e-watchman.com: Stafford's Baby?

by Room 215 10 Replies latest social current

• Room 215
    Room 215

Just took a look at e-watchman.com on a referral from a poster here. Whatever one thinks of its agenda, its production values and composition are first-rate. It bears at least some of the stylistic earmarks of Greg Stafford. Do any of you know more about this project?

Regards from Two One Five

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I would say that this is no Stafford-thing; he is not that outspoken, he weighs arguments pro and con, and he would never write or say what they do on e-watchman.com. Stafford's topics are others. He is more one who refers to what one or others or some think. He is cautious, he knows he will be here for a very long time, and that his agenda, his goals, are long-termed. He cannot afford to be thrown out tomorrow, he is the hope for reform, and has got to stay.

• ExpandedMind
    ExpandedMind

Hi!

I don't think so... E-Watchman said something critical of Greg Stafford in one of the questions that he/she answered. Not that that in itself "proves" they are not the same, but it would seem odd.

I have found it facinating that there appears to be a movement among JWs to "reform" the Watchtower or at least figure out how to remain a JW when there is so much evidence that "something's wrong in Brooklyn".

One thing I've wondered about E-Watchman is how she/he can critique the WTS, pointing out it's errors in doctrine and prophesy without feeling that they are causing division in the congregation. Yet I get the impression from reading the E-Watchman site that if someone (other than E-Watchman) verbalizes their concerns to others in the congregation that this is wrong and is causing "division". It appears that, unless you are E-Watchman, you have no auhority to "expose" the WTS.

Anyone else who visit's the E-Watchman site, get this feeling? E-Watchman appears to think of her/his-self as "prophet-like", giving her/him the authority to say what he/she wants from the comfort of his/her anonymous website.

ExpandedMind

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size." --- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• Jourles
    Jourles

Not that it is very difficult to fake a registrant name, but here is the "official" person to whom the domain name is registered to:

Registrant Info:

Walter Reyes ( [email protected])
    905-873-4100
    115 Front St. E. Suite #192
    Toronto, ON M5A-4S6
    CA

And sometimes people will substitute "Suite" for an "Apartment" number to make it appear as a business address...

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hippie, Expanded Mind et al,

Whatever its source, the presence of e-watchman.com, as well as Stafford, is ample evidence that foment is percolating in Wachtowerland just under the surface of rigidly enforced conformity, at least among the diminishing number or JWs who have retained some semblance of thinking ability.

Given all the pressure imposed from the top down, it's perhaps inevitable that things would pop, like a fermentation vat without a vent. The only alternative to a ``pop" is an explosion.

• daytripper
    daytripper

The phone number used for the above listing is for the Canadian Branch of Jehovah's Witnesses. More info here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=38801&site=3

• abbagail
    abbagail

I wrote the e-Watchman a few comments from his online question page. That was back in December, and I got this reply (see further below). I discussed this with an xjw email group, and one member thought it was Simon, lol, and another person said they had a strong idea of who it was, but did not mention a name. Anyway, here's what e-Watchman had to say about a few things... FWIW...

(My questions/comments):
    What about the European Union being involved in the end-time prophecies? I noticed you mentioned (in one of your essays) some of the interpretations by the fundies. The EU connection is one I've seen mentioned on TV by several "preachers" who concentrate on prophecy (religious channel), but I did not see you mention the EU so far (I did a search/no match; and read most of your essays re: the last days, etc.) -- I find that the "fundies" explanations of the "end times" are quite fascinating (the roles of the EU, Russia, China/Korea, Israel, etc.) Might they have something as regards the EU and it's impact in all of this?

BTW, your "news/current events" page looks just like the one from Dr. Jack Van Impe, who is one of those "TV Preachers" I referred to.

I agree with your world-conspiracy theory, btw. Also, interesting about Britian as the King of the North. I hadn't heard that one yet. The "fundies" mentioned above still feel it is Russia. They tend to apply things literally which, I have to admit, is refreshing after having only been exposed to the WT's "spiritual application" of EVERYTHING. Some of what they say makes sense (on the surface at least).

One other thought: Surely you must know by now that poor Ray Franz was not disfellowshipped for "apostacy." I "assume" that is who you were referring to in this paragraph?? http://e-watchman.com/essays/antichrist/antichrist.htm ...
    "True to scripture, up to this point there have been many of Jehovah's Witnesses who have professed a heavenly hope that have apostatized from the truth and gone out of the organization. In recent years, one such individual was even a member of the Governing Body."

It's my understanding that when he (RF) tried to point out the error of the 607/1914 connection, they asked him to leave, paid him his 10 grand and sent him on his way lest he cause the entire house to crumble. Later eating with his landlord (a former JW), he was DF'd for that, though their wives were not DF'd. -- Or maybe you had another GB member in mind... If so, never mind! ;-)

Interesting, all the same, and nicely laid out website/pics, etc. I'm sure I'll visit again! Thanks.

----------
    Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:45:37 -0500
    To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.net
    Subject: Re: Question for the Watchman

>
    > question: What about the European Union being involved in the end-time
    > prophecies? I noticed you mentioned (in one of your essays) some of the
    > interpretations by the fundies. The EU connection is one I've seen mentioned
    > on TV by several "preachers" who concentrate on prophecy (religious channel),
    > but I did not see you mention the EU so far (I did a search/no match; and
    > read most of your essays re: the last days, etc.) -- I find that the
    > "fundies" explanations of the "end times" are quite fascinating (the roles of
    > the EU, Russia, China/Korea, Israel, etc.) Might they have something as
    > regards the EU and it's impact in all of this?

The purpose of the EU is to provide an alternative to the US financial
    hegemony. By combining markets the EURO has in recent weeks become valued more
    than the dollar. Yet Europe possesses no real military power that could rival
    that of the US.

As far as the notion that Russia is the king of the north, that idea goes all
    the way back to the mid 1800s when a evangelist named Darby first proposed the
    doctrine that the Jews were going to be brought back to Israel. The British
    Empire promoted that back then and has used it as a political wedge to assert
    Anglo influence into the Middle East. To this day Fundies peddle the absurd
    interpretaion that the Jews and Jerusalem have some special place in prophecy.
    I consider most of the Fundy preachers to be lunatics and pawns of the
    oligarchy, who are themselves mere pawns of the demons. Ironically, while we
    might view Fundy interpretations with some fascination and amusement, the whole
    Zionist doctrine in in fact the driving force and detonator for the Clash of
    Civilization, WWIII and Armageddon.

The Watchman

Notice he did not comment on the Ray Franz query!
    Grits

• joe_from_kokomo
    joe_from_kokomo

This is not Stafford's handiwork at all, but that of one Walter Reyes - whoever he may be. To his credit, I like the style of the Web site for the most part, and some of what I read there - the UN NGO piece is excellent - and he has some non-bitter, positive things to say, too, with interesting well-studied interpretations. But, alas, I have grown cynical of anything Borg-like now, and some of what he writes sounds like he either used or now works for the WTBTS Writing Department.

Tip for Wally: should you ever read this, kill the black background, please. Go with something offwhite or even a scroll-like color instead. Just my two cents.

But, at least, he can carry an original thought in his head after years of Borgdom servitude. (Careful, there Wally, when the society finds out you can think for yourself, you will no longer invited to say closing prayer, and your privileges will go bye-bye.)

Still, it is easy to pinpoint the authorship, without any shadow of a doubt, by reading the HTML source code of the individual essays, using the View Source option. He wrote them using Adobe GoLive6 and the author is, <drum roll, please>:

<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Walter Reyes">

Now, would the real Walter Reyes please stand up??

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

His site is good...I would send a jw there too look around...

• nakedmvistar
    nakedmvistar

I emailed e-watchman in regards to his website query showing the name Walter reyes and also about the Phone number showing the canadian branch office of WTS. He said he anticipated these forums would be checking up so he put a fake number and address to keep you apostates at bay. Sounds logical to me. Seems he was right after all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit