across. Even trying to just get directions from them on the CB brings harsh and abusive language. I usually reserve my opinion for an individual basis. Some people are just A-holes...doesn't matter where they live.

My dad, on the other hand....has a real thing against Canadians. It's actually pretty funny to hear him get all fired up about it. He is in the healthcare field in FL and comes into contact with many of the Snowbirds. He says that many of them bitch about how things are in this country yet they always come back to winter here. They bring their hearing aids to him for repair while they are down and then bitch because he doesn't give them the service for free...as they would get if they were at home in Canada. My dad is such an SOB, he'll sometimes charge them extra....kind of a Canadain excise tax or something.

Coon

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I had a friend living in BC Canada and visited several times. I like the area and the people had a little different attitude towards me than I see in the US but most were ok. I wouldn't mind living on the west coast of Canada. After I got assimilated into the community I think things would be much like here in the US.The further east I went in Canada the cooler the reception was from canadians.. I wonder why that is? All in all I liked the canadians and have thought several times of moving to BC Canada.

Outoftheorg

• stichione
    stichione

Actually Canadians are really Americans who have healthcare and don't carry guns.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

No, Canadians are not like Americans. There may be some simliarities... but not that much. Many of my friends over the years were from Canada. All the ones I have known are nice, polite, very laid back, and well mannered. They are (the ones I have known) NOT American... they are not loud, rude, or easily angered. Only thing I ever noticed is the French Canadians are tight, they never tip, and when they do the amount they tip is laughable.

• Mystla
    Mystla

Only things I really know about canadians is that they put gravy on their frys (eewww!) and that when my SO's brother was driving down from Alaska and had a flat, the gas station he went to had never heard of fix-a-flat, in fact they laughed at him for making up such a silly thing as a can you could fix a flat with.

Other than that, the few Canadians I've met were nice, so I don't have any problem with them. I have always wanted to visit BC, since it's just up the road.

Mystla

p.s. My SO has some wierd prejudice about Canadians, I'm not sure why.. of course he still refers to people who live in the states as "lower forty-eighters" (said with a derisive tone) Probably just some wierd Alaskan thing

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Canadians are fundamentally different from Americans. We speak almost the same language, wear the same clothes and eat the same food, but there is still a difference.

Canada is much bigger than the U.S. It's the second largest nation in the world. One of our provinces is five times the size of Texas. Quebec is slightly larger than all of Alaska. But our population is small, only about the size of California's. Our cities are smaller, and the distance between towns is greater.

The U.S. was settled by pioneers looking for political and religious freedom. Canada was settled by military men, sent by the kings of France and England to expand their power. Early U.S. settlers often fought with the native Americans, but the early Canadians cooperated and traded extensively with them. While Americans went to war for their independence, Canadians were quite happy to remain British subjects, and even fought against the Americans to preserve their status as subjects of the British government. Americans drew up their Constitution two hundred years ago, but Canada got its own Constitution only twenty years ago, in 1982. And we still hang on to our ties to Britain in our laws and government.

The American west was settled by wagon trains and six-guns, but Canada's west was opened by establishing branch stores of the Hudson Bay Company, an immensely prosperous fur and mineral trading monopoly and a well organized, very efficient national police force, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, famous for their bright red jackets and tall shiny boots. As a result, settlement of Canada's west was a much quieter orderly process than in the "Wild West," with its famous gunfighters and sheriffs.

I think many Canadians tend to be more liberal than Americans. One of our popular political parties would be rated as communistic by many Americans. I don't think Canadians attend church as much as Americans do. We do have what I think is a stronger sense of community, as opposed to nationality. Canadians can get all riled up with words, but I think they are less likely to give you an actual punch in the nose. I think we also have less road rage, even on Highway 401 in the Toronto area, said to be the world's busiest highway.

Canadians both love and hate the U.S. Probably what is disliked the most is that sometimes Americans appear to be a bit too pushy and act like they own everything. But, then again, we country folk say the same thing about people from Toronto and Montreal. We admit to having an inferiority complex, and we even criticize our own products which aren't in the least inferior to those of competitors anywhere in the world.

I've lived in both countries for many years. I think the people of both countries are the most blessed in all the world. There are lots of things to complain about, but upon deep reflection I think there are no better places on the planet, and the people of both countries are generally as nice as a person can find anywhere.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Canadians: what do you think of them ?

Why, I think they're quite tasty. I'll have two, thanks.

Dana

Edited coz something realllllly weird happened to the format!

Edited by - safe4kids on 5 February 2003 15:36:26

• Mary
    Mary

Dubla asked: mary- are you from the western part of canada by chance?

Nope, I'm in Ontario.........but I know that alot of Western Canadians share my opinion of our fearless leader in Ottawa..........

Coondawg said: French Canadians are another thing entirely. I don't know why, but many times they seem to come across as very abrupt and rude. That probably isn't their intent,

Trust me, it IS their intent.....Quebec would like to make it illegal to even speak English there, and last year a coffee shop had the audacity to have it's sign read "The Second Cup". Yes it was in ENGLISH and it was BOMBED by some fanatical french asshole..........

I love the States. I went to Disney World as a child and thought Florida was the greatest place on earth. If our frigging Canadian dollar (which rivals a U.S. Confederate dollar in terms of non-value) were worth more, I would love to travel more to the USA. (If you can believe it, 35 years ago, the Canadian dollar was actually worth more than the American dollar!!)

However Canada does have some bonuses that the States don't have: free health care, no taxes on your lottery winnings and better beer!!

Edited by - Mary on 5 February 2003 16:24:25

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

I dig Canadians. I have several Canadian friends in the Bay and they're ALL cool people.

Laid back, personable, fun, non-RACIST and genuine.

And the ones I know dig techno - an automatic plus in my book.

:-)

• dottie
    dottie

I am a proud Canaucker who loves this country that I'm in...wouldn't trade it for anything...ever!

I think alot of the canadians that I now slag on the americans cuz of the ignorance that some have...and they judge it as an opinion that the whole US has about us... the snow..the "american lite"....and how we talk eh??

to quote the terrific Joe Canada.....I ....AM....CANADIAN !!!!!!!

Dottie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit