For the One I Cannot Name

by Robdar 60 Replies latest social entertainment

• moonkiss
    moonkiss

This is Robyn. Sorry Simon, I felt that these remarks by Elsewhere should be addressed right now

Elsewhere,

There is nothing in my poem that suggests an affair. Go back and read it. The readers are the ones that interpret it that way.

The title is "For the One I Cannot Name" How do you know that I am not speaking to my dream lover that I hope to find one day and yet cannot name because I know him not?

I wrote this poem on a night that I was so spiritually and physically lonely I wanted to cry. I wrote this poem to feel better. I have hopes.

Why do you have to question them? Or make them into something nasty? Just what are you trying to imply by your post to my thread? What does my posts have to do with you or your happiness? Who are you to judge my art?

I post as I post. Do you post to get attention? Wait, sure you do.

I hardly think that you are one to be questioning my motives.

Robyn

Edited by - moonkiss on 10 February 2003 21:46:7

Edited by - moonkiss on 10 February 2003 21:57:20

• Solace
    Solace

Robyn,

I think what Elsewhere and others may be reacting to, is your general light treatment of your, "Fuck it, I think I'll die" comment after others had assumed it was referring to suicide. Those who have felt like dying, or do not care to live, may have felt slighted by the lighthearted way you worded it, or maybe just the casual way you spoke about it being, "just a poem" afterward.

Again, I am relieved that you werent serious about the ending of your poem, but I think many people can only wish their suicidal feelings were, "just a poem" to them. The fact is, these feelings are very real to some people. Many people struggle to keep from swallowing a bottle of pills, or slitting their wrists on a daily basis and may be sensitive to this subject.

If you dont want to tell anyone who you wrote the love poem about, I dont think you should have to. I dont believe its anyones buisness anyway, to tell you the truth.

You mentioned that you were depressed, crying and lonely when you wrote the poem, but yet you responded cheerfully and playfully to everyone who commented. The way you responded to the many people who posted, gave many of us the impression that you were happy and the person you spoke of in the poem really existed. That may be the way you handle things, I dont know, and if he does exist, its not our buisness.

I believe many people on the board are on gaurd right now. With everything that has been going on, people may be leery and not sure who to trust.

When something is posted, people usually assume the person who is writing, is telling the truth. The words may be not even have to be of much importance, "Im doing this", "Im going here" etc. but to find out later that that person has been fabricating stories or feelings, for whatever reason, can makes others feel uncomfortable and mistrust any future statements comming from this person, or from anyone for that matter.

This isnt just about poems or stories. Its about everything posted on the board. Of course things can be entertaining and fun and shouldnt always be taken seriously, but if someone notices that something they wrote is being taken out of context, they should clarify it right away, so as not to mislead anyone.

Edited by - heaven on 10 February 2003 23:36:20

• moonkiss
    moonkiss

Heaven,

Whereas I appreciate your response, art is made to be interpreted by the one who views it or reads it. That is what makes art a personal experience for the viewer.

Why would I want to explain to anybody where my inspiration came from? I don't think that I owe anybody an explanation regarding what I was feeling or thinking when I wrote this poem. However, because of Elsewhere's judgmental attitude, I finally decided to give a little input as to where my head and heart was that night. I do not feel like being judged by a poster on this board-- who hasnt a clue as to who I am, as doing or being something that I am not.

As far as me being depressed and crying the night I wrote this, where do you get that idea? I said I was spiritually and physically so lonely that I wanted to cry. I did not say that I did cry or that I was depressed. I wrote the poem to change my mood. Why shouldn't I joke and be happy with the posters that were playing with me? Their response made me happy. I do have a right to be happy?

I just wish that some people would leave me be and stop second guessing me when it comes to my art. (I am not speaking of you because I feel that you care about me and I appreciate that.) I feel as if I have been dragged in front of a JC.

Thanks for your concern, Heaven. You are a sweet person.

Love,

Robyn

Edited by - moonkiss on 11 February 2003 0:15:3

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you were Jewish, I'd think that this was written for Adonai . Yhwh. I'd give my.... er, never mind

• Solace
    Solace

Robyn,

I honestly dont think anyone is judging you. If they are, I dont agree with them.

I believe that some people may just be sensitive to certain subject matter and they may be just reacting to your casual, or lighthearted behavior on the very topic that they are most sensitive to. It happens, I know I have reacted strongly to certain topics myself in the past. I find myself shying away from abuse threads and threads discussing the JW blood doctrine, for this very reason.

Im guessing that some poeple may have also felt a bit mislead since they may feel that your responses led them to believe that the secret person in your love poem actually existed. Not that its anyones buisness anyway.

I believe that everyone should be able to express themselves. I really think that in light of recent happenings, many are just leery of what is written and are being more cautious, or are simply reacting based on their own personal experience with what you have written and how you are responding to them.

Edited by - heaven on 11 February 2003 1:7:29

• Robdar
    Robdar

If you were Jewish, I'd think that this was written for Adonai . Yhwh. I'd give my.... er, never mind

6, even though I am not Jewish, you are on target. I am not saying that the poem was written only for the aforementioned one. But definitely a good part of it was. In my mind, God, sex and art are connected.

I am so pleased that you caught that part of my poem. I look forward to meeting you.

Love,

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yeesh, why do folks have to completely deconstruct everything?
    Is that an ex-JW trait, or what?

This is in the "Art, Literature and Music" section, guys, under "Entertainment"!!!

If it had been posted in "Friends", "Personal Experiences", "Dating, Relationships & Sex" or "Mental Health & Depression" sections, I might have a better understanding of why people are getting their knickers in a twist. As it is, I cannot.

Robyn:
    Love the poem - there's a real intensity about it.

Six:
    That was insightful. Between that and the Barney pic, I'm starting to look at you in a whole new light

LT of the "I love the Art section, and want to just appreciate it for what it is - class"

• Robdar
    Robdar

Little Toe,

Thank you for succinctly explaining what I was trying to say last night but was too upset to relate properly. I am glad you like my poem and I am very glad you posted.

I look forward to meeting you.

Love,

Robyn

• Solace
    Solace

LT,

Not sure if you were refering to my having my knickers in a twist or not. I totally understand what you mean, certain things being considered entertainment and not to be taken seriously etc.

I am not offended or affected by Robs poems at all. I think they are very deep. I dont think everything should be analyzed either. My post was mainly about Robs comment about her poem regarding death being "just a poem" after many were concerned she was serious. I personally am not troubled by thoughts of suicide, but do I know others who are.

The sad truth is, if someone feeling suicidal hears someone taking the subject lightly, they may feel a little upset whether its written in the friends section, depression section or even the sports section.

I once read a joke on the board and I became totally upset because the thread title involved being gang raped. I really liked the person who posted it, and I still do, but at the time, I felt that she was making light and actually joking about being gang raped. I guess I was just more sensitive to it than others, and I found that out soon enough.

I have finally accepted the fact that I will probably never be able to laugh at everything that everyone else can. I have accepted the fact that I will probably always have to leave the theater, or turn the channel when a movie depicts rape, violence or things of that nature because I have lived through it.

These things are meant to be entertainment and I am aware that they are to some, even if others are sensitive to its contents.

I honestly wasnt judging. I guess I was just trying to explain why some people may be reacting the way they are. People just feel things, ya know?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Heaven:

Hiya.
    My comments weren't directed at any one individual, they were general (especially the bit about knickers - LOL).
    Further, I rarely get offended, and certainly didn't take offense at your posts.
    Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks - at last

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit