Stress of Going to a Summer Convention

by LostintheFog1999 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LongHaired:

"" What can people expect from clueless men shielded from reality and everyday life?? ""

Nothing practical.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LongHaired:

• ""Any working Witness who decided to attend some worthless time/waster convention and then lost their job surely learned the hard way not to listen to fools. This also goes double to any Witness who quit a decent job only to regret it later.""

I am sure as hell glad that I had 2 brain cells to rub together in order for my 'critical thinking' skills to kick-in and put to bed such stupid reasoning as to quit my job to attend some brainwashing session.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

ONE new watchtower, and ONE new awake?

Sounds like "The Slave" is cutting down on the food at the proper time. Nothing like trying to starve people you are supposed to be feeding!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Clearly an abundance of 'spiritual food', right?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The governing body decided one new public issue of Watchtower?

Was there a dispute that was brought to them for them to decide this?

It was more like a case of someone made a suggestion and the GB members agreed with it.

• lancelink
    lancelink

in the lat e70's several friends and I attended the Billings Montana assembly. We pitched our tents in the nearby fairgrounds, and took our showers in the buildings where they hosed cows and horses down. That was the most primitive experience. All through the assembly I felt so disconnected from reality, and mentally dirty because of the way we were living.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

As a teenager i liked going to the big assemblies--not with parents--no way ! Camping with my pals---eyeing up the girls and getting pissed.-

Then i ended up married to a born in ball breaker--and assemblies meant sitting on my ass all day attending the sessions--bored stiff and wanting a beer.

The final assembly for me was a big one at the old Wembley stadium London UK--it rained non stop and we went home early. Never again.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And I wonder if those cancer shots will be mandatory for anyone wishing to waste their time and money going to these things. Someone is usually there to record it on YouTube, and if I wish to waste the time, I can find videos right there. And so far, no mandatory cancer shots to watch those YouTube videos. And no lost jobs, or intrusive attendants either.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

I'm glad I nolonger have to waste my time at those con ventions.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

While some of the things I've seen and heard at summer conventions are directly responsible for me leaving the org, in general, I must admit that it wasn't all that bad.

paying high season hotel rates for themselves or their whole family to stay near the convention centre
    Generally, if you booked a hotel when the list came out, it wasn't that difficult. If you had serious financial issues, they'd find brothers and sisters in host cities where you could stay at. I know, I benefited from that arragement once.
    fighting coworkers and managers to get the time off work

They tell you 6 month ahead. If your job doesn't allow it, you've got a very bad job. Some JWs won full year salaries for being unjustly fired for attending their convention. In the end, its no worse than planning any other vacation.

travelling expenses, buying their own meals for the family
    When I was poor, we'd bring giant coolers to basically eat sandwiches for 3 days. Yeah, it sucked.

buying new shiny suits and dresses to impress (particularly if you have teenage girls who are looking for their prince), and more...
    Yeah, that was a major expense. Especially with kids who would outgrow their suits every year.

By the time they come home again and straight away back to work, their nerves will be so frazzled that their stress levels will have sky rocketed!
    I had made an habit of taking the monday off as well for that very purpose!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit