Joined an online meeting incognito

by joey jojo 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Got a link for a zoom meeting and thought Id share my experience about the mid-week meeting.

Guessing about 100 - 120 in cong.

50 on zoom, only 8 with cameras on - all elderly.

Watching from a detached point of view it's so obvious at how it is nothing but a glorified sales meeting, all designed to promote the org.

Inspirational videos about how everyone can/ should do more to help with projects, in particular how to look after the kingdom hall, complete with bar charts showing levels of achievement to aspire to.

Interestingly, tonights book study is about alcohol.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

WT HQ:

"Give until it hurts, than give some more!"

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    nothing but a glorified sales meeting....complete with bar charts showing levels of achievement

Compare that with one of Jesus' meetings:

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    Guessing about 100 - 120 in cong.
    50 on zoom, only 8 with cameras on - all elderly.

That tallies with my anecdotal experience, and shows another problem the org has created for itself.

About 50% of the congs I know of are still not coming to meetings in person, and that's definitely more than the number who are genuinely housebound or who have debilitating conditions that prevent them from attending regularly (usually no more than 10-15 people in any congregation). Of those who do attend on Zoom, hardly any turn their cameras on now.

The number of items at the midweek meeting promoting the org, it's own internal policies and procedures, and/or the GB have increased too, making it much less about Bible characters and principles as such, but more about worshipping an organisation and a body of men (even more than it used to be). Couple that with the dumbing down of the content from a few years ago when they scaled back any pretence at actually having a 'School', and you have a programme of content that few are likely to be motivated to come in person for, especially if they have to travel some distance, as they do in some countries, like the USA (not so much an issue here in the UK).

I've also noticed that the Announcements section at the end is becoming longer, often with several letters from the 'branch' to read out, meaning the last item gets cut short and rushed through for the sake of reading them all. So much for the "spiritual food from Jehovah's table" being so important - obviously not more than procedural documentation coming from NY or Chelmsford!

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

With all the push for more brothers to step up, it is almost a joke in that the meetings are now mostly video. Human participation is much less then ever and yes, people are still on zoom or phone due to age, illness or no masking policy, that the society pushed along with vaccinations so early on. D to D starts next monday in earnest - the recent assemblies show many seniors gone but baptisms still going on.

I do not hear such words as research, family study anymore- it seems to be a grade 3 level of study, nothing in depth, no real "meat"- parroting a sentence or two of what was just read. Most women give something that is a touch emotional, but anything of context is now lost, never to return. Research is a WT produced piece, something coloured by their own thinking processes out of the HIGH COURT of men backed by legalese.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    With all the push for more brothers to step up, it is almost a joke in that the meetings are now mostly video.

I agree. They even have videos in the CO visit nowadays, the one time when it was supposed to be more in depth and targetted for the benefit of the local congregation. Every week, whole items consist of just showing a video, or having a video and then no more than 3-4 questions based on what happened in it.

D to D starts next monday in earnest

I thought D to D resumed on September 1st 2022? There was an announcement to that effect, and D to D has been back in full here in the UK since then, but support for in-person groups in my circuit has been much lower than before COVID, even for the recent Memorial campaign.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How could you tell how many people were in the Kingdom Hall. Do they give you a view of the whole hall on the Zoom video?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    all elderly.
    Inspirational videos about how everyone can/ should do more

What a sick, disgusting fake religion. These paedophile enablers the Governing Body(tm) (Pee be upon them), should actually be doing more for the elderly. But they won't because they are corrupt grifters.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Do they announce the attendance from the pulpit? They used to do that when I was a regular. I wonder if they say how many are live and how many are remote.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

In my experience, they don't announce attendance anymore in regular meetings (they only used to do it for the public talk and for the Memorial) but they still do at assemblies and conventions.

What they have is a monthly attendance form on the noticeboard (the org does love forms) where they write the in-person and online attendances separately (with combined total) for each meeting. That's how I know the general attendance rate around my circuit is about a 50/50 split these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit