Kingdom Melodies Cassette No. 999999999........

by kimberly 25 Replies latest jw friends

• kimberly
    kimberly

Sad person that I am, I posted this yesterday, but the post seems to have self destructed......

Anyway, if anyone posted to the other thread wants to re-post to this one it would be much appreciated.

Alright, this is one of those ‘What was your favourite’ questions:

When you were a Witness (or even if you’re still reluctantly attached like me), did you have a favourite Kingdom Melody (why couldn’t they just be called hymns by the way)?

I remember thinking they were ok as a young child, but that was until I got to secondary school and heard the other kids singing ‘proper’ hymns in assembly, while I had to stand outside that I realised how inadequate they are. The one thing I notice about the updated songbook is that they are all written in a much higher key than most people can manage – when they’re sung at my hall, most people just mumble their way though them. Most sound like dirges rather than songs of praise. No one really seems to look forward to singing.

I visited the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last year, and in it was strange how in just the few minutes I spent in there, I was really moved by the music being played in there. Certainly a lot more moved than I’ve ever been moved in the (what seems like hundreds of) years I’ve been attending the Kingdom Hall.

I’ve been to two funerals for relatives that have passed away in recent years. At the first one (the non-Witness one) at the graveside, everyone knew the words to the hymns and sang harmonies to them – really moving. At my Witness relative’s funeral, everyone stood at the grave side wondering what to do until a sister started singing the first few lines of ‘Life Without End – at Last’. But for some reason, that song just sounded wrong to sung in that situation (in fact it was at that point where his wife broke down). Because no one knew the Witness ‘protocol’ for that sort of situation, you had a few half-heartedly join in the singing, but the rest just stood around looking awkward, unsure if we were ‘allowed’ to do that sort of thing at a graveside.

I remember years ago, certain brothers and sisters would get together to sing the songs a make up different melodies/harmonies to them and so forth, but all that was stopped. The thinking was that, unless you play it like it sounds on the cassette, you’re disrespecting Jehovah.

Anyway, the songs I absolutely hate are the ‘marriage’ songs (‘Marriage is God’s Arrangement’ – pass the sick bag – and the ‘children/youth’ songs (“they are gifts from God, He says use the rod”)

Anyway, does anyone have any favourites that they miss singing? Perhaps you might even admire the way they've managed to get the words 'efficacious' and 'ignominiously' to rhyme.

I personally think that the society has stifled so much talent by not encouraging 'real' singing. How many popular singers started out singing in their (gospel) church (ignoring Michael Jackson obviously).

I suppose my ‘favourite’ Kingdom Melody would be

‘Jehovah is my Shepherd’ (although I still prefer the ‘Christendom’ version of this song 'The Lord is my Shepherd').

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Hi Kimberly, you said:

Anyway, the songs I absolutely hate are the ‘marriage’ songs (‘Marriage is God’s Arrangement’ – pass the sick bag – and the ‘children/youth’ songs (“they are gifts from God, He says use the rod”)

A regular pioneer sister at my cong., whose father is an elder, who married a Bethel bro. and has since gone on to live there, used a song by Celine Dion from the movie, Titanic, to walk down the aisle with...as she probably didn't like the marriage song either. I don't like it myself. And when and if my daughter gets married, she will probably find something classical to use.

I also think many people don't have an understanding of what the rod means. I heard a brother give a talk on it one time, and he brought out that it was a shepherd's rod, which he uses to guide his sheep. The book of Proverbs, says "listen to discipline" not "feel discipline."

From the Planet of Florida.......
    FP

• TR
    TR

Hi Kimberly,

It's sad the JW's have to have a "protocol" do do things. And like you say, when they don't know what it is, the situation becomes grievously embarassing.

I don't know about a fav song, but I can think of a couple that I absolutely hated. One was "We are Jehovah's Witnesses". What a moronic song. I felt embarassed to sing it in front of JWs! The other one, I can't remember the title, but it had the line; "kiss the son lest God be angry and you perish in his way" or some dumbass thing like that.

The WTS sure has a lame way to go about doing everything they do. Their excuse is to be separate from the "world". What a flaky religion. I almost hate to admit to others that I was a JW. They get the look on their faces; "what the hell did you join them for, fool".

TR

• riz
    riz

Hi Kimberly,

Yesterday I commented on how I hated all of the kingdumb songs. I did remember one song though that made me laugh every time. It was the one that said "and all our foes shall lick the dust."

Oh that still gets me to this day. Lick the dust? What the hell?
    I could go on, but I will have nightmares tonight.

riz

• willy_think
    willy_think

"I visited the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris last year, and in it was strange how in just the few minutes I spent in there, I was really moved by the music being played in there. Certainly a lot more moved than I’ve ever been moved in the (what seems like hundreds of) years I’ve been attending the Kingdom Hall."

moving you is just what a cathedral is for. it is a place outside of this world, whan you walk in it is cooler then outside, the light is different, all is still, the songs are prayer, you can hear the worship in them, you are no longer in the world of men if you enter with an open mind it is not hard to let go of worldly things, you are in a place were you can be with god. ofcourse you can do that anywhere, but it is not allways easy. i found the KHs to be a place of men and not outside the world at all, i didn't see any worship in them only sad people snubbing eachother, it is more important there to be NOT catholic, than to sing TO god. episical churches and some other protesant churches are also good places to "be with god". but my personal favorit place to let go of the world is in the mountains.

country road take me home to the place that i love

the ideas and opinions expressed in this post do not necessiarly represent those of the WTB&TS inc. or any of it's subsidiary corporations.
  • unanswered
    unanswered

riz-i'm getting my tongue ready right now. i'm not sure how the "dust" will taste, but, however bad it is, i think it's probably a lot better eating the "spiritual food" we were given while in the WT. and how come it always smelled like cabbage? i'm sure you know where i'm going with that.:)-nate

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

TR......lol!

We're Jehovah's Witnesses
    We speak out in fearlessness
    Ours is the God of true prophecy.....(high pitch no one can get to.....nevermind the fact it's not true)

Can you play that on your guitar? After second thought...please don't! I already still can't get "Loyal Love" out of my head...thanks to Gopher & NameWitheld!!!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

<i>Anyway, the songs I absolutely hate are the ‘marriage’ songs (‘Marriage is God’s Arrangement’ – pass the sick bag – and the ‘children/youth’ songs (“they are gifts from God, He says use the rod”)</i>

Having never had the privilege of sitting through a KH "service", I can only guess what the singing of such songs is like. I picked up a copy of Sing Praises to Jehovah at a charity shop (interesting to see the 'Tower represented anywhere to do with charity!) some years ago and often turn to it when boredom sets in and I need a good laugh.

This one is one of the greats:

<b>The Women Are a Large Army</b>

<i>Jehovah himself gives the saying,The Women who go out to preach,
    All form a large army to witness, Humanity they want to reach,
    It means getting started right early, To look to one's household with care,
    By planning and dilligent forethought, In service they have a fine share.</i>

Just reading through the song titles can be amusing:

<b>Let's Watch How We Walk</b>

<b>Working Together In Unity</b>

<b>On Jehovah We Must Wait</b>

<b>Worship Jehovah During Youth</b>

<b>Do More - As the Nazirites Did</b>

• Tina
    Tina

Greetings,
    I thought they all pretty well sucked.
    They all sound like 1920's barber shop quartet music.or of that genre.........
    I remember folks trying to hit those high notes,and chills going down my spine lol.
    regards,Tina

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Kingdom songs: parts of them are good and original. Unfortunately the parts that are good are not original, and the parts that are original are not good.

Or in other words: melodies by <insert name of favourite ripped off composer>; lyrics by Yoda.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit