The personal cost of Great Power Politics

by fulltimestudent 18 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

If you have not seen that image yet, it shows a young Syrian boy who drowned (possibly with his whole family) during their attempt to flee Syria and reach Greece.

If Donald Trump thinks the USA has a (economic?) refugee problem, then he ought to take a trip to Europe.

More at: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/02/shocking-image-of-drowned-syrian-boy-shows-tragic-plight-of-refugees

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I saw the picture, it made me cry. I wonder what individuals can do to help ease this suffering? Is the red cross doing anything? It seems crazy that more isn't being done except to shut borders and trains, when these people wouldn't be coming if they had any options.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Bashar Al-Assad, ISIS and all the other Syrian nutcases have a lot to answer for.

If only Saudi Arabia took in migrants like this poor boy, there would be no migrants drowning ...

• fulltimestudent
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Thinks have just gone from bad to worse. We need Armageddon to come and the Kingdom will set all matters straight.

Sigh..................

Doc

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What did the "great powers" do to create this refugee situation? It is ISIS and other not so great powers that are responsible for it.

As for the immigration problem I think that the West should stop all legal immigration but allow desperate refugees that have risked their lives temporary asylum. There is, unfortunately, a limit as to how many millions and tens of millions of people can be absorbed by any nation.

So long as the problems in that part of the world remain the refugee crisis is going to remain. The problems those nations are undergoing have to be resolved and that will probably require some level of military intervention.

Creative ideas in solving the issue are necessary. I don't pretend to have the answers but it's worth a brainstorm. Perhaps refugee men of military age can be trained to be soldiers and sent back to their countries in order to overthrow the governments/ISIS responsible for this mess.

Another idea is to invade those nations to keep ISIS in check and then arm the Kurds (not to be confused for the regular Sunnis who are reluctantly allying themselves with ISIS in response to Shiite persecution). I believe in the three nation solution for Iraq with autonomy also for the Kurds in other nations. They will fight to the death if we assist them and I don't mean the half ass containment policy that Obama has.

Something has to be done.

• kaik
    kaik

ISIS is not solvable in the present distribution of the coalition forces. The only better resolution is to give a Kurds own statehood at the expense of Syria, Iraq, and Turkey. Turkey does not want it and is fighting Kurds. Arabs, Irans are also against each other. Russia is supporting own fraction in Syria, while West another. Any direct land intervention would only mean escalation of war into states friendly to USA like Turkey and Jordan.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Village Idiot, The Russians have been arming Assad, the U.S. has been arming the rebels. Iran is in the mix too. But we cannot pretend the "Great Powers" are not involved in the problem. And those are the facts we have heard of, I am sure there is MUCH more going on behind closed doors.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It's crazy that Turkey is fighting the Kurds. Turkey has to face reality, the Kurds need their own homeland, any fool can see that. They have been victims of persecution for decades and more. Once they have their Kurdistan home they will be an allay of the west & a further bulwark against isis.

We can also aid this new nation to build a stable homeland for some of the present refugees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit