What to do when your family DOESN'T shun you...

by logansrun 11 Replies latest jw friends

• LB
    LB

Bradley I'm glad to see you slowing down. I always used to think I was going to get DFed for something dumb too. This year when I heard that the elders were going to pay visits to all inactive ones to try and catch them celebrating the holidays is when I decided to DA myself. This way my wife would just remain inactive and since she always follows theocratic direction and is submisive to Jehovah's arrangement of things (yeah right) she would have to allow me to be a pagan and do the holidays without getting in my way.

By doing this we are able to maintain contact with our son who is still a JW.

If the elders were not going out of their way to bust inactive JW's (as happened to Princess and her husband) I would have just been content to remain inactive.

By maintaining some relationship with your brother in law you'll be able to enjoy doing things such as spitting in his coffee when he isn't looking. You don't want to give that up do you?

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Brad, I can certainly see where you are coming from, and can certainly understand the feelings you have about your family, as I feel exactly the same way. I want to move on, to forget about my past horrendous experience as a JW, but while my family are avids JW's, I know that I will never truly be free from it. Most times I am around my family, I feel uncomfortable, subtle hints are made towards me about "The time of the end" constantly, and at the end of the association I feel angered and weakened, as well as hurt by their comments.

I feel as if I am the "Black Sheep" of the family, and know that no matter what acomplishments I acheive throughout my life, they will never ever be proud of me, as all that is important to them is my personal affiliation with a printing corporation. It also hurts me to think that my family members see me as "doomed", most likely cry over me at night, think of me as "In satans grasp". Everytime I think I am free from the resentment I once felt towards the WT, after one visit from my family, it all comes flooding back again, and yes, it is very hard to have any deep conversation whatsoever, for the WT permeates all of their thinking and opinions on almost any subject.

I feel that you received some good advice here:

Why would you want to play the JWs' game by writing a letter of disassociation

.This is true, please dont sever your ties with your family. Not only for this reason, but your family will see it as you not only rejecting Jehovah, but rejecting them, as you are aware of the consequences that result from such a formal dissasociation.

I am in exactly the same boat as you, and can only suggest the cliche' advice that "Time heals all wounds" after a while your family will come to grips that you will most likely not be coming back to the fold. Live your life, be happy. Show your family that you are happier NOT being a JW. My family can argue anything with me, but they cannot, beyond a shadow of a doubt argue against the FACT that I was a miserable person while a JW, they would be lying if they tried. Your confidence, stability and contentment of your life outside the org my friend, is the biggest impression you can make on your family. Try to let it go. Enjoy your life. Think how lucky you are - hey, you got out! Maybe one day, they will too, you just never know what the future holds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit