As a kid how did you survive the meetings?

by Parousia 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

My mom was very strict and watched me and my sis like a hawk! We even HAD to answer a certain # of questions or we'd get a beating when we got home.

So, we found a way to "look" like we were reading scriptures concerning the talks. When we were actually reading every scripture we could find about sex. I think we read the entire book of Levitcus several times over. :)

Also, the Song of Solomon. Boy, did we learn a lot!!!

Mom thought we were really buckling down!!

April

• dottie
    dottie

With a Big imagination....

Dottie

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm with ElseWhere, I slept through many of them when I was young.

Ken P.

• manon
    manon

I can honestly say for the first 9 years of my life I turned in the best sleep ever at the KH, especially during weekday meetings. Soon after that I would talk through the meetings with my siblings or cousins and pass notes. Oh yes, and lots of bathroom breaks. This was from ages 1-10 after that I became a proper christian.

Manon

P.S. Hats off to my mom for handling her children with patients, love, and understanding.

Edited by - manon on 2 February 2003 23:57:16

Edited by - manon on 2 February 2003 23:58:46

• freedom96
    freedom96

Sitting through the meetings was agonizing as a kid and adult. I never did quite figure out what to do to pass time. As a kid, I could not even play with a small toy. I had to sit there. All I could do was day dream.

• Scully
    Scully

One of my friends would sit across the aisle from me and make silly faces to try to get me to laugh. She had to be careful though because her parents sat behind her and her siblings so they could keep a better eye on their 5 children. If any of them got caught, it meant a trip down to the basement for a thrashing. The middle boy got it the worst...... almost at every meeting.

By the time I was 11 or 12, I figured out that if I brought a notepad and pencil to the meetings I could pretend to take notes of the talk. What I did was write down the scripture citations and alternate that with doodling.

It was also fun to deface the pictures in the WT. My mom even did that. Drawing moustaches on the ladies in the New System. Or drawing glasses (which you weren't supposed to need then) on different people. Or drawing extinct animals into the paradise pics (dodo birds and dinosaurs were favorites).

One of my brothers got in trouble for drawing nipples on the illustrations of "sisters" in the magazines. He tried to get away with it by saying he was just starting to draw flowers on the plain fabric of the dress....... uhhh yeah righhhtttttttt. heh heh

I have to admit that the funniest thing that ever happened at a meeting was when I was about 10 years old. The final prayer was being said..... the usual "thank you for the spiritual food... thank you for providing a wonderful brotherhood..... blah blah blah" and right in the middle of the prayer everyone heard the voice of a toddler blurt out "Hey Dewwik wook at my bum!!" as she bent over and showed her frilly leotards to her older brother.

Love, Scully

Edited by - Scully on 3 February 2003 0:53:38

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The meetings at the KH were very boring, especially the Watch Tower Study on Sunday afternoon. When I was Watch Tower Study conductor I had a hard time staying awake during the study and I was standing up. It was no wonder that half the congregation was asleep in their chairs. I haven't attended a Watch Tower Study in years. Does it still put you to sleep?

Athanasius

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Aztec, (got your name right)

the name of Barbara's book is called "Visions of Glory."

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

When I was really young, I went to sleep. When that was no longer acceptable, I drew pictures and filled in the letters. I really enjoyed adding beards and mustaches to the pictures in the magazines. Sometimes I would comment on a question, so that my mom would stop telling me to pay attention. When I was a teenager, I was looking for cute sisters and hoping for some cleavage of perhaps a silhouettes of their body as they walked by. What can I say, I was a horney teenager.

• greven
    greven

Lots of stuff mentioned here I did too. I would daydream, mimic people, draw odd stuff on the pictures in the magazines yes beards and moustaces but also out of place stuff like Jesus with a walkman or tattoo. I would then show it to my little sister that is very easely put into a laughing frenzy. heck, anything would do but listening.

Greven.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit