Reaching 40, whats all that about!

by Brummie 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Brummie
    Brummie

Nearly everyone I know is 40 yrs old this year, even today a good friend reached the big 40.

I'm 40 in September (OMG) and I dont feel any older than when I was 18. Do you? What was 40th like for you? Did you dread it, did you make a fuss? Did life begin?

Dont know if I care about it yet, I felt worse about becoming 30. Who knows, perhaps it will go un-noticed.

What do people mean when they say life begins at 40? Perhaps they mean its all sorted out by that age?

Brummie

Edited by - Brummie on 1 February 2003 16:24:17

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

Hey Brummie! By 40 I was well into my second childhood. Past 50 and I got to do the things I missed in my teens. Past 60.....the sky's the limit. Enjoy your age. Do everything you want to do. Remember to Play every day. Its very important.

Warrigal of the does what she wants ta do class

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

About the only thing I can say is, The older I get the less issues I have. about mid thirties a lot of long term issues, example: my " issue " with my father, disappeared. After 40 I cant even remember what my issue originally was.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Well I'm inspired by the both of you!

By 40 I was well into my second childhood. Past 50 and I got to do the things I missed in my teens. Past 60.....the sky's the limit. Enjoy your age

Thats a great outlook warrigal. I'm now thinking I will only have 1 year to enjoy being 40 so I'll make the most of it.

Thanks

brummie

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

40?....Age is a state of mind..I can remember people 20 years my junior saying:"Oh this new music is just awfull.I remember when I was growing up,music was good then." ..These people were old before their time,now they were talking the same way their close minded parents talked to them..You get old when you stop growing and can`t accept anything new.That can be at any age...OUTLAW

• Parousia
    Parousia

I turned 40 last Wednesday. Everytime I hit a milestone in my life I feel surprised.

Coinsidentally I stumbled onto the quote below on my birthday, and I thought, "No wonder I feel surprised. I never thought I'd live past elementary school!"

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/
    ***Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15*** "If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things...."

Actually, reading this quote made my day because instead of feeling sad to leave my thirties behind (like I had been), I suddenly felt grateful for the forty years I never expected to have!

Anyone else feel that way?

Myla

• Brummie
    Brummie

Happy 40th for last wednesday Myla!

That quote is a scream, I remember it well. Infact there is hardly a generation of Witnesses who were not told they would never have to go through school in this system...let alone grow old.

Thanks for the reminder, yep I feel the same way as you

Brummie

• blondie
    blondie

Better to reach 40 than not to reach it.

Here's to my brother-in-law who would have been 40 this year.

Blondie

• NoMoreJW
    NoMoreJW

Yep I`ll be 40 in August. I just lost a friend in a car accident so as Blondie says "Better to reach 40 than not".

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I am sure everyone has heard the saying: Life begins at 40

Honestly, I would have to agree, although I think a year or two before 40, one has lived enough of life to have more or less, got a good grip on things, overall.

I turned 40, this past September. I looked forward to it. I feel great, and I look good. But of course, I cannot let any of this trick me into thinking it's going to always stay that way, so being aware of this, I just look after myself a bit better.

40 is wonderful, and I think it can only get better from here. The wisdom one has gained through ones living experiences, make living, great! You just don't sweat the 'small stuff' anymore, and you can make quick decisions and resolve issues so much quicker than let's say 20 or 30.

40 is about oneself knowing and loving oneself. It's great! I look forward to 50, because another 10 years under my belt, will prove to be so much more incredible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit